We need public support....

Status
Not open for further replies.

swampergene

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2014
Slatington, PA, USA
I've been thinking, it amazes me how many stories and "causes" I know things about that have little or nothing to do with me. Yet I know about them. And it all comes from the viral effect of FaceBook. In fact, there's many things I'd likely know NOTHING about had it not been for some stupid little graphic or meme or whatever. The recent discrimination thing in Arizona is a great example of the power of social networking. It's the friend of a friend of a friend thing, and stuff just goes viral.

But I haven't seen anything pro or con about vaping, so I can't help but wonder...shouldn't we be using FaceBook to help spread the word? Not so much about the practice of vaping, but about the benefits it provides. Things that will tug at people's heartstrings. I look at things like the run of Terrie Hall ads and commercials and think...wow, we have to trump THIS?!?! Maybe we can figure out how to play that game too. Maybe even use former "degrading" or demoralizing themes to our advantage, as well as teaching the general public to separate us from smoking. I dunno, it just seems that as a cause, we're missing something here.

And before anyone says "Already did"...I'd just like to politely point out that well...I ain't seen it yet. lol

swampergene

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2014
Slatington, PA, USA
One point to add to this is that we as individuals are not bound by laws that restrict business entities from making any health claims. An e-cig manufacturer can not make any claims or suggestions regarding the health benefits of vaping, but you or I as individuals CAN. It is perfectly legal to say "Using e-cigarettes may significantly reduce your chances of developing cancer." Just gotta be sure it reads like a suggestion or opinion and not a statement of fact, unless of course it is a fact :)

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
I've been thinking, it amazes me how many stories and "causes" I know things about that have little or nothing to do with me. Yet I know about them. And it all comes from the viral effect of FaceBook. In fact, there's many things I'd likely know NOTHING about had it not been for some stupid little graphic or meme or whatever. The recent discrimination thing in Arizona is a great example of the power of social networking. It's the friend of a friend of a friend thing, and stuff just goes viral.

But I haven't seen anything pro or con about vaping, so I can't help but wonder...shouldn't we be using FaceBook to help spread the word? Not so much about the practice of vaping, but about the benefits it provides. Things that will tug at people's heartstrings. I look at things like the run of Terrie Hall ads and commercials and think...wow, we have to trump THIS?!?! Maybe we can figure out how to play that game too. Maybe even use former "degrading" or demoralizing themes to our advantage, as well as teaching the general public to separate us from smoking. I dunno, it just seems that as a cause, we're missing something here.

And before anyone says "Already did"...I'd just like to politely point out that well...I ain't seen it yet. lol
Yes, great points!
There is a great group on FB who you tubes, called I'm proof spelled imProof.

swampergene

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2014
Slatington, PA, USA
Good links both of you, but it's a little different than what I mean. What I'm thinking is stuff that will get "regular folks" spreading the news. Like one of those things where you have "share" or Like".

For example, a quick one I just threw together, and this is really tame but still makes a point. Ultimately I'd add to it "Share if you have a friend or loved one you'd like to quit smoking" and there ya go. Cold then have it link to news, groups, etc that would educate people about vaping. But we need THEM spreading the word with us :)

ecigvscig.jpg

Kellysleep

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 3, 2014
Lynchburg,VA,USA
Good links both of you, but it's a little different than what I mean. What I'm thinking is stuff that will get "regular folks" spreading the news. Like one of those things where you have "share" or Like".

For example, a quick one I just threw together, and this is really tame but still makes a point. Ultimately I'd add to it "Share if you have a friend or loved one you'd like to quit smoking" and there ya go. Cold then have it link to news, groups, etc that would educate people about vaping. But we need THEM spreading the word with us :)

View attachment 317737

Ok I took your pic and used in on my face book page great idea lets get this thing spread! Kelly campbell is my name if anyone from here want to befriend me from lynchburg va!

swampergene

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2014
Slatington, PA, USA
Thanks! I gotta redo the flag one, it's bigger than what it shows here. It says:

We've paid our "sin taxes". We've been pushed into the darkest corners of society for the safety of others. We've suffered the ill health and deaths that smoking has brought us.

Today, we have found our own alternative. Your shallow attempts to "ban" us once again will not go unanswered. And we will not allow you to call our desire for health a "sin" subject to another tax. To you, we say this....... OUT!

swampergene

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2014
Slatington, PA, USA
You know, the "baby" pic got me doing some thinking and a little research. I wonder if the subject of that one could become a legal twist that could be used to our advantage? A law can not put a subject in harm's way, and by forcing us to practice our right to vape in smoking areas, we are being subjected to the second hand smoke that they themselves have deemed harmful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread