Well, my mechanical mod went BOOM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

caferacer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2015
Los Angeles
Mmmmkay, go into any vape shop and buy a mech, then ask if they will replace it if you vent a battery in it and it explodes. Please do video their reaction it will be funny. :thumb:

Whatever dude. I guess I'm just not as cynical as you. It sounds like the shop owner stands by the products he sells and if OP is a regular customer who has a good relationship with the shop, I find nothing suspect about the owner offering to replace his device for free. To each his own.

TorontoOntario

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2014
Canada
I keep thinking about what would've happened if it had blown up on the (presumably crowded) street car. SMH...

Toronto street cars are always crowed. Some one would of gotten hurt, hopefully just the op (I am glad you didn't but if someone got hurt it wouldn't really be fair for it to be a little kid or something and not you [edited])

Last edited by a moderator:

Equilibrium

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2014
Georgia
Whatever dude. I guess I'm just not as cynical as you. It sounds like the shop owner stands by the products he sells and if OP is a regular customer who has a good relationship with the shop, I find nothing suspect about the owner offering to replace his device for free. To each his own.

It wasn't the shop owners fault. It was operator error. I'm close friends with the owner of the shop I frequent and he wouldn't replace a mod that I vented a battery in. I wouldn't expect him to either. I probably wouldn't even tell him. If I did, I would go in with my head down low and being the person that I am, I would refuse to allow him to replace it for free. My mistake. Not his.

sFi_stickwack.gif .... be more careful!!

Kevin littell

ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2011
Covington Ga
There is three threads on this page alone where someone has shorted, vented or exploded a battery because of operator negligence. UNACCEPTABLE!!

I'm not entirely sure this is negligence.....

This particular mod has history.

I live in a glass house too so I refrain from rock slinging....

And that is my official suggestion.

TorontoOntario

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2014
Canada
Thank god it ruptured out of public view... would have been a Toronto 100% ecig ban tomorrow if it had gone off on a streetcar and even frightened a child...

That's all it's really going to come down to... then the news will just blow it a million times out of proportion.

Yea man, I didn't even think about that because I was raging and just trying to calm down with a soothing vape lol. Man oh man how true that is. I can see the Star and Sun headlines now "E Cig, More Like Pipe Bomb-Frightened Children Dive for Cover as E Cig Explodes on Crowed Street Car"

Equilibrium

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2014
Georgia
I'm not entirely sure this is negligence.....

This particular mod has history.

I live in a glass house too so I refrain from rock slinging....

And that is my official suggestion.

Can you explain to me how a mod can continuously fire in your pocket until it generates enough heat to start venting when the firing button is locked?

I can't. Tells me the button wasn't locked.

wesson

ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2015
Ontario, Canada
The body ruptured, and yes things do happen, this was a thing that happened. Sorry if my light tone offends some. Next time I almost blow my leg off I will keep the tone somber, but if it helps I was shaking like a leaf afterwards and apparently took on a wonderful shade of green for the next few hours according to my wife. Either way, keeping my mechanical mods at home hence forth. I feel much more comfortable walking around with a regulated device on me. The mod had a lock switch which was fully engaged, the battery is...was authentic. The vape shop that I go to is great, and I don't blame them for this happening.

Someone please correct me if I wrong, but the batts in our devices are LiIon chemistry correct? While I don't have a lot of experience with LiIon I am intimately familiar with LiPo, which is very similar, but just slightly less stable. Through my other hobby I have approximately 80-90 LiPo batts ranging from single cell 3.7 volts to six cell, 22.2 volts 5,000 mAH. If not treated well, these batts can be very nasty - charge incorrectly, severe shock/damage, discharge too quickly (faster that the "C" rating), shorting - can all end in a catastrophic failure. I always store my LiPo's in a fire proof container when I'm not using them, I never charge them unattended and I would certainly never keep them on charge when I'm not at home. I believe that LiIon are more stable and "less" dangerous, but they still demand healthy respect.

I'm really happy that you came away unscathed from this incident. The fire and heat produced by a batt failure, although relatively short lived, can be very furious and hot. Quick thinking on your part to get off the streetcar. The scary thought is that what if this failure was random and sudden (where it simply occurred and was not the result of misuse by you) and this happened at home, while you were away :(

Peter

Vatigu

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2015
Toronto, On, Canada
Yea man, I didn't even think about that because I was raging and just trying to calm down with a soothing vape lol. Man oh man how true that is. I can see the Star and Sun headlines now "E Cig, More Like Pipe Bomb-Frightened Children Dive for Cover as E Cig Explodes on Crowed Street Car"

Yep that about sums it up. riots at town hall to ban the things then province follows suit and the rest of the country has a precedent. BT smiles and offers us all a pack on the house.

caferacer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2015
Los Angeles
It wasn't the shop owners fault. It was operator error. I'm close friends with the owner of the shop I frequent and he wouldn't replace a mod that I vented a battery in. I wouldn't expect him to either. I probably wouldn't even tell him. If I did, I would go in with my head down low and being the person that I am, I would refuse to allow him to replace it for free. My mistake. Not his.

View attachment 406166 .... be more careful!!

Reading back, I see that I implied that it was a faulty device which was not my intent. I was only trying to make the point that the shop owner's willingness to give the OP a new device constituted good customer service in my book, regardless of whether it was user error or due to a faulty device.

Sorry for the confusion.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    I skipped a few pages, so excuse me if I missed something.

This sounds more like a switch failure than a battery failure, and is why so many regulated mods limit the length of time they can be fired.
    You can make a 2 ohm cartomizer do the same thing on a mechanical if allowed to auto fire for a prolonged length of time. (just ask Baditude)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread