EU What happens to vaping if the UK leaves the EU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

conanthewarrior

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2014
Essex, England.
I am wondering this very thing myself, as I live in the UK.

I understand tanks will be limited to 2ML's, which isn't too bad as in general, I am not a high wattage vaper, 30W usually does me. Also, I do a lot of importing, so I can always import tanks for example.

The only thing that may be an issue is Nicotine base, as I DIY my juice. I only use around 3MG, so will be OK, but I know it will cost more to purchase.

I can't see any way of regulating the sale of Kanthal (or other wire types for TC), batteries, PG, VG and flavourings, so I am sure I will be OK in that regard.

I do like collecting mods though, so I hope there is no effect in the ability to obtain mods from the UK, as I much prefer spending my money on expensive mods in the UK from UK stores, I already own 19 regulated mods and 6 mechs, but I enjoy collecting them.

Hopefully, the TPD will not be as bad as we expected, I guess the only way to find out is when it comes into place.

All the best, Conan.

disley

ECF Veteran
Nov 30, 2013
Australia
I don't know why you want to risk coming under this centralized power structure.
There's no way the UK will escape from these laws if Britain is a member.
Have you seriously looked at what will happen to vapers if you stay in the EU?
Not only that, but for the population in general.
The UK puts far more into the EU than it gets back.
Have a look at the damage staying in the EU will do to British vapers:
http://www.ukipdaily.com/brussels-turns-e-cigarette-smokers/
A decision ratified by EU finance ministers this week means the 2.2 million members of the Great British Public – and the Europeans as well – who currently use e-cigarettes, can look forward to a 77% tax rate on their purchases. This will bring vaping – the smoker’s option accepted as the healthiest by many experts – into the same tax bracket as cigarettes and cigars.
As one of the earliest adopters of democracy, British voters should be appalled at giving a European legislature power over their country.
Vote to leave this non representative rabble, and start doing what's best for Britain, its people, and its vapers.

Reactions: Rossum

Oliver

ECF Founder, formerly SmokeyJoe
Admin
Verified Member
There's a huge amount of misinformation on this - I'll try to clear things up....

The TPD is already implemented in UK law and comes into effect on May 20th this year. If we leave the EU, the law is still on our books and would have to be repealed by parliament. Quite frankly, I can see absolutely no appetite for this at all given:

1. UK Gov and MHRA have already worked to ensure what will probably be the most liberal implementation in the EU (and probably the world, in the long run). What benefit is our parliament likely to see in reversing this?

2. Even if we left the EU we'd end up in a similar position to Norway where we would have to comply with most of EU regulations in order to maintain our trading positions with the common market. And similarly to Norway, we'd have absolutely no say whatsoever in those regulations.

I'd also like to point out that our parliament is perfectly capable of creating spectacularly stupid legislation all by itself. Read this and weep. And here's a funny thing - the MHRA was in all likelihood going to remove vaping products from the market until they'd been medically regulated. The TPD is the reason we still have vaping products!

None of this is meant to justify the TPD, which is arbitrary, pointless and does nothing at all to make vaping a better proposition to vapers (and, indeed, smokers since advertising is all but banned), and is especially dangerous for vapers in other member states whose governments take a very different view on the issue.

Now, in terms of products - here's the thing: The big change that comes into effect on May 20th is that nothing can be put on the market until it has been pre-notified. I've been informed that in the UK this notification period will be significantly shorter than the 6 months which the TPD requires (not sure how that works legally, but it comes from the top).

During the next 6 months, all products which are on the market must be notified prior to Nov 19th, otherwise they have to come off the market after May 19th 2017. But all products on the market prior to May 20th 2016 can be sold until May 19th 2017!

However, obviously the only products which can be notified are ones which are TPD compliant (2ml tanks, etc). The reality is, though, that over the next year or so new TPD compliant products will come on the market - variable power and temperature control are not going to disappear, they just have to be tested in accordance with the requirements. The grace period should give manufacturers enough time to get used to the requirements and design good gear which will be allowed.

Notification is a serious business. I'm already concerned that there are liquid manufacturers who do not have the requisite composition data available from their flavor suppliers who will submit notifications despite a lack of accuracy in those notifications. This is the real bugger for eliquids - the formulations have to stay the same: no more chopping and changing between flavor suppliers, as changing formulations will require a new notification (and will have to come off the market until that notification is accepted).

And it's actually a criminal offence to submit a notification knowing that any of the information is inaccurate, and punishable by up to 2 years in Jail!! This is not mickey mouse stuff.

Oliver

ECF Founder, formerly SmokeyJoe
Admin
Verified Member
Regarding the above post - I'm currently putting together a blog for vaping.com which will, I think, be the definitive version of where things are currently in Europe. I'm taking advice from many industry folk as well as policy makers and government.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread