The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Wet Ego Battery

Discussion in 'Canada Forum' started by Katmandu, May 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Katmandu

Katmandu Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 28, 2010
    Canada
    Okay, this is kind of embarrassing but, here goes:

I dropped my ego in the toilet (clean water - no "contaminants"). I fished it right out but of course it's soaked.

Will the battery be okay?

How long do I have to wait for it to dry before I can try to use it?

It's a standard 650 that came with my Joye Ego kit.

Please don't laugh too hard. :blush:

2. Kams Cats

Kams Cats Super Member ECF Veteran

LOL Can't say I have done that.

All I can say is to let it dry throughly. Hopefully someone will know how long.

The S/O dropped his cell phone in a puddle and didn't notice. I found about 12 hours later. We were told it would be toast but we dried it in the sun on his dashboard for about a week and it worked fine. So sometimes there is hope. (Although if it was my phone I know it would have been toast.)

3. rachelcoffe

rachelcoffe Super Member ECF Veteran

Jul 25, 2010
    Toronto
    Aww, hon - comforting hugs for you. [​IMG]

OK, is it a manual battery or an automatic? If it's an automatic (which isn't sealed), it's almost certainly ruined. If it's a manual (which is sealed), I think you'll be OK.

4. ZooKansas

ZooKansas Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 22, 2011
    Kansas City, MO USA
    Sorry for the mishap! I empathize with you. I stealth vape in the restroom where I work, and this almost happened to me. I caught it just in time. I would just wait at least 24 hours and then give it a shot. Let me/us know the result, thanks, and sorry.

5. VAPOINSANO

VAPOINSANO Super Member ECF Veteran

Nov 17, 2010
    Vapin'Hard Mang*<|;)
    okay no worrys ....

soak for another 10-20 mins...

just hurry..

got a good microwave?
    yes...
    good:)

go put battery in there
    put on the highest setting+time...

leave house now!!!
    if you still have house in 15mins.
    re-enter...

your batts should be dead+dry:rickroll:

good luck!:facepalm:

let me know...

above is a joke dont do this ever!:(

so take it easy likwid :?:
    we all know how sensitive you are!:facepalm:

sorry rachelcoffe sat.nite and all!:)
    ok thats a joke example above....:evil:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    now the real way...

just leave it out for 12-24-36hrs..
    +shake the crap out of it once in a while
    periodically check on an atty or cart!:2cool:

may live may not!!!:)

read all posts referring to rice method now,
    or leave air dry your choice!
    thx...:)

6. rachelcoffe

Jul 25, 2010
    Toronto
    No offense to V.I. - you know we love you, hon - but never, never microwave a metal object, and that includes your eGo!!

EDIT: Oh...he was joking, lol. :laugh:

7. db13berry

db13berry Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    USA
    I dropped mine in the pool skimmer the other day. I was freaking out as I was fishing it out of the basket.

Once i got it out, I took the carto and drip tip off and put it (the battery) in a bag of rice for 24 hours. After 24 hours, I shook it to make sure I didn't hear any water sloshing inside, and put it on charge. It still works as it did before. I use a Riva which is an eGo clone.

I just love reading these toilet water tales and how people always add, "it was clean water though". HAHAHA! Makes me laugh harder.

8. ZooKansas

ZooKansas Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 22, 2011
    Kansas City, MO USA

I read an article how the ice-bins in fast-food restaurants have more contaminants in them than "flushed" toilet water. Either way, not places I ever want my PV to be. :)

9. VapourGuy

VapourGuy Super Member ECF Veteran

Take the battery and BE SURE NOT TO FIRE IT AT ALL and put it in a bowl of rice for a few days (3) in a window that gets some sunlight. There is a slight chance it's ruined and there is a chance it could work fine now but if you don't have a ton of batts to be able to chance losing it use the method that I have mentioned.

10. TallGrass

TallGrass Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 3, 2011
    Ontario
    yep.. just let it air dry. But as you dropped it in the toilet..run it through water a few more time... a dozen times, flush it out with water entirely.... and then let it air dry for a few days. Once the moisture has evaporated from the unit then there wont be any problems.

Give it 2 or 3 days to fully dry... unless you absolutely NEED IT TO SURVIVE... if thats the case then place it an area of high heat & wind so all of the moisture inside of the unit evaporates quickly!

Dropping an ecig into water is really not that big of a deal... if you have the patience to allow the moisture to evaporate on its own time.

11. Katmandu

Oct 28, 2010
    Canada
    It's a manual battery so that means it's sealed. So that's a good thing.

What does that mean "sealed"?

I like the bag of rice idea - just put it in there and am now crossing my fingers.

Vapo - you truly are insano!!!!

Thanks everyone - will let you know how it goes.

.......and it really was clean water. :)

12. Kams Cats

Kams Cats Super Member ECF Veteran

The rice is supposed to help dry it out better. Absorb the moisture.

Sealed, well the end is sealed but where the button is could let water in.

Now if it was dirty water, would you have just flushed? :)

13. rachelcoffe

Jul 25, 2010
    Toronto
    "Sealed" just means that unlike an automatic battery, which has a hole leading to the internal electronics (the hole allows for the air-flow sensor to detect when you're inhaling, & activates the auto batt)...

...the manual battery doesn't have that. It's sealed off, so juice (or in this case, toilet water) shouldn't be able to get in there & kill the batt. I don't think you're going to have a problem or need to dry this eGo very long. The water got on the outside, not the inside. If it did get into the inside...well, if it was us we'd be buying a new eGo as soon as possible, drying techniques or no. Liquid on the inside is not a good thing.

Hope you have another eGo on hand, hon!

14. VAPOINSANO

VAPOINSANO Super Member ECF Veteran

Nov 17, 2010
    Vapin'Hard Mang*<|;)
    i always feel tha love rachel+thanks dear:)

yes 1 of vapo's bad sense of timing and jokez:(

sorry kat,
    shoulda used a bit of rational here!
    alls good!:)

now,
    lets talk over priced gas+mexican firecracker safety :shock:j/k:lol:

15. Katmandu

Oct 28, 2010
    Canada
    You know Kams in retrospect it's one of those "do I or don't I" dilemmas.

At the time I just freaked right out and stuck my hand in there!

16. BCman

BCman Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 13, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    bag/bowl of rice is the winner, best option to remove moisture from anything, especially electronics, imo.
    battery should be fine if it was fished out quickly, probably little to no water got in it.

17. Katmandu

Oct 28, 2010
    Canada

No harm, no foul. I was expecting toilet jokes though.

Firecrackers and gas = one of the best ways to start a bonfire.:laugh:

Rachel, don't worry - I have backup so I'm set that way - I just hope it works.

18. TallGrass

TallGrass Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 3, 2011
    Ontario
    the bag of rice trick is kind of trick....it doesn't really do any better then letting your equipment run in a dry breeze. And in this case all you need is a dry breeze.. nothing more, nothing less... dont worry about the humidity. Just let it sit for a few days so the moisture evaporates. You'll be fine.

I dropped a Compaq laptop into a washing machine washtub a few years ago and let it air dry. It still works to this day. dont stress yourself over this.

19. VapourGuy

VapourGuy Super Member ECF Veteran

How long was it in the water for? For the sake of science I just put one of me older ego batts in the sink with water for almost a minute and took it out and dried it off and I am vapeing on it right now so I would't worry at all but to be safe just leave it in the rice for 24hrs and it should be fine.

20. lelly

lelly Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 30, 2010
    Manitoba, Canada
    LMAO!! Guess they are sealed under the button too. I always worry when I have juice leak around that area!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.