What DIY/e-liquid calculator are you using?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Hello all ECF DIYers!

I am starting this thread with the hopes that, with everyone's participation, we can create a one-stop place for anyone searching for the best e-liquid calculator based on their needs.

As someone who spends WAY to much time on ECF, and on the DIY sub-forum in particular, I have noticed a reoccurring need for calculator information. There have been lots of good, useful, posts scattered through a multitude of threads, and almost all conceivable topics. But they are just that; scattered and hard to find (especially for those new to ECF and forums in general).

Thanks to the FDA, and their draconian deeming regulations, it seems like we have an increase in people wanting to learn about e-liquid DIY. So now seemed as good a time as any to start this thread.

What I hope for this thread:
I would like to see everyone who chooses to participate, identify the calculator they are currently using, and some basic information about it.

I offer this template as a suggested format so we can keep some continuity and hopefully make the information easy to sort through:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Name of calculator:

Link to download source for calculator:

What platforms/operating systems this calculator will work on (Windows, Mac, iPad, Android, Linux, on-line, etc.):

Cost ($, $ reoccurring <time period>, free, free & accepts donations, free & actively solicits donations <guilt screens>:

What I like about this calculator (features & Benefits):

What I don't like about this calculator:

Anything else I feel might be helpful to know:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: I know of at least one on-line calculator that is part of an ECF banned website (you ELRers know the site I mean). If you post a calculator name and/or link, and the ECF auto-filters any part to “.....”, please do not try to subvert the filters by intentional misspellings or other “trickery.” We do not need to agree with the rules but we do need to respect them, and do our best to follow them. Enough said.

Also, I know there are at least two ECF members (@HotRod19579, @Scubabatdan) that have developed, and offered publicly, their own calculator. Please feel free to shamelessly promote/educate the rest of us about your own wares. A disclaimer that you are the author in the “Anything else” portion would probably be the “right” thing to do. Likewise, if anyone else is promoting a calculator that they receive ANY type of compensation (money, gear, goodies, etc.), might be nice to declare.

Final request: I do not wish this to become a “mine's better than yours” debate. If you have honest feedback from your own personal experience (“I read it on...” doesn't count), and it helps to explain by briefly comparing it to another calculator; be my guest (“I like “A” more than “B” because...” is fine). I just don't want the mud slinging to begin. If something is not good, don't focus on that product, focus on what product might be a better option and why.

Multiple listing for the same calculator are fine (from different posters). If you change calculators, and you wish to post again; have at it (might add a note in the “Anything else” section; something to the effect of “I previously was using...” or “I previously recommended...”).

If you feel I forgot something that would be worthwhile in the template please let me know and I will edit it for as long as I have edit permission.

OK! Thanks for participating and let the fun commence!!

Last edited:

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I'll start things off.

Name of calculator:
Juice Calculator created by ECF member @HotRod19579

Juice Calculator

What platforms/operating systems this calculator will work on (Windows, Mac, iPad, Android, Linux, on-line, etc.):
Windows (I am aware of some using this on Linux with the use of a Windows emulator)

Cost ($, $ reoccurring <time period>, free, free & accepts donations, free & actively solicits donations <guilt screens>:
Free. Author accepts donations but does not solicit.

This is a full featured e-liquid recipe calculator with an easy to navigate user interface. It offers measure by milliliterss, grams, and drops. It has a very good inventory management option. It permits import of recipes and ingredients from several popular file types, and exports to two. Program support is excellent from both author and active community on this ECF thread: https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/threads/new-calculator-to-try.480587/

Nothing I can think of. Author is very fast to respond to bug reports, and user requests and suggestions.

Before using Juice Calculator I tried E JuiceMeUp, and then Juice Grinder.

-SMT-

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2013
Hawaii
^ Using HotRod's calc also, JUICE CALCULATOR
I tried using the others and they're ok, but I like his best for the look and ease of use. Everything is in the right place for my eyeballs, I mean its quite intuitive, and layed out real nice.

Also, he is here to help with any questions along with others for support!

Dislikes: none, has everything I personally need, and way more...

Requests;
I really wish there was a nice calculator for my IPAD like this, I could not find one...that would be huge for me as it would be right there on my mixing table by me.

In fact, I don't see ANY diy apps for mixing, atleast in usa. Are there any? I would gladly purchase a nice DIY mixing calc for IPAD.
Infact I've been searching the app store and can't find any mixing apps at all...I wonder if apple usa frowns upon it ?

Last edited:

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
If anyone wishes to use the suggested template I included in the first post; here is what I did:
  • Highlight the section between the two dashed lines. (I did it with the left-click+mouse drag.)
  • Use the traditional copy & paste (control "C", control "V" (or right click, "Copy", right click, "Paste"); don't use the "Quote" or "Reply" options that automatically pop up when you highlight text in a post to avoid the quotation box.)
  • Then you can input your thoughts in the blank spaces provided. (They will automatically expand if you need more room.)
Thanks again for your participation!

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Name of calculator: Ejuice Me Up

Link to download source for calculator: eJuice Me Up - Best eJuice Calculator

Windows (All) and Linux using Wine
Required: Microsoft .net Framework 3.5

Free - Donations appreciated

It's easy to use and covers all the features I've needed to input my nic base percentages, multiple flavor entry, baseline weights of components, and combined nic base strengths (if you have different nic base mixes on hand). The interface is easy to use and it prints nice looking recipe sheets that I keep in my storage box with my DIY supplies. It supports and displays milliliters, drops, grams, and percentages for each component in the recipe. screen. Up to 10 flavors per recipe are supported.

Having used only this calculator I'm not sure what else I'd need. No shortcomings experienced so far.

Ejuice Me Up
is a simple, yet comprehensive juice calculator that's easy to learn and easy to use.

Last edited:

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Android app called Liquix, play store. It's been fine. Also records cost of ingredients so I know cost per ml, 1.2 cents.

I used to mix with syringes and Erlenmeyer flasks. Lately using graduated cylinders (5,25,50,100ml, need a 10 ml). I've had no problems pouring directly from bottles and it's accurate. Eventually I'm sure I'll be mixing with a scale to reduce cleanup time.

Reactions: 28if

Tbev

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2013
SoCal-Vegas
instagram.com
I use e-liquid-recipies.com, out lets you pick recipes based in what flavorings you have, you enter all you flavors and it keeps good track, there's tons of recipes and they all have ratings, it also has a list of what the best substitutions are if you don't have some particular flavor. It's web based which it's cool, it will work on any device, works by drop or weight .

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
Well @IDJoel, since you "offered a suggested format", I hope this abbreviated format is acceptable in the interest of brevity and reduced duplication :D:

Name of calculator:
Juice Calculator created by ECF member @HotRod19579

Juice Calculator

In addition to @IDJoel's comments above, I would add that I really like all the space available for detailed notes.

Being relatively new to DIY, this is the only calculator I have tried or used and I haven't felt the need to look any further. For more detail, refer to post #2 above.

jambi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2014
SoCal
I tried many, including ejuiceme up, and some web based ones. Settled on Hotrod's Juice Calculator.

I use Hotrod's, because I rely heavily on the inventory control features it has that others don't. I'm up to around 300 different flavors, and it's impossible for me to keep that many flavors straight in my head. When I come across a recipe I'm interested in, it's a simple task to open up the calc and see if I have all the ingredients on hand. I also like that I can easily track how much of a particular product I have on hand, set inventory thresholds, see exact costs down to fractions of a cent, see how many recipes a given flavor is being used in, etc etc.

I also like how it will show me the exact numerical results of "errors". Like if I start with a 70/30/3mg base, how far I'll deviate from it by adding percentages of flavors. Saves a lot of long hand calculator-ing.

Also a plus that there's a thread right on this forum that the creator actively participates in. Can't beat that!

The only disadvantages I can think of are the learning curve (compared to other, more basic calcs), and the time needed to enter your inventory, though that's a moot point if you use it from the get go.

It's just such a full tier calc I couldn't imagine using anything else.

Last edited:

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
I use 1 of the many different eliquid calculators offered at EcigVape.com, so there isn't 1 main name, except the website itself.

I use this particular one there, for all my mixing:
E-Liquid Calculator Ten Flavors with PG/VG Adjusting

It allows for up to 10 flavorings, adjusting PG and VG, and you can save your recipes to your own private Recipes page, or you can choose to publish them for anyone to also access and use.

I know it works on Windows and if you're using Firefox. There's no download necessary and you can access it from anywhere that you have internet access then.

I haven't found any disadvantages to using this one yet.

Last edited:

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Well @IDJoel, since you "offered a suggested format", I hope this abbreviated format is acceptable in the interest of brevity and reduced duplication :D:
That is just fine. Thanks for taking the time @OlderNDirt ! :thumbs:

"Suggested" is/was just that... suggested. Getting as many folks, as possible, to participate and share what they are using, and why, is my #1 goal. Format is a VERY distant second.

My only intent with the template is to encourage including similar information from all who reply. That way, the individual that comes to this thread to look for what might be best for them, might have an easier time finding the information that is important to them.

Multiple posts (from different users) for the same calculator are expected and encouraged. I doubt any of us can be all-inclusive in giving our thoughts so duplication ought to help flush things out. I have already seen several features I failed to include in my own post.

Replication might also give the "Searcher" an idea of popularity (if that has any importance to them).

If someone wants to participate, and genuinely has nothing further to add, a simple "I also use _____" is just fine.

Reactions: OlderNDirt

tazzle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2014
Athens, Greece
I use e-liquid-recipies.com, out lets you pick recipes based in what flavorings you have, you enter all you flavors and it keeps good track, there's tons of recipes and they all have ratings, it also has a list of what the best substitutions are if you don't have some particular flavor. It's web based which it's cool, it will work on any device, works by drop or weight .

I'm using this one, I think -- if you spell "recipes" correctly in the url, which for reasons no one has shared with me yet, cannot be mentioned or linked to on this site. I like that it's web-based instead of limited to a particular device, and that there's a pretty big shared database of user info. Also nice that if you want to for some reason, you can choose "drop"-based measurements. Until I get my (hopefully!) super-sensitive super-accurate scale, there are some recipes I can only make with drops, so I appreciate it.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Good start! Thank you @DaveP, @sofarsogood, @Tbev, @OlderNDirt, @jambi, and @JCinFLA! I appreciate all of you taking part. :thumbs:

I am a little surprised we haven't heard from any users of @Scubabatdan's calculator yet. I know it has a different feel and could benefit other to know about it.

Where are my phone app users (Android, Google, Windows, ?)? What are Mac/Apple/iPod/iPad DIYers using? I know there's lots of other Windows choices. What are you using? We wanna know! :D

I still want to hear from any and everyone who is willing to take the time to share their experience. Duplications and "+1's" welcome!

Please do stay on-topic (calculators). Other topics, such as personally preferred mixing methods, should only be mentioned as it relates to your calculator of choice if needed to properly explain calculator benefits. Let's do our best to keep this thread on the rails. Thank you. :)

We have a great beginning! Let's keep the momentum building!!

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I'm using this one, I think -- if you spell "recipes" correctly in the url, which for reasons no one has shared with me yet, cannot be mentioned or linked to on this site.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts @tazzle! :thumb:

Yep that's the banned/blocked site I mentioned in my original post. Looks like @Tbev managed to slide by in his/her post (#8) above (but I don't recommend trying). "Reasons" are not publicly discussed but can be found if you really want to dig for them. I know it is a shame, that this is how it has panned out, because They really do have some great (and unique) resources for us DIYers that I utilize often. But, as I said before:
We do not need to agree with the rules but we do need to respect them, and do our best to follow them. Enough said.

Regardless; I do appreciate you taking the time to share what is working for you and why!

Reactions: ceeceeisme
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread