Warning: some copper no logo Nemesis clone parts are copper plated steel. VapeRoyalty is in discussions with the manufacturer on a solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hows it going guys, long time reader of ECF first time poster, I too ordered this mod as it was a steel (pun intended) of a price for an all copper mod. Ive had this mod for 2 weeks and it already has massive steel spots showing on the 18650 tube. from the day that it first started to tarninsh, this portion opf tubing stayed closest to copper color longest, so I assumed it had a better clear coat, but actually its stayed so pretty because it was slowly (more like quickly) coming off with the stainless shining beneath. talked to vape royalty and they Said the same thing that the manufacturer is Denying plating and stating that "The clear coat they use can cause a different chemical reaction in oxidation & show a steel color" Im Calling BS and they seem to be trying to Bluff their way out of this one. Im in discussions with possibly getting one of these clone cut in half down the middle so we can have solid evidence of the materials!

I will check back with this thread when I have more information!

UPDATE!: CASE SOLVED (?)

So I did some testing on my own and decided to scratch my pen purposely in different sections. I was Amazed to see that when i scratched the stainless steel looking blemishes, there was shiny copper underneath! seems to me there was a thin layer of steel plating covered with copper to possibly hold the clear coat better? or maybe it was an oxidation problem with the clear coat, I my self am just speculating! but I have attached a photo for you all to determine on your own!

VAPE ON! Copper Neme.jpg

EDIT: I cannot post links yet so unfortunately I cannot post the full size image :/

Last edited:

Prolikethis

Oct 4, 2013
USA
I also have this mod, got it a few days ago...

Its going to be very interesting to see how Vape Royalty handles this. In the mean time ill continue to use it as it still puts out the lowest voltage drop of all my mods...

its 100% cheap ... solid copper or its 100% cheap ... copper plated.

I guess time will tell i just hope not to much time...

Last edited:

wi11n

Oct 14, 2013
Usa
Well i wonder ifth mystery silver metal is zinc (white brass) If you look it up you'll find that you can turn pennys into a silver color and then a gold color. Those colors are white brass and brass. They are very thin layers that can be rubbed or scrapped off. The way to turn the white brass into gold brass is simply heat it up to 300 Celsius. So...lol who wants to test this out?

Prolikethis

Oct 4, 2013
USA
Well i wonder ifth mystery silver metal is zinc (white brass) If you look it up you'll find that you can turn pennys into a silver color and then a gold color. Those colors are white brass and brass. They are very thin layers that can be rubbed or scrapped off. The way to turn the white brass into gold brass is simply heat it up to 300 Celsius. So...lol who wants to test this out?

I would defanatly volunteer for this and you know i love torching my mods but i dont have any of the ss looking color showing through yet.. "Attaches steel wheel to drill..." Hehe

Stainless steel is non-ferrous until you knurl it, upon knurling it the molecules realign and just the raised knurled area is magnetic and not non knurled area!!
Um, yeah are you talking about the non-working magnet test theory ? Im confused as to what your referring to or speaking on.

wi11n

Oct 14, 2013
Usa
Guys, I'm surprised this Hamn't been mentioned already.

Many copper clone mods are made from copper, then nickel plated, then copper plated. This gives it a better finish.
Many? I wasnt aware that there were so many copper mods. Which ones in specific do you talk of? I would really like to know this so i can look into it ans possible put on my do not buy list. Thing about this though is i didnt buy my copper mod for its finish, I bought it because it was supposed to be 100% copper.

Duke Cummings

Verified Member
Sep 13, 2011
Grantville , GA
UPDATE!: CASE SOLVED (?)

So I did some testing on my own and decided to scratch my pen purposely in different sections. I was Amazed to see that when i scratched the stainless steel looking blemishes, there was shiny copper underneath! seems to me there was a thin layer of steel plating covered with copper to possibly hold the clear coat better? or maybe it was an oxidation problem with the clear coat, I my self am just speculating! but I have attached a photo for you all to determine on your own!

VAPE ON! View attachment 334159

EDIT: I cannot post links yet so unfortunately I cannot post the full size image :/

I also hit mine with a little scotch bright and there is NO sign of any other metal besides copper , and i think this mod is awesome !

Prolikethis

Oct 4, 2013
USA
Guys, I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned already.

Many copper clone mods are made from copper, then nickel plated, then copper plated. This gives it a better finish.

Yes im surprized too ^^ I haven't heard about this process that you speak of.

But..

If your statement is true, this doesn't change the fact that there is a problem with this mod. The copper should not be wearing off in a matter of a few days exposing the nickle.

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR
Yes im surprized too ^^ I haven't heard about this process that you speak of.

But..

If your statement is true, this doesn't change the fact that there is a problem with this mod. The copper should not be wearing off in a matter of a few days exposing the nickle.
Correct. The nickel plating was improperly prepared, otherwise, it would have been months at least before you realized anything was wrong.
Any highly polished copper mod should be considered suspect.
There is a thread or two discussing this on the FastTech forums. either in one of the copper Nemesis threads, or in one of the copper Stingray threads.

It could have been in one of the brass mod threads too or instead. Copper isn't the only mod material that gets plated.

Guys, I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned already.

thats exactly how my pen looks, as if it has a thin nickel plating over the copper, then replated with copper. the nickel is showing a ton so I may have to take some sandpaper to it and get down to the actual copper

wi11n

Oct 14, 2013
Usa
Well, i haven't received any uodate from vaperoyalty. Still not sure how they will handle this or even if at all. If the nickel plateing is true it was still never disclosed and from what i heard they are calling it a reaction to there clear coat process. They haven't actually stated that it was coated in nickel. One would think that if this was the case they would admit to it considering this would be normal practice. Sounds like they may be trying to stick their head in a hole hopeing this will go quiet. Has anyone else heard back from vaperoyalty on this?

DeepSix

Oct 21, 2013
Canada
This is interesting and it kind of bothers me...I am waiting for the copper nemesis from VR. The listing stated copper mech with no logos. Of course, the day they shipped I saw this thread. VR knew there were issues and still sold the units to get rid of their stock. They should have made mention of the issues with the unit in the listing. To me, this is bad marketing. If I would have known, I would have opted for the full copper version from hcigar instead. What I wanted was a no logo copper mech.

I have not contacted VR, but I think this does put a blemish on vaperoyalty's image and business practices. I am certainly not impressed, but for the price I am not going to raise a stink. I purchased a cheap mech that is a clone, I am confident it will work in the end, even if it will look like crap and not develop a nice patina.

The other interesting thing is that I recieved an email from vaperoyalty asking me to review the items I purchased, the one item that is NOT able to reviewed is the no logo copper nemesis. I think they also pulled the mech from the online store.

I kind of wish that the customer service section would send an email with an apology at the very least, but I doubt that will happen.

wi11n

Oct 14, 2013
Usa
Sorry to hear, a friend of mine received his the day i noticed mine showing wear. Yes VR has pulled the mod from there site. I agree they should have removed it sooner. But im sure they had to go through thorough investigation to be sure our claims were not false. It took them a few days after we notified them. I don't hold any sort of blaim on VR unless they choose to do nothing about it. Some sort of deal should be made such as an exchange or coupon should be made. I like you would have chosen the hcigar version if I'd known about this.

wi11n

Oct 14, 2013
Usa
Well i finally got a response back from Vaperoyalty
Thank you for your picture. We've been going back and forth with the manufacture for a few days and finally got some clarity on the logo-free Copper Nemesis mods. This has been a long and draining process which we were very upset with as we were very scared that we were not only given incorrect information that we passed along to our customers like you and lead you to believe they were in fact 100% copper instead of copper plated, buy also we were afraid we just way overpaid for extremely expensive copper plated silver Nemesis Mods. The logo-free copper Nemesis mods were never supposed to be a money maker for us. Like all of our products, we offer them right around cost because we genuinely care about our customers and want everyone to be able to afford a copper Nemesis or a copper mod in general. The logo-frees were by far the slimmest margin out of any products we offered though and due to our ultra-cheap price we sold out of a thousand of them in about a week..

Back to what we found out. The manufacture added a very thin clear coat to the logo-free Copper Nemesis mods when they made them to help slow down the oxidation process of the copper. Now here is the strange part, there is something to do with the heat and chemical reaction causing the clear coat to turn the mod silver over time. We are not chemists here although with times like these we'd love to have one working for us, but for whatever reason, although they are turning silver, they are in fact 100% copper. With the help of one of our customers who was also determined to figure out the truth, we did a scratch test on the silver area on one of our customer's logo free copper nemesis and BAM, there's copper underneath confirming they are in fact genuine copper mods. While the silver is annoying and me owning a copper nemesis (logo-free) personally as I'm tying to you and vaping on it right now, I'm still scared mine will eventually turn silver in spots as well. I've had mine before we even put them up on the website and haven't had an issue. We haven't even gotten that many people reporting the silver issue either so it seems like some are having this reaction and others aren't. I'm not sure if different states have different water, or the customers having these issues have a different body chemistry or what, but we did confirm with 1 lab after about an hour on the phone with them that certain chemicals reactions with this clear coat can occur and it really depends on who owns them (whatever that means.) So to answer your question, yes they are 100% copper and I did attach the scratch test picture which is crazy to try to understand it all, but the reason why they hit this hard is because they are copper and not copper plated :) And I know that doesn't really help the fact that yours is turning leopard print but we're thinking ...or hoping over time the silver reaction with the clear coat will wear off and turn back copper. If we do re-order these I guess it might be best we specifically request no clear coat though. I'm not sure if we'll get these back in but it's kind of a catch 22 how we paid extra for a clear coat trying to be nice and help our customers out and it ended up sort of back-firing ): We're also very sorry about this mess. I can promise you we didn't know this would happen and never had bad intentions and at least we are able to prove they are in fact copper and not copper plated. If we were bad people or were out to trick people, we wouldn't be using the same products ourselves and I think no one would trust us and be repeat customers which we have tons of. We pride ourselves on offering the latest and greatest with the best quality at the best prices so this one definitely through us through a loop!.

Best Regards,

Vape Royalty
Vape Royalty Offers HCigar Mods, Custom Bling Vapes, Custom Bling Mods, 3D Bling Vapes, HCigar Nemesis Mods
Vape Royalty Offers HCigar Mods, Custom Bling Vapes, Custom Bling Mods, 3D Bling Vapes, HCigar Nemesis Mods

On Fri, May 9, 2014 at 5:51 AM

This is interesting and it kind of bothers me...I am waiting for the copper nemesis from VR. The listing stated copper mech with no logos. Of course, the day they shipped I saw this thread. VR knew there were issues and still sold the units to get rid of their stock. They should have made mention of the issues with the unit in the listing. To me, this is bad marketing. If I would have known, I would have opted for the full copper version from hcigar instead. What I wanted was a no logo copper mech.

I have not contacted VR, but I think this does put a blemish on vaperoyalty's image and business practices. I am certainly not impressed, but for the price I am not going to raise a stink. I purchased a cheap mech that is a clone, I am confident it will work in the end, even if it will look like crap and not develop a nice patina.

The other interesting thing is that I recieved an email from vaperoyalty asking me to review the items I purchased, the one item that is NOT able to reviewed is the no logo copper nemesis. I think they also pulled the mech from the online store.

I kind of wish that the customer service section would send an email with an apology at the very least, but I doubt that will happen.

From everything ive heard from VR (and they've been emailing me back in for extensively) they really didnt know, they bought them from a manufacturer in china, only purchased a thousand, and this week is the first theyve heard of people having these problems. sounds to me like the manufacturer is trying to cover their ... and VR is getting the bad rep for it. thankfully they are still trying to come up with a solution.

My solution will be to grab a dremel and sand this baby down a bit till the copper shows, not a big deal to me. im just happy its actually copper. VR claims this product they make the smallest margin on for the low price point, and I believe them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread