Not open for further replies.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
It is a little strange to me to see a growing number of new vapers starting out with pod systems and not knowing much else about what else is out there in the way of hardware. I can think of at least 6 or 7 people at work who only use pods and have no interest in anything else.
I don't think this is strange. Think back to combustible tobacco. The vast majority of smokers used mass-produced, standard disposable pods (cigarettes). Few wanted to be bothered filling their own pods (RYO). Fewer still used high-end pods (cigars), or true open systems that allowed for custom blends of flavored tobacco (pipes) because they required maintenance.

bask

ECF Veteran
Dec 17, 2012
The Euroneous Zone
I think part of it is that Youtube enabled the direct transference of knowledge and opinion, but also turned us into info junkies. Which keeps being fun until you’ve either hit a plateau (like how many videos do you actually need to figure out how to coil and wick, really?!) and/or the market gets saturated and innovations don’t really cater to your specific needs and interests anymore.
It can still feed shinyitis, but after 3 unboxings and 50 coil builds there really is no need to watch a 20 minute vid about a product anymore. Unless it’s something absolutely awesome, unique, fancy or something you really think you want or whatever. But still…

Rebuildable PODs with good adjustable airflow and a new breakthrough on the front of batteries (compact power) would be serious improvements. Otherwise it’s just China [insert Trump gif here] churning out similar crap.

Vicman

ECF Veteran
Jun 6, 2014
Chicago
I'm the opposite, I watch the pod reviews and skip most of the other stuff. Pods are what interests me as I'm the weirdo that uses pods exclusively. I will watch some of mod/tank/rda reviews but only for entertainment purpose.

It seems pods have taken over much of the innovation in vaping gear but I think it is an over correction. For years the beginner market was neglected with large sub ohm high powered stuff being marketed as "starter kits". Now it seems the starter kits/pod system gear has flooded the market. The pendulum will swing back one day. It might take some innovation where a new trend arises. Then the market will be flooded with everyone making a new product to fit that trend. Just seems to be the cycle.

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
safe distance from a black hole
I think the first yt vid I watched right through regarding vaping was a "how to" vid regarding coils and wicking. I think it was a Russian guy, I didnt understand a word but the visual was fine.
I respond better to written reviews. Generally the yt reviewer gets off track and for too long. Often they inject too much of their own opinion and bias, and sometimes too much of their personality.
With a written review the writer needs to stay on target, be succinct but cover every important aspect of a device.

One hilarious thing I have picked up on with yt vid reviewers is where they finish coiling and wicking and then say, "right, lets go back up top and vape this". Some times they just stay where they are. There is no up top. Ive even read a review where the writer says, "so, back up on top, how does it vape"
Its like the reviewers in their naivety heard it so many times they thought it was a cool, hip and trendy catch phrase rather than a way to explain a change in location.

Anyway, back up on top, so what are my thoughts on yt vape reviews?
All the reviewers are related, they have the same last name, Vapes. Thats a pro and a con.
I like Mike Vapes and SMM designed RTA's and RDA's, Im going to give that a pro
Each reviewer tends to wick every RTA the same way they wick every previous rta they have reviewed. I dont know if thats a pro or con, I think its subjective, you will have to make up your own mind about that one.

So there you have it, the youtube vape reviewer review with Jebbn Vapes

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
Can't say I ever watched a vape vid that hooked me enough to watch all the way through. Reviewers are average Joe's, and I doubt any of them have studied broadcast journalism. They generally just hit-and-miss points with little structure or scripting (cue cards? teleprompter?) to move the review along.

I learned how to build mods early-on, found squonking and DIY, so unless there is a specific perspective view angle I am trying to see, I don't even glance at video reviews. I was friendly acquaintance with Dimitris (can't spell his last name lol) (The Vaping Greek) in real life, years ago, and never tuned into VPLive Vape Team, not once.

I don't watch much TV, either, though, so nyah. :p

CublalaLand

Moved On
Jun 26, 2019
They've probably done the math and figured they've fulfilled the market quota of 'people who smoke who want to quit and are intelligent enough to do open systems' plus 'those that already have 15 devices and aren't going to buy more', and are really marketing specifically towards the youth, the most likely to pick up smoking. Most people pick up smoking during their teen or young adult years, so that's who they've shifted to. There won't ever be an end to the supply of people who want to give up pod-systems for something beefier, but that market has been saturated.

Frankly, I've been amazed for the past few years at vape product variety and variation, and wondering how such a relatively small segment of the overall population could support so much saturation. It only makes sense, if you really think about it. I'm never buying a pod.

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Before buying my Billet Box I loved to carry an AIO around. The Joyetech Evic AIO was my thing, although heads were leaky and temperamental. I was very sad when I stopped finding heads. Most AIO are underpowered, and still there aren't many BB related reviews. I'd go back watching reviews if I find a decent AIO with VW. And no, I won't recommend a pod for a beginner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread