Was I ripped off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few months ago I got an ego-T starter kit from a local retailer. At the time I knew nothing much at all about vaping and just assumed, although no claims were made, that it was produced by Joyetech. Well, I thought I lost a battery so I ordered a twist from myFreedomSmokes and started noticing differences. First thing I noticed was how the atomizers, my sailebao clearomizer and DCT tank all fit differently on the T's than the twist. Then I noticed no Joyetech emblem on the end of the ego t batteries, etc. and realized I had apparently bought fakes and at way too high of a price. Now, since there was no claim made that these were made by Joyetech am I still within my rights to go ask for my money back since I assume the eGo T is a patented product with a copyrighted name or have I just been ripped off totally?

fourthrok

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Watertown, NY
There are many "imitation" Joyetech eGo products on the market. Some work fine and while not "genuine" they are perfectly acceptable. The name "eGo" is used pretty indiscriminatly really. Sort of like calling tissue Kleenex regardless of it's actual manufacturer. As for price...you may have been, but that can happen with any product. You really don't have much recourse at this point. Count it as a lesson learned.

Mark Byrd

Apr 11, 2013
Vilas, NC, USA
If it doesn't say joyetech in the description wherever you bought it then I don't think you can expect a refund. But you can always ask ... Ego is used in a lot of descriptions to describe the threading of the battery and compatibility with other hardware. I wouldn't say you got ripped off per se as the prices for those batteries vary so much , it's really just a matter of finding the right vendor for you. Check these forums next time and look up reviews on sites you want to buy from before you place the order

RooRooBears

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 25, 2013
California
Joyetech has a list of authorized suppliers on their website. Also a blacklist of known vendors selling obvious fakes.
I own both types of eGo kits.
Joye doesn't make a twist in a mini.
So I bought a 400 mah Spinner.

There's your answer. That's what I would recommend doing. If they're blacklisted - sorry, you got jiffed. Beware of imitations that a lot of stores try to sell - that's how they make a good profit. You can look through the trusted list of vendors on ECF and be sure to get legitimate products you'll be happy with.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
Not every vendor who is authorized appears on the Joyetech site, but vendors who do sell authentic products usually go out of their way to announce products are the "name brand," whether it be Joyetech (sometime shortened to "Joye")" "Vision," "Kanger," etc. Looking for the logo helps - this is what Joyetech's looks like:

joyetechlogo.jpg

Last edited:

Apptiger

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
West Central Florida
A few months ago I got an ego-T starter kit from a local retailer. At the time I knew nothing much at all about vaping and just assumed, although no claims were made, that it was produced by Joyetech. Well, I thought I lost a battery so I ordered a twist from myFreedomSmokes and started noticing differences. First thing I noticed was how the atomizers, my sailebao clearomizer and DCT tank all fit differently on the T's than the twist. Then I noticed no Joyetech emblem on the end of the ego t batteries, etc. and realized I had apparently bought fakes and at way too high of a price. Now, since there was no claim made that these were made by Joyetech am I still within my rights to go ask for my money back since I assume the eGo T is a patented product with a copyrighted name or have I just been ripped off totally?

You were probably not ripped off. Unless the vendor actually represented them as Joyetech brand and they are not.Ego denotes more of a style of battery/connection etc. than a brand. Understand some are quite good and some are trash.
Your local brick and mortar has higher overhead than most internet retailers. For that reason, goods at a brick and mortar are usually a little higher in price than those online.
You can however choose to take your business elsewhere. As mentioned. I would visit the Joyetech site and look for genuine Joyetech Dealers. There are plenty of good ones out there.

Might mention it to your local dealer and you can always ask, but I would chalk this one up as a lesson learned. Enjoy them as long as they last.

Thanks for all the help. This was a shop so it wouldn't have been on the list but I know what the real ones look like now anyway, and they work fine plus imo the threads fit better. Anyway, its just odd imo that they don't have their product trademarked. Its one thing to label an offbrand battery as compatible with ego/510 threads and another to straight up call it an ego. There were a lot of sonic toothbrushes but only one Sonicare ya know? Ok, thanks guys, ttyl.

ilovehugehits

Moved On
Jan 28, 2013
Minnesota
I have two 420 mah eGo mini knockoffs.
They're very small & work great.
Charge up very quickly.
Bought them from a reputable juice vendor, as part of a juice sampler.
Joyetech warns that you should only use Joye chargers with Joye batteries. Other ones may work. But if they don't it will void the warranty. Another good reason to buy a spinner.

Rasputin!

Apr 26, 2013
Portland, OR, USA
No, you didn't get ripped off per se, as long as the battery worked... Also its my understanding that JoyeTech actually isn't the original designer of the eGo style battery. I seem to remember that they were the first to market with them because they were contracted to manufacture them for Ovale or Jarty and JoyeTech actually started "counterfieting" and selling them before the "real" ones got to market. Apparently this kind of tomfoolery is fairly common in China and because they were first to market they can "legitimately" claim to be the "original" eGo...

ilovehugehits

Moved On
Jan 28, 2013
Minnesota
StarDose:9402527 said:
I didn't realize spinner had a mini, time for a new toy.

The mini spinner is amazing.
It's only available in black or stainless.
Bought the stainless with a matching cone.
It will replace my Blu 100 @ work!
SmokTek has lightning fast shipping.
Ordered on Friday. In my mailbox on Monday.
They'll get my business again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread