what does "max VG" really mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

happydave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2013
United States
so i have been buying a number of e-liquids from a number of vendors, looking for something really tasty and that makes large volumes of vapor.
(basically the holy grail)

so of course whatever i buy is "max VG"
well some of this stuff im getting has about the viscosity of 50/50 or 40pg/60vg and does not produce the vapor i am looking for.
so does "max VG" just mean the company wont add any more PG than what the flavoring is dissolved in, but (the company) neglect to mention that they use distilled water or PGA instead?
or does "max VG" really designate some percentage of VG in the e-liquid?
also it seems like some companies are over stating the VG content. i bought one that was 20PG/80VG and it looked like and vaped like 60PG/40VG.
:confused:

happydave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2013
United States
I am kind of confused with you on this one, I have heard multiple explanations on it. Having vaped "max VG" and supposed "100% VG" both, I see no real difference. Will be interested in what others say here for a better explanation!

well calling a solution of VG, flavorings, nicotine and possibly distilled water and PGA "%100 VG" is about the worst you can do if you are trying to professionally manufacturer and sell e-liquid. it tells me that no one at your company passed high school chemistry.
even if im buying USP grade VG, its still not %100 VG. even dow OPTIM is not %100 pure.
so for this reason i will NEVER EVER buy anything from a company that offers %100 VG e-liquid.

happydave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2013
United States
My take is that "max VG" Simply means pure VG only adulterated by nicotine and flavorings. At least that's what producers I have dealt with have indicated.

if only they would all stick to this. i think i will look for %90 VG or more. at least this way i can limit the amount of variables.

the nicotine they use could also be in PG, and that is why its turning out around 50/50, but still call it max vg. :/

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I take it to mean that in the mixing process, when it comes time to add VG and PG, they add only VG;

but the thing they are adding to might already have some PG, sucralose, ethyl malthol, alcohol, and/or some other stuff in it.

Some processes might also use VG+water premixed to reduce viscosity and that would be the 'vg' used at the time of mixing.

I'm only speculating.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
The breakdown, for the places that are actually doing it right:

100 VG means exactly that. Any base liquid, nic. and flavorings are all VG. If there is any "other" in there like alcohol in the flavoring carrier that may not necessarily be disclosed. The greater point, especially for people with PG allergy, is that there is no PG anywhere in the ingredients.

Max VG -or- High VG are the sloppy cousin to 100 VG. Max VG means again - 100 VG in the base liquid and nic. - but the flavorings most likely contain PG as the carrier. Or maybe not. A few places will go as far as to list their flavorings exceptions that would result in a 100 VG liquid, and usually tell the consumer "everything else" will have PG in the flavorings. Many places won't be bothered to go that far. You could still end up with a liquid, let's say, with as high as a 20% PG content here depending on the flavorings.

70VG/30h2o and others should be spelled out. Some places that do customization will give you the option of 100 VG base & nic., or a mixture of VG and distilled water to give you a thinner liquid if that works better in your device of choice. Technically this isn't a 100 VG liquid, and this option being present doesn't guarantee the flavorings do not contain PG either.

I don't think there is any way to assume that a certain viscosity - or lack of it - in your liquids means the "100 VG" you got may have added water or alcohol to thin it. Things like Dekang and Hangens VG liquids are almost as thin as their PG counterparts. On the other extreme a place like The Vapor Room uses "gravy style" VG that can be as thick as it gets. In other words - I've seen it all over the map. If you don't know or if you need to know what's going on the only thing you can do is ask the vendor.

Last edited:

happydave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2013
United States
It should mean 100% VG
Most of THE time it doesn't
Bring on the unification!

why would you call a solution of VG, flavoring, nicotine and possibly distilled water and or PGA 100% VG or 100% anything for that matter?.
its more than just VG in the bottle, labeling it 100% VG is just wrong. it would be like calling soda pop, "100% carbonated water". "PG free" is much better term for e-liquid that does not contain PG.

i will never use a vendor that labels their product as "100% VG".

Last edited:

Wraith504

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2014
New Orleans, LA
Max VG is the most VG that they can actually use in your juice. It depends on flavoring primarily. Nic can be based in VG no loss of VG there. Flavor is typically carried in PG. So lets assume your fav juice flavor needs a total of 20% flavoring and all those flavors are carried by PG, very few are carried by VG. Then you would have the max VG they can use to acheive the flavor. giving you 20PG80VG. if you mix a stand alone flavor and can get a decent taste at lets say 8%. Then you would simply have 8pg92vg. Unless you need to dilute.

happydave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2013
United States
Max VG is the most VG that they can actually use in your juice. It depends on flavoring primarily. Nic can be based in VG no loss of VG there. Flavor is typically carried in PG. So lets assume your fav juice flavor needs a total of 20% flavoring and all those flavors are carried by PG, very few are carried by VG. Then you would have the max VG they can use to acheive the flavor. giving you 20PG80VG. if you mix a stand alone flavor and can get a decent taste at lets say 8%. Then you would simply have 8pg92vg. Unless you need to dilute.

right so "Max VG" does not really mean much... i started looking for E-liquids with 90%+ VG.

Axismundixl

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2014
The Netherlands
why would you call a solution of VG, flavoring, nicotine and possibly distilled water and or PGA 100% VG or 100% anything for that matte?.
its more than just VG in the bottle, labeling it 100% VG is just wrong. it would be like calling soda pop, "100% carbonated water". "PG free" is much better term for e-liquid that does not contain PG.

i will never use a vendor that labels their product as "100% VG".

I agree happydave! PG free it is!!!
So all juice makers out there start unifying you juice abbreviations!

I prefer PG free juice!
Could you say it is not true you need PG to carry the Flavour?
VG seems to do the trick maybe not as good as PG but who wouldn't prefer a vegetable base instead of a synthetic one.

VG might just need a bit more steeping?

I wonder why there is such a price difference in liquids? Is it the quality range of the VG?
Is PG so cheap compared to VG?
Or is it the label?

JMarca

E-Cig Afficionado
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2013
New York
The label "Max VG" these days is nothing more than a marketing term for more sales.

Most companies use this label because of the recent popularity of "cloud chasing" so to draw more sales they stamp that on the title of the product and hope to make a few extra sales. It simply means they've removed the PG from their formula, not exactly hard but in this cutthroat world we live in any extra sale is welcome, so they do what they must.

The value of PG vs VG is laughable and the juice markup these days is insane so don't worry it's not about cutting corners or making it more "premium" it's simple, it's marketing.

The required steep time has little to no impact either way.

Noble Gas

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
California
Of the several ingredients in e-juice, the two primary and most easily tailored to suit different vaping styles are the PG and the VG. PG carries much more of a share of the flavor and throat hit than the VG, while VG's primary property is vapor production. These are the two ingredients most frequently needing adjustment by consumers of e-liquid, and when you get to choose, you're choosing the ratio between the two, not their total amount of volume in the juice.

If you're using a cartomizer or clearomizer, a higher PG is recommended because that juice will be thinner and will work better in those devices, and will deliver a more intense flavor and throat hit. A Max VG juice, on the other hand, is primarily intended to be used in an RDA because it's too thick to wick efficiently in a carto or clearo. However, some flavorings are only available in a PG base, and some flavors are perhaps too subtle without a little PG added to them. Since VG doesn't convey flavor as well as PG, max VG liquids need more flavorings added to the juice.

Most juice companies I've seen have a disclaimer when '100% VG' or 'Max VG' doesn't mean 'there is no PG at all', and will have details about their ratios in their FAQ. If you don't find an FAQ or other such information blurb on their site, the majority of juice companies will happily answer your questions if you message them about it. Some companies might not answer your questions about their juice recipes, but it's rare. And, for what it's worth, I wouldn't buy juice from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread