What is a "mech" tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
Hey guys - I have a question. I work with a bunch of men. Today, I was outside vaping and one of the guys saw me vaping and pulled out his :). It looked like a regular normal regulated mod to me. I did not recognize the tank. He was excitedly talking to me about vaping and raving about this tank. He then said that his tank was a "mech Tank". I was like, Huh. He said that his tank can be used on a normal device and a mechanical mod. Is that true? I do not use mechs and have no desire to use one. I am just curious. I take it that regular tanks cannot be used on a mech? and perhaps there has to be some kind of pin adjustment? I am just guessing - I have no idea.

If someone can explain - I'd appreciate it. I like to be knowledgeable!

Thanks

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Aww. So polite of you. My suspicion is you were way more knowledgeable than he was about the whole thing. Us guys are just hard wired to try to impress ladies. It’s a compulsion. We’re weak that way.
I’m having to guess here, but my first suspicion is he talked to some dude at a vape shop and the communication got a bit confused by the sales pitch. He most likely got an atty with a protruding center pin so it could be used on a hybrid mech without shorting out. There are a few cartridge coil tanks that will do that. He could still put a super sub ohm cartridge in the thing and blow his face off with it anyway of course, assuming such coils are made that fit in his tank. I’m kind of playing the numbers here. There are a couple of other possibilities but that sounds like the most likely one from here.

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    I'm kinda confused, but I'm still in my single digit vapin' years.. I would've been utterly confused. I have several RTA's and two or three clearo's that I can use on an eGo type battery, a reg, or a mech. I too am thinking he got caught up in a sales pitch.

Reactions: chellie

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    I'm kinda confused, but I'm still in my single digit vapin' years.. I would've been utterly confused. I have several RTA's and two or three clearo's that I can use on an eGo type battery, a reg, or a mech. I too am thinking he got caught up in a sales pitch.
    Bad news it only gets more confusing, plus as you start to get really old your ability to parse confusion reduces. Might as well get comfortable with it. It’s what I’m trying to do anyway.

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 21, 2015
    Arkansas Ozarks
    I am getting older and I've never had parsnips with my ability to confuse.

That said, I am sure that @bombastinator is correct. He had a tank with a protruding center pin that might be safe to use on a mech with an appropriate build. I would NEVER recommend using a drop-in coil tank on a mech, as there is no way to know without first testing on a regulated mod or deck if the coil you've just installed is reading correctly or is damaged and shorting. For instance, most mesh coils are in the 0.15Ω range which would pull around 28 Amps. More than the average 18650 can safely handle. Some run into the 0.12Ω range... 35 Amps... well beyond ANY 18650 CDR.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    I am getting older and I've never had parsnips with my ability to confuse.

That said, I am sure that @bombastinator is correct. He had a tank with a protruding center pin that might be safe to use on a mech with an appropriate build. I would NEVER recommend using a drop-in coil tank on a mech, as there is no way to know without first testing on a regulated mod or deck if the coil you've just installed is reading correctly or is damaged and shorting. For instance, most mesh coils are in the 0.15Ω range which would pull around 28 Amps. More than the average 18650 can safely handle. Some run into the 0.12Ω range... 35 Amps... well beyond ANY 18650 CDR.

Heh.. he said parsnips.. snrk..
    upload_2019-3-9_23-39-31.jpg

Reactions: Plumes.91

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 24, 2013
    Hollywood (Beach), FL
    The issue is a problem for tanks with (potentially) floating 510 pins. A classic example is the Kanger Subtank. The pin is not fixed within the base insulator. The drop in coil or RBA screws down into the base contacting the pin and locking it in place.

The hazard here is that the atomizer can back out from the base. One possible cause may be interaction of friction with the chimney or vapor exit tube. Refilling and repeated re-seating of the tank onto the base may end up causing the cartridge to unwind out of the thread. This may result in the contact of the coil section being higher up in the base itself (if a gap results, you're lucky no fire is a symptom). When you then tighten down the tank onto the mod the 510 pin may slip upwards within the 510 of the base to a point where neg and pos are equal and may simultaneously touch the battery.

I've seen many examples where even just close to being even drastically dropped resistance. So you don't necessarily see a runaway or explosion. Still a very dicey hazard. On this score I would offer the following advice — mistrust anything that doesn't immediately fire. A symptom of this scenario is any atomizer heating up too quickly or too hot (to touch).

Also, to dispel the myth, I have too many times to count seen the above occur on regulated mods. The mod may or may not trigger an error (out of res range). Reason to mention this is that every device's 510 connection is different. How the 510 seats is varied and no one pin length is a guarantee of safety or suitability either. Many longer pins won't seat at all on some devices, for example.

Wouldn't trust safe chemistry. Nor would I rely on fixed pin devices with hybrids either. Everything needs to be routinely and meticulously checked. There is always an element of risk. Having said all that…

Although seldom my preference, I do run floating pin tanks on hybrid mech's. It can be done. Just not carelessly.

I also light barbecues on occasion. But hey, that's just me.

Good luck.. :)

Last edited:

chellie

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 24, 2014
    USA
    Aww. So polite of you. My suspicion is you were way more knowledgeable than he was about the whole thing. Us guys are just hard wired to try to impress ladies. It’s a compulsion. We’re weak that way.
    I’m having to guess here, but my first suspicion is he talked to some dude at a vape shop and the communication got a bit confused by the sales pitch. He most likely got an atty with a protruding center pin so it could be used on a hybrid mech without shorting out. There are a few cartridge coil tanks that will do that. He could still put a super sub ohm cartridge in the thing and blow his face off with it anyway of course, assuming such coils are made that fit in his tank. I’m kind of playing the numbers here. There are a couple of other possibilities but that sounds like the most likely one from here.
    :) Many thanks!

chellie

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 24, 2014
    USA
    The issue is a problem for tanks with (potentially) floating 510 pins. A classic example is the Kanger Subtank. The pin is not fixed within the base insulator. The drop in coil or RBA screws down into the base contacting the pin and locking it in place.

The hazard here is that the atomizer can back out from the base. One possible cause may be interaction of friction with the chimney or vapor exit tube. Refilling and repeated re-seating of the tank onto the base may end up causing the cartridge to unwind out of the thread. This may result in the contact of the coil section being higher up in the base itself (if a gap results, you're lucky no fire is a symptom). When you then tighten down the tank onto the mod the 510 pin may slip upwards within the 510 of the base to a point where neg and pos are equal and may simultaneously touch the battery.

I've seen many examples where even just close to being even drastically dropped resistance. So you don't necessarily see a runaway or explosion. Still a very dicey hazard. On this score I would offer the following advice — mistrust anything that doesn't immediately fire. A symptom of this scenario is any atomizer heating up too quickly or too hot (to touch).

Also, to dispel the myth, I have too many times to count seen the above occur on regulated mods. The mod may or may not trigger an error (out of res range). Reason to mention this is that every device's 510 connection is different. How the 510 seats is varied and no one pin length is a guarantee of safety or suitability either. Many longer pins won't seat at all on some devices, for example.

Wouldn't trust safe chemistry. Nor would I rely on fixed pin devices with hybrids either. Everything needs to be routinely and meticulously checked. There is always an element of risk. Having said all that…

Although seldom my preference, I do run floating pin tanks on hybrid mech's. It can be done. Just not carelessly.

I also light barbecues on occasion. But hey, that's just me.

Good luck.. :)
    Thanks. As I read paragraph 1 and 2 I was thinking "mechanicals" and then you answered what I was thinking in paragraph 3. Thank-you.

chellie

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 24, 2014
    USA
    Many thanks to all that answered. As some of you know I have been vaping for 7 years and keep up-to-date with regulated mods. I work in a tech position and even train others but it is in a different realm.

@bombastinator Funny. Funny. Funny .... but true. I work with nearly all men (which I like btw) and I am perceived as very tough (my back east ways) and in a mgmt capacity. So here I was outside looking all cute (I think) and I thought he did not know what the f he was talking about but did not want to live up to my b---chy reputation so I controlled myself.

Here's how the conversation could very well have gone if I did not control myself
    Me: A "MECH" tank. I've never heard of that. Are you sure?
    Him: Oh, yes it is a very special tank.
    Me: Hmmm. What is the brand of that tank? I do not recognize it. Is it rebuildable? I started rebuilding a few years back and it is practically all I use. You can really fine-tune things and I even found, in the long run, that it saves some money.
    Him: Um, it was very expensive and is the latest that can go on anything.
    Me: That's nice. I was wondering if it was rebuildable. You're Sub-ohm-ing, right? Do you build your own coils or use the drop in ones?
    Him: Gives me blank look --- is now trying to get away from me --lol
    Me: I don't think I've ever seen that box either - what kind of box are you using? It is regulated, right? Do you remove the batteries or are they built in?
    Him: Uh, well when it gets low I plug into the computer.
    Me: Wow. Really - how interesting. Do you mind - can I see your setup?
    Him: Reluctantly hands over his vape
    Me: Oh I see you are using a SMOK mod. See, it says SMOK right here. And yes, it has a built-in battery and it goes up to 150 watts and it also has temperature control. I am not too familiar with SMOK - they are on my do not vape or buy list because I have some concerns about their safety. You should too. You know, you really should not be plugging in any mod into a computer to charge because it can be dangerous and you should use a separate charger. And, I am guessing you were plugging that into the shop computer? (He nods meekly) That must stop right now. Do not do that again - do you understand? It is not safe. Hello - did you hear me - do not plug that into any of the shop computers. Got it? Do you have an external charger?
    Him: Well, for my phone
    Me: (I make mental note to call IT and disable USB ports) I have an extra charger in my desk. You can swing on by and I will give it to you. Also, that tank is not a "mech" tank. It is SMOK tank that you must have gotten with the kit and it takes drop-in coils. You are using a regulated mod that has some built-in safety precautions. I do not use or recommend mechanical mods because I have concerns about their safety -- even in expert hands. Although I cannot profess any expert knowledge about them, I can tell you that there are no safety controls and it runs directly off the battery. As far as a mech tank I believe it has something to do with the pin on the tank and how it makes contact with the mechanical mod - but you do not need to worry about that because you definitely should not be using that type of set up. Ever!
    Him: trying to get his vape back and get away from me.
    Me: You know - I think you could benefit from using a different setup. I have lots of stuff and I even have some extra boxes that take external batteries and brand new tanks that take drop in-coils that I can give you if you want to try something different that is much better. And, if you really want to expand your knowledge and understanding, I'd recommend the-cigarette forum. They have a ton of info there and really nice folks that can answer questions. That's how I started.....
    Him: Well gotta go back to work. Grabbing his vape and practically running away from me

He then goes back to the shop and tells the guys that I am the biggest b from hell who thinks she knows everything!!!

I call IT and tell them to disable the ports on the shop computer immediately!

The end.

Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Many thanks to all that answered. As some of you know I have been vaping for 7 years and keep up-to-date with regulated mods. I work in a tech position and even train others but it is in a different realm.

@bombastinator Funny. Funny. Funny .... but true. I work with nearly all men (which I like btw) and I am perceived as very tough (my back east ways) and in a mgmt capacity. So here I was outside looking all cute (I think) and I thought he did not know what the f he was talking about but did not want to live up to my b---chy reputation so I controlled myself.

Here's how the conversation could very well have gone if I did not control myself
    Me: A "MECH" tank. I've never heard of that. Are you sure?
    Him: Oh, yes it is a very special tank.
    Me: Hmmm. What is the brand of that tank? I do not recognize it. Is it rebuildable? I started rebuilding a few years back and it is practically all I use. You can really fine-tune things and I even found, in the long run, that it saves some money.
    Him: Um, it was very expensive and is the latest that can go on anything.
    Me: That's nice. I was wondering if it was rebuildable. Your Sub-ohm-ing, right? Do you build your own coils or use the drop in ones.
    Him: Gives me blank look --- is now trying to get away from me --lol
    Me: I don't think I've ever seen that box either - what kind of box are you using? It is regulated, right? Do you remove the batteries or are they built in?
    Him: Uh,well when it gets low I plug into the computer.
    Me: Wow. Really - how interesting. Do you mind - can I see your setup?
    Him: Reluctantly hands over his vape
    Me: Oh I see you are using a SMOK mod. See, it says SMOK right here. And yes, it has a built-in battery and it goes up to 150 watts and it also has temperature control. I am not too familiar with SMOK - they are on my do not vape or buy list because I have some concerns about their safety. You should too. You know, you really should not be plugging in any mod into a computer to charge because it can be dangerous and you should use a separate charger. And, I am guessing you were plugging that into the shop computer? (He nods meekly) That must stop right now. Do not do that again - do you understand? It is not safe. Hello - did you hear me - do not plug that into any of the shop computers. Got it? Do you have an external charger?
    Him: Well, for my phone
    Me: (I make mental note to call IT and disable USB ports) I have an extra charger in my desk. You can swing on by and I will give it to you. Also, that tank is not a "mech" tank. It is SMOK tank that you must have gotten with the kit and it takes drop-in coils. You are using a regulated mod that has some built-in safety precautions. I do not use or recommend mechanical mods because I have concerns about their safety -- even in expert hands. Although I cannot profess any expert knowledge about them. I can tell you that there are no safety controls and it runs directly off the battery. As far as a mech tank I believe it has something to do with the pin on the tank and how it makes contact with the mechanical mod - but you do not need to worry about that because you definitely should not be using that type of set up. Ever!
    Him: trying to get his vape back and get away from me.
    Me: You know - I think you could benefit from using a different setup. I have lots of stuff and I even have some extra boxes that take external batteries and brand new tanks that take drop in-coils that I can give you if you want to try something different that is much better. And, if you really want to expand your knowledge and understanding, I'd recommend the-cigarette forum. They have a ton of info there and really nice folks that can answer questions. That's how I started.....
    Him: Well gotta go back to work. Grabbing his vape and practically running away from me

He then goes back to the shop and tells the guys that I am the biggest b from hell who thinks she knows everything!!!

I call IT and tell them to disable the ports on the shop computer immediately!

The end.
    Back when my dad moved to Maryland after he retired, the next door neighbors had a set of peacocks. A male and a female. In the spring the male’s feathers would grow out and then he’d run up and “flumph!” (It actually did make that noise) he’d display his three foot semicircle of plumage. The female would simply walk past ignoring him, so he’d jump up, scurry around in front of her and do it again. And again, and again. For the entire spring. There were always eggs at the end though so it couldn’t have been completely useless. Way too much work though. I always kinda felt sorry for him. He was named George.

Falconeer

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 27, 2015
    Dunoon, West of Scotland.
    You know some kinds of guys just do that when there's a woman around. Once when I was smoking an ordinary pipe for a change I was lectured by a guy about how good Falcon pipes were .... and I'm the guy who wrote the manual about them, their diseases, care nurture and maintenance!

These things happen - in one ear and out the other is my motto and just let them bump their gums.

This said from one who lives in a street with a pub at the end of that street where facts are never allowed to get in the way of a good rant!

BTW... I do run mech mods with tanks, but I do check the ohms of any coils in them, before I use them, in case theya ain't what they are supposed to be!

chellie

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 24, 2014
    USA
    Hey all - with all this talk about the non-existent "mech" tanks, I checked my stash and I have a never used hybrid type tank in my stash. It is an iJoy limitless. Never used it because, at the time, it looked too complicated for me. I know there were a bunch of them. This is the one in the red package. Classic maybe?

So, since I am curious I opened it and it is not that complicated. I only have the postless deck but I know I can buy other decks. It also came with a premade triple coil that I believe can be rewicked but not recoiled. Anyhow, I saw the floating pin and, as long as it is adjusted to a good length, I believe it's safe on a regulated mod.

The tank looks to be 25mm and although I have other 25mm tanks this did not look nice on any of my setups. Then I remembered that I purchased a Target 75VTC box on sale and it is purple like the tank so I tried it together.

And I added a 510 adapter

Not bad ----not that fond of the triple coil and will see if there is a single coil IMC deck or I will just try a dual coil on the postless.

Look how cute it looks together. It is very slim. I have small/medium hands and can close my hand around it. I will not really be using it and will put it back away but I thought it looks really cute. IMG_2501.JPG IMG_2502.JPG IMG_2508.JPG

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread