Website design factor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zzooti

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2011
Brunswick, Maine
Does the way a web store sets up their website influence your decision to buy from them? Personally, I find websites that are difficult to navigate, difficult to find the thing that led you there in the first place, and immedietly bombard you with pics of products they want you to buy, make me want to move on quickly to somewhere else that makes you feel more like a customer and less like a target.

madjack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2011
Central Louisiana
...ease of navigation is my first desire in a site..simple and easy to find what you want is the ticket...an adequate description is next(honest reviews a big plus)...I will leave a site where you havvta jump thru hoops to find whatcha want...I also hate dancing pics of batts or bears or kids or anything and absolutely DETEST music and videos that start up whey you get to a site...a quick "X" for them, never to return...........
madjack:2cool:

grandmato5

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2010
WNY
I'm a price shopper and I only look at what I'm interested in purchasing not what the vendor wants me to purchase. While I have found some websites easier to navigate then others I've never run across one I couldn't navigate to find what I was looking for. I only purchase from vendors here on ECF with reputations I consider to be good. If a vendors actions here aren't what I consider good then it makes no difference what their website looks like because I'm simply not looking at their website nor making any purchases from them no matter what their prices.

StotheK

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2011
Knoxville
www.stevevape.com
web design is an important factor in any store, not just e-cigs. Let's face it, if a site looks terrible, people tend to think it's not a reputable business. Generally that's not true, but people tend to equate the two. I tend to shy away from badly designed sites unless I know that business very well.

VapApe

ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2011
Ohio
web design is an important factor in any store, not just e-cigs. Let's face it, if a site looks terrible, people tend to think it's not a reputable business. Generally that's not true, but people tend to equate the two. I tend to shy away from badly designed sites unless I know that business very well.

This is true but I have seen sites that put all there time and money, into there web site an marketing and very little on there products. Kind of like used car sales men.

Sa Da Tay

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2011
Austin, Texas
I'm glad the OP brought this up as I think it's another unrecognized (until now) barrier to wider acceptance of the e-cig industry. As noted already in this thread, there are some atrocious vendor websites out there- both from usability and aesthetic standpoints. I have to say that if I wasn't so obsessive about researching this world before entering it and searching out vendor reviews on here and elsewhere, I probably wouldn't have patronized half the vendors I do. I say this not really in offense to the vendors themselves (although as noted some websites are unforgivable) because I know most of them are tiny businesses working with what they have. But the fact remains that an online business is judged greatly upon their facade/website, and bad web design doesn't instill confidence in the uninitiated, especially when they are considering a product with personal health implications.

If I was a vendor without much cash and no access to tasteful design (I'm wording that carefully :blush:), I would concentrate on simple, elegant usability with a minimum of amateurish graphics. I would try as much as possible though to pay a decent graphic designer to brand my company and create a professional graphical aesthetic for my website (and packaging etc). This of course is assuming I'm trying to grow my business. Some vendors are obviously one person ventures who are probably happy with their current customer base and don't wish to expand, and that's fine. On the other hand there are the larger vendors who pour too much money into something that looks just like a .......... Not good.

I would also suggest including very clearly on the home page a description of the company along with a statement of quality. "I only use the best xxxxx obtained from xxxxxx with a commitment to quality etc etc.". Again, this is selling a health-sensitive product and visitors want to feel assured they are safe in ordering from the business. Don't bury this info somewhere else on the site or, worst of all, not include it at all.

And that's my website rant!

Sanity Challenged

ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2011
Kalamazoo, MI
Since I write software for a living, bad software sticks out like a sore thumb to me and I can't stand it. I don't care if its a little ugly, but violating basic principles of presenting information sends me clicking away.

Somewhat related - if your starter kit doesn't include an owner's manual, why isn't there one on your website? Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I found the ECF, but don't you want your customers to be successful in enjoying their new product?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread