What is RY4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Curry

ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2011
Panama City, FL
I have seen quite a few mentions of RY4, and a few descriptions of what it tastes like. What it sounds like to me is the pipe tobacco "Captain Black - Royal", which is actually just Lane Ltd.'s bulk mixture "1-Q" in a pouch. It has been the all-time leading seller among pipe tobacs for decades now. You can get it anywhere, and it's sold under a bajillion different names.

1-Q is a toasted Cavendish, flavored with vanilla, chocolate, and a bit of caramel. Hardly any true tobacco flavor at all. So is that what this RY4 stuff is?

Also - I understand that not all RY4's are the same? If true - where does one get 'the good stuff'?

Secti0n31

ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
ry4 is very tough to describe. It does have some similarities to very sweet (but cheap) pipe tobaccos like the ones used in black and milds. Most ry4's are very vanilla heavy with a touch of caramel and a good portion of the vaping versions of tobacco. I haven't tried them but from what I've read: If you order the ry4 from a specialty mixer like pinkspot, Bwb, FSUSA etc, it will be a little sweeter and the vanilla and caramel will be more pronounced. I tried the Dekang version, and while it's one of the best "cheap" juices I've ever had, it's definitely got a Throat hit that will kick your ... (rivals Desert ship), and it's heavier on the tobacco side of the flavor.
That said, It's really tough to describe accurately in words. If someone asked me in person to describe ry4 all I could do to reply would be to have them try it.

Zombitedesade

ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2011
Plymouth, uk
RY4 isn't a easy liquid to simply say: "it's this one flavour". It is generally conceded that RY4 should contain at least 3 base elements to be a 'true RY4'. Those are: Tobacco, caramel and vanilla.

You are right in that not all RY4's are equal and some will taste quite heavily of one of the above base elements over another. Some mixes will contain other, slightly non distinct flavours as well.

There are many, many variations of Ry4 as it's probably the single most popular all day vape flavour in the ecig world. That the original recipe is considered lost (or was even stolen according to the rumour) has lead to a huge amount of copy cats and attempts to replicate a juice which no one really knows the original recipe for!*

Some are overly sweet and are referred to as dessert like RY4's. Some freshly batched, non Chinese mixes are likely to be more custom again and can be stronger in their tobacco mix. Your first port of call should probably be the awesome "really big RY4 round up thread" on these very boards under eliquids reviews. There bill has meticulously listed some of the best Ry4's around. You can also find out some of the fascinating story about the lost original mix and *the more recent discovery that it may in fact not be lost at all and instead could be Janty RY4. Either way, it's a great read and should help you find an Ry4 right for you.

liquidsound

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2011
In Da South
I have seen quite a few mentions of RY4, and a few descriptions of what it tastes like. What it sounds like to me is the pipe tobacco "Captain Black - Royal", which is actually just Lane Ltd.'s bulk mixture "1-Q" in a pouch. It has been the all-time leading seller among pipe tobacs for decades now. You can get it anywhere, and it's sold under a bajillion different names.

1-Q is a toasted Cavendish, flavored with vanilla, chocolate, and a bit of caramel. Hardly any true tobacco flavor at all. So is that what this RY4 stuff is?

Also - I understand that not all RY4's are the same? If true - where does one get 'the good stuff'?

I have tried a few and I know many love it. I have a bottle and am letting it steep for a tad. I cannot seem to enjoy it. To me, IMO and I hope it changes...but I tastes like someone put a pipe and a pipe full of tobacco in a blender and with the same flavors mentioned from both ou and SectiOn31 and made a juice out of it. LOL Just my opinion. You'll notice everyone has different tastes, so don't kill me on my taste/opinion of this stuff. (I got mine from an always sold out vendor...so I know it's the good stuff) Just hoping the flavor will change so I can enjoy the rave as some keep telling me. I do like the tob taste on a few juices. Crossing my fingers cause I can't be the only one that didn't enjoy it at first from what I read...:)

Michael Curry

ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2011
Panama City, FL
LOL Just my opinion. You'll notice everyone has different tastes, so don't kill me on my taste/opinion of this stuff.

haha - No worries there! When it comes to taste reviews, I tend to be rather 'opinionated' myself. Your description gave me a lot better idea what you really think of it than a simple "I didn't like it". :D

base234

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2011
Over the edge...
All of the RY4s I've tried are very strong and very sweet. My favorite RY4 type flavor is Sweet Caroline from iVape. Not overpowering as most tobacco/vanilla/caramel flavors are to me. If I could find one like it in 100% VG, I'd order a bunch of it. Anyone know of one?

Edit: Sorry, not trying to hijack your thread, just couldn't resist asking.:D

Last edited:

Higbe33

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
If you are interested in RY4, check out this thread. It took me two days and I read every page. A great read, some surprising history uncovered and impressive time and energy put into it. It rates 36 different RY4's and puts them in categories and in order of his likes. I ordered some QuickNic RY4 after reading a few pages and it's fantastic. Check it out here;

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/e-liquids/193327-really-big-ry4-roundup-long.html

Hig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread