What happened to 5 volt 3.0 ohm vaping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Phoenix II

Moved On
Jun 12, 2019
I stopped vaping a few years back after vaping since 2010 so i'm no newbie. I used a Lava Tube by Volcano with 5 volts and a CE 5 type cartomizer. No one speaks of e-cigs in terms of volts anymore and I'm kinda lost picking out a new system. I used a 3.0 ohm coil with between 4.5 to 5 volts so wattage is anywhere from 6 to 8 watts.

I cannot find 3.0 ohm coils anywhere but that's the experience I like. I go to the e-cig store and ask the guy what he has that works with 3.0 ohm coils for 5 volt vaping and he looks at me like a deer caught in the headlights.

What choices do I have to fix this problem? Thanks..

Fredman1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2017
New Zealand
Yeah things has changed drastically. According to Steam engineering you can get 3ohm from 32G wire...6 wraps.
That's the only way I know to get to that nowadays. I'm sure more knowledgeable people will be around though.
Have you got some kind of set up in mind yet?

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
You may enjoy a sub-ohm 50 watt vape as much or more then your 5 volt rig. I found a setup I liked and didn’t keep up with this forum or the gear for a few years. That was around 2012-13 and I was using a Zmax with 1.8-2.4 ohm protank vaping around 10 watts and less. When I came back and seen all the subohm gear I figured I’d try it out and was very happy. I get much better flavor and vapor then I did on my out setup. These lower ohm builds give you a lot of vapor with just a tiny puff which I love. If you go down to 1 ohm coil I think you’ll like it. The rebuildable atomizers out now are great and you can just build 3 ohm coils if you wish. Gives you much more control to the way you vape and provide great flavor. Good luck to you and just read up, when I came back after a couple years I was overwhelmed and seeing all these mods that could do 100 watts I thought was nuts. If I went over ten watts I’d be vaping fire. But you’ll see that isn’t the case and the gear now is superior to the gear of yesteryear

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
You may want to look into MTL devices. I hear great things about the geekvape Flint and the vandyvape AP. I tried the aspire nautilus X that came with the aspire quad flex I picked up for 10$ to try out an RDA... It has a 1.8ohm coil that I would call a good MTL vape at 20w or so. A decent mod should be volt or watt mode capable, if you feel more you're thing. I used to vape 5v on a 901 pass through, btw.

Sent from my XT1765 using Tapatalk

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
I'm a bit disappointed with it. Not bad but I expected more. Seeing that they use the same coils, i'm getting the Frenzy now. Some very good noises around about that.
I could see that being great with the air flow control. I know I like the form factor. So much so I almost considered the demon killer tiny mod, and I can't seem to part with the Trinity alpha, even though it's Smok. MTL is difficult to mass produce though, as restriction preference vs coil cooling ability are tricky to balance.

• Agree
Reactions: Fredman1

rosesense

14 years and counting
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 1, 2010
    TN
    I stopped vaping a few years back after vaping since 2010 so i'm no newbie. I used a Lava Tube by Volcano with 5 volts and a CE 5 type cartomizer. No one speaks of e-cigs in terms of volts anymore and I'm kinda lost picking out a new system. I used a 3.0 ohm coil with between 4.5 to 5 volts so wattage is anywhere from 6 to 8 watts.

I cannot find 3.0 ohm coils anywhere but that's the experience I like. I go to the e-cig store and ask the guy what he has that works with 3.0 ohm coils for 5 volt vaping and he looks at me like a deer caught in the headlights.

Yes, sub ohm has sort of taken over. Might I suggest a Zenith tank with 1.6 ohm coils. With low watts, I think you will find this fairly close to the old days, only better. Those are drop in coils so if you want to build your own, you can make it 3.0 if you like.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 24, 2014
    Sunnyvale,CA,USA
    Sub ohm is where the money's at for the vendors, so nothing has changed.
    I have several of the 2 post deep well Magma's which are set up for single coil usage. A deep well and can last me an hour before re dripping. RDTA's are hybrids, and may skirt tank problems. Set up: Eleaf Istick 30 with a magma RDA set at 2.5 ohms/4.2 v 32ga/4-5 turns .100"id coil, Juice: zero nic with unflavored VG. Vaping has never been better for me. With unflavored I never get board with the taste. If I want a change, clean coil and put a new wick = good to go.

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Today's modern equivalent would be a pod mod, or a low wattage mod (battery device) with a MTL (mouth-to-lung) tank.

I'm not all that knowledgeable with the pod mods, but the low wattage mods using and MTL tanks would be...

There are also the ego battery setups, but those are being phased out by the industry and are getting harder and harder to find.

Good Starter Setups for a Beginner Vaper

You can use just about any variable wattage mod with any MTL tank. Just adjust the wattage to around 6 - 12 watts and after you find your sweet spot in wattage, no further adjustments need to be made.

MTL tank recommendations:

Innokin Zlide
    Innokin Zenith
    Aspire Nautilus (standard size or mini)​

Last edited:

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 26, 2012
    Texas
    Due to vast improvements in delivery devices over the years the older style 5v / 3.Ω carto has gone out of style and been replaced with Mtl 'tanks' that use .7Ω - 1.8Ω replaceable atomizer coil heads.
    There are some places that still carry & sell carto's, they aren't as easy to find as they once were, many are selling very old stock. The last box of boge carto's I bought were obviously handled & stored in less than desirable ways.
    No matter what I tried they all gave off an old musty, dusty taste the liquid was unable to overcome. Yep seals on boxes & caps in place on carto's.

Probably the closest to a carto but improved would be the aspire nautilus mini or full size with a 1.8Ω head.
    A nice step above that but still reminiscent to a carto tank is the innokin zenith using a 1.6Ω head.

Coming from a carto tank to either I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Last edited:

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 25, 2012
    Alberta, Canada
    Your mistake is getting hung up on specific numbers tied to outmoded technology. There are all sorts of permutations of Ohm's Law that'll give you the same experience or better.

Old mods put out a fixed voltage and coils had to be tailored to it. Then regulators were implemented to allow voltage to be adjusted (VV). Then circuitry was added to make the voltage adjustments automatic to obtain a specific wattage (VW). Then temperature sensing logic was added to make wattage adjustment automatic (TC). Most mods have several modes which allow you to use as many or as few of these features as you like.

Just focus on the basics. Decide how much vapor you want and how will you inhale it. Thick or thin? A mouthful or a lungful? Warm or cold?

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    @GOMuniEsq – excellent post

3 ohms is the resistance ceiling of many devices – if allowing for variances with wire and internal resistances, you might be in trouble with operation. But if your objective is to vape at 8 watts, there are many ways to achieve that.

John Phoenix II

Moved On
    Jun 12, 2019
    You folks have given me a lot to think about. I found articles on both MTL and sub ohm coils here The 7 Best MTL Tanks on the Market Right Now 2019 [June] and here The 7 Best Sub Ohm Tanks for Clouds and Flavor 2019 [June]

I don't like either choice.

MTL doesn't give clouds according to the above article. MTL's are recommended to use with nic salts which I don't like at all and refuse to touch. They are said to work best with high nic juice and I'll either use 18 or 24 mg nicotine.. I thought that was standard.. how much higher do they want you to go? (I believe they call this Free Base - I'll either mix my own juice or use something like FreedomSmokeUSA's Wyatt Earp.)

Sub Ohm I like even Less. They have high battery drain, high liquid consumption and are expensive. Mind you i'm only going by what these articles say, I don't know how true any of these claims are. I used to buy a 5 pack of CE5 coils for around 10 bucks and they would last me at least a month each. I'm not willing to pay anymore than that.. perhaps 20 for a pack of coils IF I can get them to last a month each like I could with the CE5's. -

I Really Don't like the idea of the large fat type of tank which both the sub ohm and MTL use, at all and want something slim/tall like the CE5.

It seems if I do anything, i'll have to look into rebuildable MTL. With a Variable Voltage Mod like the Lavatube I could set any watts or volts but I won't know how any of these tanks hit unless I can try them out and compere them for myself which no e-cig vendor is gonna let me do i'm afraid.

--> Of course all of this would be moot if I could just buy the darn CE5's like I want to in the first place. So much for e-cig "Progress", seems to me like they took a step back.

Reactions: vapdivrr

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 26, 2012
    Texas
    Mtl can produce very nice clouds, sure, not as much as a Dtl sub ohm wide open airflow cloud blower type delivery device.
    Vg is what produces cloudz, increasing the Vg in your liquids to 60 -70% or if you already use high Vg liquids will make a noticeable difference in cloud production over a high Pg based liquid, like 60%+ Pg in the Pg/Vg ratio.

Mtl tanks/delivery devices can be used with either freebase or nic salts, saying they work 'better' or 'best' with nic salts is just flat not true.

Nicotine content is a personal preference, many folks use Mtl tanks with any nic mg/ml from 0 to the strongest avalible.

The same clouds, nic mg/ml, throat and satisfaction you're accustom to from a carto/ carto tank can be had most likely improved upon using a newer Mtl delivery device / tank.
    The newer mtl tanks will likely deliver more flavor, more clouds, more nic hit overall more satisfaction than a ce5.

The innokon zenith or aspire nautilus for example is no bigger than a carto tank, the drip tip is the same diameter as a cig a like or ce5.
    Both come in 2ml or 4-5ml liquid capacity of course the tank for the 2ml variety is smaller in diameter.

Not knocking your sources, there is a lot of personal opinions & preferences mixed with bias and a touch of misinformation in them.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    You folks have given me a lot to think about. I found articles on both MTL and sub ohm coils here The 7 Best MTL Tanks on the Market Right Now 2019 [June] and here The 7 Best Sub Ohm Tanks for Clouds and Flavor 2019 [June]

I don't like either choice.

MTL doesn't give clouds according to the above article. MTL's are recommended to use with nic salts which I don't like at all and refuse to touch. They are said to work best with high nic juice and I'll either use 18 or 24 mg nicotine.. I thought that was standard.. how much higher do they want you to go? (I believe they call this Free Base - I'll either mix my own juice or use something like FreedomSmokeUSA's Wyatt Earp.)

Sub Ohm I like even Less. They have high battery drain, high liquid consumption and are expensive. Mind you i'm only going by what these articles say, I don't know how true any of these claims are. I used to buy a 5 pack of CE5 coils for around 10 bucks and they would last me at least a month each. I'm not willing to pay anymore than that.. perhaps 20 for a pack of coils IF I can get them to last a month each like I could with the CE5's. -

I Really Don't like the idea of the large fat type of tank which both the sub ohm and MTL use, at all and want something slim/tall like the CE5.

It seems if I do anything, i'll have to look into rebuildable MTL. With a Variable Voltage Mod like the Lavatube I could set any watts or volts but I won't know how any of these tanks hit unless I can try them out and compere them for myself which no e-cig vendor is gonna let me do i'm afraid.

--> Of course all of this would be moot if I could just buy the darn CE5's like I want to in the first place. So much for e-cig "Progress", seems to me like they took a step back.
    Shopping Cart

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 11, 2019
    Here is a link to a store that has CE5 in stock. and above it is a link to a thread where I felt much like you do, save for it was the dse 901 I was after. I ordered a bunch from this site, and still have all of them in the original packaging, as in the month it took to get to me, I found something much, much better.

New to vaping again

eGo e-cig|Joye ego e-cigarette|eGo-T|eGo-C|eGo-W|eGo CE4/CE5 series

Reactions: Foggy Road

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 22, 2015
    Garland,TX
    Probably the only way you'll find what you want is to scour the clearance pages. That's how I got a lot my old school stuff.

This deal can't be beat, and I've dealt with this vendor before. I have 2 of these mods myself and they're among my faves. Bought mine on a BOGO deal. $10 for the first one, the second was free.

Personal Vaporizer E-Cig - SmokTech - SID

They require an 18650 battery and seperate charger.

You have to kinda overlook today's reviews. Standards have changed too much. Your CE5s vapor production would be laughed at today, yet it makes you happy right?
    There are also some old school atomisers on that sight but I'm not familiar with them.

440BB

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 19, 2011
    The Motor City
    Here is a link to a store that has CE5 in stock. and above it is a link to a thread where I felt much like you do, save for it was the dse 901 I was after. I ordered a bunch from this site, and still have all of them in the original packaging, as in the month it took to get to me, I found something much, much better.

New to vaping again

eGo e-cig|Joye ego e-cigarette|eGo-T|eGo-C|eGo-W|eGo CE4/CE5 series

That's the first vendor I used when I started out. Everything they've sent me worked well. If you contact them and ask for the wholesale price list, you'll save about half.

I suspect there are millions of people happily vaping CE4 and CE5 clearos every day, it's just that they aren't here on ECF. They found what works for them and aren't shopping around, kind of like cigarettes.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread