Status
Not open for further replies.

BuzzKill

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2009
Central Coast Ca.
www.notcigs.com
Just looked that one up... we didn't have those on chips back when I was in EE school.... very cool - now I'm starting to have some buyer's remorse ;-)

The regulators have gotten very good lately ! this one also had a Shutdown pin so low current switches can be used . We use a Tact switch with 1,000,000 life cycle. :toast:

jimho

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 23, 2009
New York
The regulators have gotten very good lately ! this one also had a Shutdown pin so low current switches can be used . We use a Tact switch with 1,000,000 life cycle. :toast:
That ought to last till the next generation of battery technology and then some ;-)

I read the thread where everyone was concenred about the life cycle on the rheostat- which really was a non issue.... It's nice that these are built to last but at some point (different for everyone- for me, it's as soon as I start breaking even) you just want a new toy-

Are you looking at any way to confirm the voltage setting without the need for an external meter?

jimho

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 23, 2009
New York
Learned from others here...

You are trying to get your wattage adjusted into a sweet spot. Most say the sweet spot is between 6.0 and 8.5 watts.

Watts = volts*volts/ohm resistance.

Below is a spreadsheet I copied from here that shows the relationship. I didn't come up with this table, just applied the formula to the spreadsheet and recreated it showing some of the newer LR atomizers.

The green is the target zone. Red is supposedly too high, but I've blown atomizers at 2.3ohms with five volts - and that is below the red zone!

Really nice chart Gary- I think the sweet spot may be a bit higher (depending on the juice) for many- but I like the way you layed it out....
Yours is particularly good for someone looking to compare devices- I think it will help others understand some of the differences between units -

With the evolution of variable voltage mods it's going to have to grow vertically;-) would be nice to get some qualitative data (on a different thread) to chart flavors and PG/VG/Nic ratios against voltages- I'd be willing to help out on that kind of project if you are interested- PM me-

Maybe we could come up with a template for juice reviews that the forum could support....

If we could get the world talking watts instead of Volts when they review juice they'd be so much more valuable- makes me nuts when someone takes the time to write a juice review and the reviewer talks about the device he's using without mentioning the atty/battery combo ....

unsure

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2010
Silicon Valley, California
To the op. The iPhone charger is 1a. I have heard that to get optimal hit on a passthrough you need a 2amp charger.

True. I PIFed a 5v passthru to someone and they asked if I sent a different one and wer'nt happy with it. Turns out they were using a iPhone charger. They then tried it directly from the PCs USB port and experienced a positive difference.

IMWylde

ECF Veteran
Jun 3, 2010
USA
No no unsure. That was me. I started with my usb port and dident get the big vapor. then I put it on the iphone plug in charger cube and got much more. Probably still not the watts I am looking for but much closer.

Today I pulled the bridge from one of my atty's and dripped the 5v PT on the cube charger thing and it smacked me in the forehead. I'm still getting more vapor from my Bartleby w/lr carto but the bridgeless atty tastes so freaking good.

BuzzKill

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2009
Central Coast Ca.
www.notcigs.com
That ought to last till the next generation of battery technology and then some ;-)

I read the thread where everyone was concenred about the life cycle on the rheostat- which really was a non issue.... It's nice that these are built to last but at some point (different for everyone- for me, it's as soon as I start breaking even) you just want a new toy-

Are you looking at any way to confirm the voltage setting without the need for an external meter?

I am looking at some ideas for voltage indication that is internal to the unit , I found some good stuff actually . A readout will not work unless it is a custom made display and that is just too expensive for the volume of sales.
IF you have any ideas I am all ears.

The SWEET spot according to LOTS of Beta testing and many different types of juices and atomizers is 4.5 volts according to my results

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
I am looking at some ideas for voltage indication that is internal to the unit , I found some good stuff actually . A readout will not work unless it is a custom made display and that is just too expensive for the volume of sales.
IF you have any ideas I am all ears.

The SWEET spot according to LOTS of Beta testing and many different types of juices and atomizers is 4.5 volts according to my results

4.5volts has no context without what attys being used. On the V indication - would changing LED colors work? That still might involve too much cost though.... just an idea.

BuzzKill

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2009
Central Coast Ca.
www.notcigs.com
4.5volts has no context without what attys being used. On the V indication - would changing LED colors work? That still might involve too much cost though.... just an idea.

Kent the tests were with STOCK 510 , 901 , 801 attys ( NO LR attys in the test , they are not needed with variable voltage )
with many kinds of juices , the results were an AVERAGE voltage across the board.
I pre set units to 4.5 volts and that is where most people use them .

I am looking at a color changing led for the voltage indication right now we use a dual color led .

That chart is a good reference :toast:

garyinco

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2010
CO, USA
I updated the previous chart (expanded the voltage, added some "common" atomizing devices, and added a couple of comments :).

Hopefully this will help people figure out where they want to be.

Wattage, Volts, and Resistance ( in MS Excel format)

wattage.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread