What do you think of this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Konservative

ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2009
Holland, MI
I came up with this idea the other day at work (i have a very boring job) so I drew up a rough diagram. I am hoping for some input on this idea, and maybe even have some one draw a better diagram for me that includes the 5v regulator.

Here is the diagram, I will explain it as best as i can below the pic.
5V37Vbattset.jpg

S1,S2,S3,S4,and SM are 2 position selector switches (one side makes one set of contacts, the other side makes another set of contacts). P1 and P2 indicate witch contact is being made. Batt A and Batt B are self explanatory. In this set up I am hoping to go from 2 batts running in parallel at 3.7v (P1 on the switches) to running 5v (P2 on the switches). The main outs from S1 and S3 would then run to the 5v regulator.

Here is a quick run through of what each switch will do

S1/P1) Batt A & Batt B +
S2/P1) No contact
S3/P1) Batt A & Batt B -
S4/P1) Green LED (to indicate 3.7v is set)

S1/P2) Batt A +
S2/P2) Batt B + to Batt A -
S3/P2) Batt B -
S4/P2) Red LED (to indicate 5v set)

SM) Master on/off switch

All 4 selector switches would be tied together so that they would not be abel to be switched individually (to avoid any chance of explosion).

I hope i have explained my self well enough. Any advise, criticism, or better diagrams are greatly welcomed.

BadState

ECF Veteran
Dec 22, 2009
Redwood City, CA
I think it's a great idea and a good start. I hope the user wouldn't have to switch all those switches manually. There has to be a way to tie them all into one switch somehow, right? Some kind of cool circuit design that's well beyond my abilities...

On the other hand, I've seen some plans that use some kind of variable regulator set up that might give comparable results. Unless using cells in parallel is more efficient than wiring them in series and regulating them down. I lack sufficient electronics knowledge to judge.

I do think you're on to something, if you can get all those switches integrated into one somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread