What are you looking for in a version 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megabyt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2013
SoCal
If Provape can make a VW device that tastes my vape and adjusts it to my preferences, I will buy it. Until that happens, which I suspect will be a very long wait, I will most likely continue to be content with adjusting the voltage, instead of adjusting the wattage.

You unknowingly help make my point. If you have to adjust a setting for your vape\taste\preference, it should be wattage NOT voltage that's being adjusted, especially for the newbie! But until you understand why that is, there is no point in going any further...

Dampmaskin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 28, 2014
Norway
www.steam-engine.org
You unknowingly help make my point. If you have to adjust a setting for your vape\taste\preference, it should be wattage NOT voltage that's being adjusted, especially for the newbie! But until you understand why that is, there is no point in going any further...

So please explain, wise one, so I may understand. How is adjusting wattage easier, less hassle, or otherwise preferable to adjusting voltage?

SeniorBoy

VapeFight.com Founder
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
vapefight.com
I didn't own a Provari until recently and because of that I never posted in the Provari Forum. Now I do on both accounts.

It's curious to see how what I have to call herd mentality has convinced the herd that what a wider audience wants and expects in an upgrade to a commercial product is viewed as unnecessary or even heretical. It's comical in a sense to see the rationalizations voiced. "If it was good enough for grandpa it's good enough for me" comes to mind. Newcomers quickly become absorbed in the perceived wisdom of their "elders".

Automatic transmissions and power windows in a vehicle are viewed by most as desirable features although they're not functionally necessary and perhaps not as reliable in some cases. "I can figure out what gear I need to shift into without some new fangled thing to do it for me!". Still, most prefer improved features whether the purists want it or not. The market will drive change in the end, not the diehard purists.

What approaches an absolute is that without change most tech products will die if not updated to at least match the competition.

The Provari is a great device with an unmatched track record of reliability and customer service. That is undeniable. But it is outdated despite the protestations and rationalizations of the vocal purists. To remain commercially viable I cannot see how Provape can continue to ignore what is going on around them.

I'm in general agreement with your thoughts. I mean no disrespect to "others' who may not hold this same view. Hell...I own two "exstended" Minis. :)

Here is another way to look at the big picture. First their was DOS with lots of typing. /LOL Then along came the GUI crowd and that's Mac and then Windows. I saw the same kind of rationalization, myopic viewpoints, half truths, and specious remarks from the DOS crowd after the GUI came out. My gosh, they kept it up for years and years. It was always humorous to watch some of the wildest arguments I've ever seen.

Guess what? Pure DOS for desktop applications is a distant memory. Yes I know Windows sits on top of it and the Mac sits on top of Unix or some variant. Kapish! Those company's that either could not or would not open their "eyes" to the marketplace and continued to hang their hat on an outdated and antiquated DOS are gone forever. I certainly hope this does not happen to ProVape.

Lets see, is it 8 or 9 clicks to lower my voltage!

:)

Good luck to all and thanks for an interesting read.

Last edited:

Megabyt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2013
SoCal
So please explain, wise one, so I may understand. How is adjusting wattage easier, less hassle, or otherwise preferable to adjusting voltage?

I have a strong hunch that no matter what I say here will get through to you, but here it goes anyway...

Like every other VW vs VV discussion has pointed out, VW is a set it and forget variable setting. Now, this does not mean set it and never change it, or that it will somehow taste your juice and automatically change the wattage to the juices optimal wattage, as some have foolishly said. Yes, you will still adjust your wattage to your preferred setting for each juice, etc... HOWEVER, unlike variable voltage, variable wattage does not require changing settings each time you screw a new device on top of your mod or when you change heads in your atty. You will know what wattage you like for your setup, juice, etc.. and will find that with VW you rarely have to adjust it.

I can hear what you're thinking now, "I know what voltage I like and I set my ProVari for that voltage and never change it"... Ya, OK, so in this scenario, you will run into a known issue where coils change resistance over time, and today, your Provari's VV settings doesn't fluctuate to accommodate these changes. So what happens? Your vaping experience changes! You either change your voltage because you taste that your vape experience changed, or you just live with it, without understanding why it taste different or isn't performing as well. Plain and simple!

So how does this experience play well with newcomers who have no clue what ohms are, or why it would change over the life of a coil or different type of head?

Now, with VW, it detects those fluctuations, on the fly, and updates the voltage settings on your behalf. Why is this a bad thing?

Same scenario with these wildly varying heads that we buy (or build) for Protanks, M3's, etc.. How many times have you bought a head that claimed 1.8ohms and actually tested to 1.8? I would guestimate 50%, at best... I've seen 1.8ohm coils test at 1.6-2.0 many many times. Why not just know that you like your Bobas Bounty at 10 watts and not give a piss about what ohms your coil is? Why is this a bad thing?

Please explain why you are so against VW? I've asked several times in this thread and only found one decent answer. "It adds another menu item to scroll through". Every other response was basically "I don't prefer it, need it, want it, etc."

Do you have any technical reasons to be against VW? If your V3 Provari had VW, and you could opt to not use it and keep switching your voltage manually, what are you missing out on? What are you not able to do that you can't already do today? Why should the majority of people who are begging for VW be left in the dark because the hardcore fanboys think its not needed because they can adjust their voltage manually and think that's good enough?

This VV vs VW debate has been going on for some time, and this thread asked what am I looking for in a V3 Provari, and the top of my list is VW, hence the passionate responses. I'd really prefer this not get into an argument or flame war... we should be able to debate and exchange thoughts and ideas without excessive drama. :D

:vapor:

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR
If you like your boba's bounty at 10 watts, does that mean you vape all your juices at 10 watts? I think most people who own ProVari's rarely change their settings. If I change my settings twice a week, I'm being picky or switching between juices.

I wouldn't mind if ProVape came out with VW, but I'm not going to boycott them until they do.
If lack of variable wattage hurts their bottom line, they'll come out with it. Until then, it's not going to happen. Adding VW would add to their production costs, which would lead to raised prices which would lead to people complaining about the price (which they already do).

naturecannon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 29, 2014
Oregon City, Oregon
I have a strong hunch that no matter what I say here will get through to you, but here it goes anyway...

So how does this experience play well with newcomers who have no clue what ohms are

Well first of all I am not againts VW. With that said

If newcomers are clueless with Ohms...........then stick with an evod............. vv and vw are both useless to them then in my opinion until they educate themselves about ohms, so not much of a defense there ^. They gotta know how to get there.

Megabyt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2013
SoCal
If newcomers are clueless with Ohms...........then stick with an evod............. vv and vw are both useless to them then in my opinion until they educate themselves about ohms, so not much of a defense there ^. They gotta know how to get there.

They gotta screw something ontop of that evod. ;) And from experience, some people will NEVER get ohms, watts, volts, etc.! For them, VW is the safe bet!

THAT IS a good defense. :D

RebelGolfer72

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
They gotta screw something ontop of that evod. ;) And from experience, some people will NEVER get ohms, watts, volts, etc.! For them, VW is the safe bet!

THAT IS a good defense. :D

Easy to spot when they call resistance "ohmage"...
But....since these PCM devices are technically pushing AC not DC, the watts would have to actually be calculated using impedance not resistance... a coil of wire is not a pure resistive device, but an inductive load...and there is the inherent capacitance of the connector/topper that would would come in to play, and of course the frequency of the pulses....but then again, those factors would probably be next to negligible, and since most can't even grasp basic laws such as ohms law, and kirchoffs law, let's just stick to talking about resistance lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

EddardinWinter

The Philosopher Who Rides
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va

Like every other VW vs VV discussion has pointed out, VW is a set it and forget variable setting. Now, this does not mean set it and never change it, or that it will somehow taste your juice and automatically change the wattage to the juices optimal wattage, as some have foolishly said. Yes, you will still adjust your wattage to your preferred setting for each juice, etc... HOWEVER, unlike variable voltage, variable wattage does not require changing settings each time you screw a new device on top of your mod or when you change heads in your atty. You will know what wattage you like for your setup, juice, etc.. and will find that with VW you rarely have to adjust it.

I can hear what you're thinking now, "I know what voltage I like and I set my ProVari for that voltage and never change it"... Ya, OK, so in this scenario, you will run into a known issue where coils change resistance over time, and today, your Provari's VV settings doesn't fluctuate to accommodate these changes. So what happens? Your vaping experience changes! You either change your voltage because you taste that your vape experience changed, or you just live with it, without understanding why it taste different or isn't performing as well. Plain and simple!

So how does this experience play well with newcomers who have no clue what ohms are, or why it would change over the life of a coil or different type of head?

Now, with VW, it detects those fluctuations, on the fly, and updates the voltage settings on your behalf. Why is this a bad thing?

Same scenario with these wildly varying heads that we buy (or build) for Protanks, M3's, etc.. How many times have you bought a head that claimed 1.8ohms and actually tested to 1.8? I would guestimate 50%, at best... I've seen 1.8ohm coils test at 1.6-2.0 many many times. Why not just know that you like your Bobas Bounty at 10 watts and not give a piss about what ohms your coil is? Why is this a bad thing?

Please explain why you are so against VW? I've asked several times in this thread and only found one decent answer. "It adds another menu item to scroll through". Every other response was basically "I don't prefer it, need it, want it, etc."

Do you have any technical reasons to be against VW? If your V3 Provari had VW, and you could opt to not use it and keep switching your voltage manually, what are you missing out on? What are you not able to do that you can't already do today? Why should the majority of people who are begging for VW be left in the dark because the hardcore fanboys think its not needed because they can adjust their voltage manually and think that's good enough?

This VV vs VW debate has been going on for some time, and this thread asked what am I looking for in a V3 Provari, and the top of my list is VW, hence the passionate responses. I'd really prefer this not get into an argument or flame war... we should be able to debate and exchange thoughts and ideas without excessive drama. :D

And you said earlier my post was a contradiction...

Why should the majority of people who are begging for VW be left in the dark because the hardcore fanboys think its not needed because they can adjust their voltage manually and think that's good enough?

So you think calling people with different views than you names is a great way to move forward exchanging ideas without excessive drama, it would seem. This is how you seek to avoid a flame war, eh?

VW will not affect my purchase of a ProVari version 3. If it were up to me, I would not want it on my device, because I wouldn't use it. Does this view make me anti-VW and a hardcore fanboy in your book?

Megabyt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2013
SoCal
And you said earlier my post was a contradiction...

So what's your point here? You highlighted two separate sections of my post that don't contradict each other in any way? Read what's between the two highlights!

So you think calling people with different views than you names is a great way to move forward exchanging ideas without excessive drama, it would seem. This is how you seek to avoid a flame war, eh?
I did not call YOU a fanboy, I said THE fanboys... I don't consider that "calling people names", as you put it. My point is still valid. Hardcore ProVari supporters (fanboys) that are jumping all over variable wattage without an understanding of the technology just doesn't make any sense to me.

Does this view make me anti-VW and a hardcore fanboy in your book?

Fanboy? Umm... ARE you a Provari fanboy? I haven't directly called you that... but your signature does give me a hint... ;) And besides, what's wrong with being a fanboy anyways? I certainly don't think there is anything wrong with that. I have owned 3 Provari's myself! But I would call myself a Poldiac fanboy, and couldn't care less if somebody called me out on it.

Back on topic...

I would like to see the V3 have a user replaceable\serviceable\removable control board!

If you go watch the video for the Svoemesto Semovar mod (from PBUSARDO), they had a brilliant idea! The control board is removable by simply sliding it out, allowing the user to replace if they run into a problem, or just pull out the board for a thorough cleaning of the mod tube. Great idea!

Last edited:

SeniorBoy

VapeFight.com Founder
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
vapefight.com
So here is my respectful take on VW with respect to Version 3. I would never use it. Hell, I've had that feature on two other mods for nearly 8 months. I don't need to explain why since this group is very knowledgeable.

This will not stop me from upgrading to version 3 if the rest of the "new features" are appealing. I can live with a feature or featureS that I will never use. It's a reaction to market forces. It's a good thing! Plain and simple, I want ProVape to succeed and unless they react to market forces they will vanish! Look around, It's not about how WE VAPE and love VV it's about what the market already has.

Respectfully, I find the argument that "I" will pay for a feature (VW) that I never use specious at best. You already do this with bloatware software, bells and whistles on cars, phones, and numerous other pieces of technology. It's called compromise. "YOU" aren't going to change this. It's already decades old that you react to market forces or you perish. I would suggest "meds" before the new version /joke /lol

I'm certainly not going to beat you up if you don't wish to upgrade. That's your choice. Heck, I skipped Vista and Win 8. I also still run a 5 year old copy of Word. /LOL In summary, I ask myself, do the new features that I like outweigh the market driven "fluff". It's always a compromise and NONE of US are going to change that.

Good luck to all

:)

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
I did not call YOU a fanboy, I said THE fanboys... I don't consider that "calling people names", as you put it. My point is still valid. Hardcore ProVari supporters (fanboys) that are jumping all over variable wattage without an understanding of the technology just doesn't make any sense to me.

What about the many that have a full understanding of VW 'technology', have owned and extensively used various VW devices and have concluded it adds zero, zip, zilch, nada benefit and consider it a unwanted completely useless feature.

Your whole premiss that VW actually works they way you think it does for everybody and every possible delivery device and juice combination and it is something everyone should be using or they just don't understand, is just silly, actually beyond silly.
Go tell the folks that love mechanical's that they should be using VW devices instead because VW is some new cool technological advance and just works so much better for everybody.

Why take one of the most accurate, consistent and stable power output APV's on the market and add a feature that compromises the very attributes it is known for.

There are several good APV's on the market for those that think VW is important, buy one of those.

Last edited:

Megabyt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2013
SoCal
Why take one of the most accurate, consistent and stable power output APV's on the market and add a feature that compromises the very attributes it is known for.

I have more faith in Provape than this... I mean, if Evolve can get it done right, I'm sure Provape can! :2cool:

There are several good APV's on the market for those that think VW is important, buy one of those.
Well, I guess that's our only option today, isn't it? Hence, the reason A LOT of people are begging Provape for VW!

What about the many that have a full understanding of VW 'technology', have owned and extensively used various VW devices and have concluded it adds zero, zip, zilch, nada benefit and consider it a unwanted completely useless feature.
I would seriously question the validity of anyone who says they EXTENSIVELY USED variable wattage but determined it adds zero benefit and its completely useless...!!! Seems like a slap stick, knee jerk over-statement to me... But I digress!

Preferring one technology over the other is fine, all I've asked for is MY preference (as well as many, many other people whom have requested the same) be added to the V3 because WE do find a use for it. I certainly don't expect VW to REPLACE VV, nor have I said YOU or anyone else MUST use it...! Geez!!!

Dampmaskin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 28, 2014
Norway
www.steam-engine.org

Like every other VW vs VV discussion has pointed out, VW is a set it and forget variable setting. Now, this does not mean set it and never change it, or that it will somehow taste your juice and automatically change the wattage to the juices optimal wattage, as some have foolishly said. Yes, you will still adjust your wattage to your preferred setting for each juice, etc... HOWEVER, unlike variable voltage, variable wattage does not require changing settings each time you screw a new device on top of your mod or when you change heads in your atty.

In a universe where the only attribute of the coil that had an impact on the vape was the resistance, and where vapers filled their different attys with the same juice, you would be right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread