What is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

J.R. Bob Dobbs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2012
near buffalo, NY
My girlfriend has become interested in vaping, she said she had this laying around but it stopped working. I'm going to clean up the battery contacts later but i'd like to find her some batteries. This thing looks like it takes AA's but i know there are quality IMR's that come in this size as well.

Though if this is just a hunk of crap i may buy her something decent, she really likes this box mod.

IMG_20130616_215434_264_zps26e32c3a.jpg

IMG_20130616_215441_630_zps0ee0ef24.jpg

JimzDogz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 1, 2013
Pensacola, Florida, USA
Looks like a Mad Vapes box mod. You can use regular protected li-ion batteries in that; it looks to be a 'buck' regulated vv mod; meaning that it requires two batteries (in series) and 'bucks' the voltage down, instead of boosting a single battery voltage up.

Box Mods - Advanced E-Cigs
I don't think that's a VV mod, but I could be wrong.

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
My girlfriend has become interested in vaping, she said she had this laying around but it stopped working. I'm going to clean up the battery contacts later but i'd like to find her some batteries. This thing looks like it takes AA's but i know there are quality IMR's that come in this size as well.

Though if this is just a hunk of crap i may buy her something decent, she really likes this box mod.

It looks like a Puck mod, but they take more batteries I think. Or as Tom said, a Mad Vapes box mod. The second pic here looks like it:
http://www.madvapes.com/5-volt-auto-box-mod.html

Last edited:

J.R. Bob Dobbs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2012
near buffalo, NY
nah its not VV. and the battery contact shows rust so i will grind it off later. However if i can get batteries for her she will just need cartos..which i have several extras :) She has had this for a few months it broke and she went back to smoking. The day after i met her i had her vaping. She has my backup twist 900mah and a T3 loaded with some flavors by joe papa smurf and i gave her another T3 with some unicorn blood rom fuzion. She is happy as can be. Though a dual user at the moment.

J.R. Bob Dobbs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2012
near buffalo, NY
ok so i ground off the rust from all the contacts gave it a bit of an alcohol bath and popped in some energizer AA's they are they 2500mah rechargeables so they should be good on power. I hooked it up to the multimeter and i saw like 3.0v with some fluctuation from 2.8 to 3.3. I hooked upo a carto i had(later found out was a 3 ohm) and i get no vape off the box. Its almost as if the box wont fire the carto. because even 3.ov with 3 ohm i should get something, even if tiny barely a vape.

any ideas what may cause this mod to not fire a carto? I've pulled the pin up a bit no dice.

HughDaHand

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2012
Swartz Creek, MI
I put on a T3 and it is firing properly, though very little vapor. im guessing its not a 5v box , or something may be broken

With 2 AA battery's and the voltage drop under load I am not surprised that you are getting very little vapor production. When I made a box mod to use in an emergency with my t3's with 3 of those same battery's vapor production was low and 4 of them was just a little to much voltage for my t3. With 4x aa I was getting close to 6v unloaded and about 4.5v under a 2.2ohm load.

D. Waterhouse

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2009
central WI USA

What is this? That is a 5v BoxMod, The Provari of it's day, the best thing out there at the time! And remember this was only 3 to 4 years ago, things have come a long way since.

TomCatt

Da Catt
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Upland, PA
ok so i ground off the rust from all the contacts gave it a bit of an alcohol bath and popped in some energizer AA's they are they 2500mah rechargeables so they should be good on power. I hooked it up to the multimeter and i saw like 3.0v with some fluctuation from 2.8 to 3.3. I hooked upo a carto i had(later found out was a 3 ohm) and i get no vape off the box. Its almost as if the box wont fire the carto. because even 3.ov with 3 ohm i should get something, even if tiny barely a vape.

any ideas what may cause this mod to not fire a carto? I've pulled the pin up a bit no dice.

You need 2 LI-ION batteries - 14500s. The electronics in the box will take the 8.4V (4.2+4.2) and reduce it to 5V. NiMH batteries only put out ~1.4V each, fully charged.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread