Status
Not open for further replies.

azzaman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2012
Brisbane, Australia
Attacking the ECF? Hardly. But I do find some members of the ECF, including yourself, sensitive on the subject. They get easily offended the minute you question their addiction... I personally vape myself, but I am open minded enough to know that my addiction might be harmful. I also recognize that vaping is less harmful than smoking, so what is your point?

I'm not offended at all. Why would I be? You're asking a question there is no solid answer to. In other words do aliens exist? Maybe, but there needs to be real evidence. I wonder if patches and gum cause cancer, could be some nice class action lawsuits.

So you vape, enjoy it, understand there are some risks, and understand it is less harmful?

What is your point? Lol.

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
I think the person was arguing that since they are both alkaloids they must be similar. I am not an expert, but in chemistry if a molecule is altered a tiny bit, the resulting change is drastic. Ammonia for example is also an alkaloid (I think), but it is vastly different from coffee.

Last edited:

glassgal

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2013
Central Florida
www.azenglass.com
Nothing on Google that answers my specific question: is lung cancer caused by nicotine or not. As to doing research on ECF, I think I will pass.... Thanks anyway, I think I will take your advice and cut my Nic to zero if I can.

Are you joking?

VERY specific answer, NO. From Medical News Today:
Many mistakenly think nicotine causes cancer, rather than the smoke - Medical News Today

Women who smoke are more concerned about their habit and their ability to quit than men, yet both genders appear misinformed about smoking and its link to cancer. In a new study presented at CHEST 2005, the 71st annual international scientific assembly of the American College of Chest Physicians (ACCP), the majority of smokers mistakenly believed nicotine causes cancer, leading many to smoke "light" cigarettes because they believed them to be less harmful. Women also were more likely than men to have feelings of guilt, fear, and worry associated with tobacco use and quitting the habit.

"Men who smoke spend little time thinking about their habit and the harmful effects of smoking, especially if they have few physical side effects," said lead author Virginia Reichert, NP, director of the Center for Tobacco Control, North Shore-Long Island Jewish (LIJ) Health System, Great Neck, NY. "Women who smoke seem to have a great deal of anxiety about smoking. They are worried about their health, feel guilty about not quitting, and believe that cigarettes are controlling their lives."

Researchers from North Shore-LIJ surveyed 1,139 smoking patients (482 males and 657 females) involved in a tobacco cessation program to evaluate smoking perceptions between genders. Of the patients questioned, 71.9 percent of women and 59.4 percent of men believed nicotine causes cancer, while 75 percent of women and 64.5 percent of men admitted to worrying that smoking may give them cancer. More women (71.9 percent) than men (63.1 percent) reported smoking "light cigarettes," believing them to be less harmful.

"People smoke to get the addictive drug, nicotine, but the drug alone does not cause cancer. The delivery system, a cigarette full of hundreds of toxic chemicals that are inhaled along with nicotine, does," said Ms. Reichert. "This misinformation leads many smokers to smoke 'light' cigarettes, thinking they will inhale less nicotine. In reality, smokers tend to smoke more light cigarettes and inhale more deeply to get nicotine from light cigarettes, resulting in a significant amount of harmful chemicals being inhaled."

Note that the last paragraph says UNAMBIGUOUSLY "THE DRUG ALONE DOES NOT CAUSE CANCER".

You need more proof than this?

joecil

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
Russell Springs, Kentucky
Well as someone recovering right now from lung cancer I can tell you that based on what I've learn nicotine is not a carcinogen. It can kill you if you overdosed by not likely at the amounts one uses in e-cigs but then too much water can kill you also. Now my cancer was a direct result of asbestos however the fact I smoked for 50+ years didn't help either. I know several people from my parents to a few friend who never smoke that died of lung cancer however it had metastasized from other cancers into their lungs killing them. Oh and I went to e-cigs the day I was told as neither the patch, gum or pills worked for me while the e-cigs did. I've haven't even had the urge for a cigarette since I started with the e-cigs. I've also gotten back my sense of smell and taste since I have quit. Oh and I now at 0 nicotine from the 24 mg in September of last year.

AmandaD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2013
So Cal
Too many posts to read,but had you ever looked at a lung xray of a smoker? What you see is caused by tar, not by nicotine! Nicotine has not been listed as the primary cancer causing agent, from what I understand. This is not to say it is not without harm, but it has never been listed as the primary cause of lung cancer as far as I know.

vampyre74

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Here is my final thought on the subject: Until someone shows me incontrovertible proof that nicotine is safe, I will watch my vaping. Same goes with all the other ingredients that go into e liquids. Peace, out.

I feel like this is what you wanted to say in the first place. I personally think there is nothing without risk.

glassgal

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2013
Central Florida
www.azenglass.com
Well, WebMD lists Nicotine as a cancer ACCELERATOR. New studies show that if you have existing cancer, it will speed the growth and kill you faster. That's why women with breast cancer who smoke don't seem to recover...

But Nicotine does not CAUSE cancer.

Incontrovertible proof? There's no such thing on the planet. You cannot prove a negative. Prove to me that breathing air doesn't kill you over 100 years. I say air is toxic, and we all die based on how allergic we are to it. Prove it's not.

AmandaD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2013
So Cal
There is no doubt that smoking is known to be very dangerous. Vaping, whatever the future may hold, appears to be much less so. For a 40 year PAD smoker the choice is clear. However, if you are young, if you have never smoked, or if you didn't smoke very much or for very long - you would be wise not to vape at all imo. Many of us on this board have tried every other smoking cessation method and failed - which is why we are here. I see vaping as this alone - an efficient smoking cessation method - at least for me. I would never suggest it as a purely recreational activity for anyone else, because - you're right - we don't know the long-term effects. Even at zero nicotine I would think it as taking an unnecessary risk for someone young who has never smoked.

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
Well, WebMD lists Nicotine as a cancer ACCELERATOR. New studies show that if you have existing cancer, it will speed the growth and kill you faster. That's why women with breast cancer who smoke don't seem to recover...

But Nicotine does not CAUSE cancer.

Incontrovertible proof? There's no such thing on the planet. You cannot prove a negative. Prove to me that breathing air doesn't kill you over 100 years. I say air is toxic, and we all die based on how allergic we are to it. Prove it's not.

Thank you for pointing this out. I found a similar article by the Cancer Institute that shows although Nicotine is not a carcinogen, it does something to cells that makes them more susceptible to the disease.

NCI Statement on Nicotine Study in January JCI - National Cancer Institute

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California

zanedog

Moved On
Jan 28, 2014
Alberta

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California

joecil

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
Russell Springs, Kentucky
Well as I stated in an earlier post here being a lung cancer survivor I will say that vaping was my only way to quit cigarettes as all other methods had failed. Now I started e-cigs on Sept. 9th and by Nov of had removed all nicotine from my mixes without vaping more. I went from 24mg to 18mg to 12mg to 6mg and now 0 trying small bottles of premixed. I then started mixing my one or by zero nic premixed only. My recent pet scan showed my tumors where pretty much gone now so it looks like I have a little longer on this side of the grass due to vaping. I find it pretty much relaxes me as cigarettes did only with a lot less side effects. For example my sense of smell, taste have come back after years of none and my coughing has subsided to rarely now instead of constant. I wouldn't recommend it for someone that hadn't smoked but it sure worked for me as a 50 year PAD smoker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread