warning message from easier drag thread: visiting this page may harm your computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

dc2k08

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2008
.ie
www.e-cignews.com
Last edited:

dc2k08

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2008
.ie
www.e-cignews.com
if it is a file-hosting site, some-one must have done a dodgy upload causing the whole site to be blacklisted. funny its not warning you though.

from chrome:
What is the current listing status for www.karr-tv.com/?
Site is listed as suspicious - visiting this web site may harm your computer.

Part of this site was listed for suspicious activity 1 time(s) over the past 90 days.

What happened when Google visited this site?
Of the 19 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 1 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 08/23/2008, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 08/23/2008.

Malicious software includes 1 trojan(s). Successful infection resulted in an average of 47 new processes on the target machine.

Malicious software is hosted on 3 domain(s), including viacodecright1.com, viacodecright2.com, 91.203.92.0.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
That's funny ... and weird. Karr-tv is my site. I ran it for years before I disconnected from the Web by taking down the index page. I send files and photos to it, including video. The link was to my own site. That is weird. I have Chrome. I'll see what's happening. I know of no malicious software there, BTW. Not to say there can't be (the site was hacked thoroughly once and that helped convince me to "screw it all" and disconnect).

locha

Aug 19, 2008
Birmingham UK
Automatic process i believe. In general terms, there is something suspicious therefore you will be warned. Suspicious thing may be anything, weird (or zero sized) .jpg found by google spider. Thing is, all automated threat searches operates on false positives (same apply to your antivirus) so it is most propable that reported threat is false.

TB check for suspicious files, unless you dont have local access to ftp running av software might be impossible.

EDIT:
Ok, what is actually reported is html/Crypted.Gen. And that is AFAIK bit of a code that is encrypted, so spider cant see that. That's a generic name (again AFAIK, i'm not security prof) so possible solution is deleting all redundand code left on server and packing rest into neat .rar archive (unpack when needed).

Last edited:

dc2k08

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2008
.ie
www.e-cignews.com
bob, you had linked to it in those threads though? and since have taken it down? i didnt get the warning previously today when i was looking at the first thread. has either of you got the same warning when using chrome? locha, you seem to know a bit about this sort of thing, why was google telling me about successful trojans on 47 machines and malicious software? it was just a link that caused the warning right?

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
I've been downloading all files that I personally did not create -- for 3 hours now! It might take all night. I have so many flight simulator airplanes that I could start an air force. I store them all on the Web server site. I'll run a virus checker on the downloaded files to see if I can pinpoint the problem program. It certainly is nothing I've linked to here, eg. photos or videos.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
DC, your link could be very valuable. I'll run those webmaster tools and see what they come up with. As I mentioned, the site was hacked and the index page demolished. So I just took it all offline, so to speak, by not recreating the index page. It has hundreds of car reviews I've done over the past 10 years.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
It was the hacked index file causing the problem. My html editor program wouldn't even let me open it, because it was infected. I ditched it, but still get a warning message for the site. What a bummer.

I will tell you this: Say nasty, critical things about certain cult cars and you'll become a target. I had over 50 death threats -- seriously -- during my site's run (I was nasty to the Corvette and Jeep Wrangler). And the hacker demolished the site, leaving behind the trojan-loaded index page. But pointing to individual files, such as photos or videos, does not have a problem.

Still, I want those warnings gone! I'll work with the host to get things patched up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread