May 21, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
vapefight.com
Reactions: DC2 and LaraC

LaraC

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2013
Tennessee
The American Medical Association (AMA) was one of the top contributors ($17,000) to Rep. Tom Price's campaign.

Unfortunately, the AMA fully supports the FDA's harsh deeming regulations.

From an AMA press release in mid-2015:

The AMA continues to advocate for more stringent policies to protect our country’s youth from the dangers of tobacco use and improve public health. The AMA’s newest policy expands on the AMA’s longtime efforts to help keep all tobacco products, including electronic cigarettes, out of the hands of young people, by urging laws to deter the sale of electronic cigarettes to anyone under the age of 21,” said AMA President Robert M. Wah, M.D. “We also urge the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to act now to implement its proposed rule to effectively regulate electronic cigarettes.”

The new policy extends existing AMA policy adopted in 2013 and 2014 calling for all electronic cigarettes to be subject to the same regulations and oversight that the FDA applies to tobacco and nicotine products, seeking tighter marketing restrictions on manufacturers, and prohibiting claims that electronic cigarettes are effective tobacco cessation tools.
(bold emphasis mine)

We can only hope that Rep. Price has the inclination to research the subject of e-cigarettes more thoroughly and intelligently than the AMA's Dr. Wah or the FDA or the CDC (or any number of major health charities and "public health" advocates) have done in the U.S.

We can only hope Price notices how the U.K's Public Health England and Royal College of Physicians regard electronic cigarettes as a good thing, and that he decides to set the U.S. on an equally e-cig friendly course.

A lot will depend on how willing Price would be to stand up against extreme pressure from Tobacco Control in this country.

Time will tell whether he has the desire to really understand the enormously beneficial public health implications of electronic cigarettes. Or whether he takes the easy way out (won't bother to really think about that subject) by letting the FDA wheels grind on to crush them.

WhiteHighlights

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
MetroWest Boston, MA, USA
It's a tough call..

1. Per PBS,he opposed the mandate to give women free access to contraceptives, on the basis it was unfair to religious employers AND (my emphasis) because he knew of no woman who couldn't get it when she needed it (a twitter storm ensued). This doesn't give me a good feeling that he will take the time to learn about vaping.
2. He's a member of the Association of American Physicians & Surgeons. Sounds like a nice name but this is a wacko group (IMHO). They take any gov't involvement in medicine to the extreme, opposing SocSec, Medicare and Medicaid completely. Plus, from Wiki:
Articles and commentaries published in the journal have argued a number of non-mainstream or scientifically discredited claims,[3] including:

I don't know if he concurred with the positions taken in the journal, but being part of such an ultra-conservative group, he could push back on the FDA for vaping regulations just because they are regulations. However, my concerns about him go well beyond vaping. I don't have high hopes for a science based view on any matter.

WhiteHighlights

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
MetroWest Boston, MA, USA
Typical politician speak..I appreciate your concerns, blah blah, follow me on FB. In between, no firm commitment regarding the bill nor to support e-cigs.

"...the effects of second hand smoking can be equally damaging to others..." Uhm, no.
"Fortunately, there are several alternatives out on the market.."
you mean the ones from BP that don't work? what about the e-cigs you were asked about?
"It is vital that we continue to research and promote useful alternatives"
and those would be?

Sigh. I'm in a cynical mood.

SeniorBoy

VapeFight.com Founder
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
vapefight.com

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
"....Rep. Price is one of the many politicians who actively opposed the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act, that Obama-spearheaded legislation that eventually led to the highly controversial FDA deeming regulations." Source: Trump taps Tom Price for Department of Health Secretary; Vaping industry hopeful

Price voted NO!!!! Source: The Voter's Self Defense System (Scroll down to GA to see his Nay Vote)

:banana:
Excellent find. He is at least somewhat aware of the vaping issue. If the act he opposed had not passed... It would be reasonable if he stopped implementation of the act if he can.

Reactions: SeniorBoy

nomore stinkies

Gee, Who did that?
ECF Veteran
Feb 23, 2014
IL
Three provisions in passing of the 2009 TCA
  • Prohibits the FDA from banning existing tobacco products or requiring that they eliminate nicotine (Sec. 101).
  • Requires FDA review of new tobacco products before they can go to market unless they are similar to products marketed before February 15, 2007 (Sec. 101). Isn't this "Our" date?
  • Bans companies from promoting products as lower-risk alternatives to traditional tobacco unless the FDA certifies that its sale is likely to improve public health (Sec. 101). (Royal College and etal)

Maybe, just maybe, he will use common sense and realize how many people have quit the combustibles by vaping. Vaping is a safer alternative and it does improve the health of people who quit cigarettes. AND not all people are successful when using the traditional NRT.
With Trump having a pro-business and jobs plan and Vaping being a billion dollar business, maybe this will turn the tide in our favor. Wouldn't that just make our day.

Reactions: motordude

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I just noticed a pesonal milestone I've been watching for, 20,000 cigarettes not smoked and $6,000 not spent on them and all that in just 2 years and some days. It would be a fine thing if all the politicians would go to hell and let me vape in peace.

Now, back to the war.

ed101z

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2013
East TN
".....

Price voted NO!!!! Source: The Voter's Self Defense System (Scroll down to GA to see his Nay Vote)

:banana:

I noticed Marsha Blackburn (RP from Tennessee) voted NAY as well to the FDA bill. She is VERY Close to Trump, and is being considered for a position in his Cabinet. She has spoken at his rallies as well. She would be a great person to start conversation with about stopping this FDA crap.

Pence also voted NAY as well according to the link.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread