What I've learned about Kanger coil building and care from personal experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

jstjoehere

Jun 1, 2014
Wv, usa
Basically Im posting this for newer members or members just starting to build and care for their kangertech coils.

Building these coils is very easy basic tools that you need a 1/16 drill bit or something of the same size to wrap your coils on, a small torch, tweezers, ohm meter, and a small pair of fingernail clippers.

Supplies you will need are Kanthol wire ( I use 30 awg ) And organic cotton or some type of wick, what ever you prefer.

This will give you everything you need to build these coils. To learn how I recommend watching Riptrippers on you tube. Some like him some don't but his methods are really good. I have yet to build a bad coil.

A really easy way to keep your spare un built coils clean and ready is a small pill bottle from the pharmacy put a little alcohol in it and when you take them apart just drop them in and close it up that way you always have them ready for a build or even a re-wick. When you pull them out just swap them off a little with a q tip and your good to go. On coils Ive built and they just get that nasty taste to them I will remove the wick, dry burn the coil, and drop them in as well. No need to wrap a new coil every time. Coils will handle many dry burns and you can re wick them many times. You will know a coil is bad when it gets slow to heat or at times wont heat at all if they break. I have yet to have one burn completely in two like the factory replacements do.

I build my coils to 1.6 ohm and I wick with organic cotton I use the organic cotton beauty pads that women buy to apply make up with they have less knots or knits in them than cotton balls. Some people use cotton for perms its all personal preference. I prefer cotton for taste it seems to give a much better taste than silica wick in my opinion.

Get a small organizer that you can keep your tools and supplies in that way everything is kept neat and together so your not always wondering where you put something or have to go get it lol. When your building go somewhere that you can relax and have plenty of light and enough space so that your not dropping stuff or knocking things over your using. I actually lay my stuff out in the lid of my storage container when Im building.

Hope this is helpful to someone its just the basics. I didnt want to go into detail of builds or anything else. Sometimes to much information can be confusing to people new to vaping. There are many threads here on ECF to help you with builds and care of your own personal vapor device. Happy vaping to everyone.:vapor::)

Bored2Tears

Verified Member
Sep 26, 2014
Western South Dakota
jstjoehere:

Really appreciated this post. I'm a noob......and been frustrated with the stock coils. I've been reading, watching vids, and contemplating rebuilding my Kanger coils for a variety of reasons. It does seem simple enough. Do you add any additional cotton wick material other than the piece through your coil? A "flavor wick" so to speak like the factory ones? Or do you find that just changing over to cotton is a better wicking situation than the stock silica and there's no need to add more material?

I am running 50/50 ior 65/35 juices. I don;t want any thicker than 50/50 and actually prefer 65/35 for flavor. Thanks.

jstjoehere

Jun 1, 2014
Wv, usa
jstjoehere:

Really appreciated this post. I'm a noob......and been frustrated with the stock coils. I've been reading, watching vids, and contemplating rebuilding my Kanger coils for a variety of reasons. It does seem simple enough. Do you add any additional cotton wick material other than the piece through your coil? A "flavor wick" so to speak like the factory ones? Or do you find that just changing over to cotton is a better wicking situation than the stock silica and there's no need to add more material?

I am running 50/50 ior 65/35 juices. I don;t want any thicker than 50/50 and actually prefer 65/35 for flavor. Thanks.

Sorry it took me so long to answer. Now to answer your question yes I do use another piece of cotton for the flavor wick. Usually I will take a piece ( usually left over from trimming) and pull it in half. Basically I try to obtain a size close to the factory flavor wick only its cotton. Always make sure you put some juice on your cotton before you finish putting your coil together to keep it from burning.

My juice is 70/30 on the pg/vg mix but I like a strong throat hit and didnt want to go any higher than 18mg nicotine.

Fstop

ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2014
San Antonio, TX
I want to make my own coils too & have been reading around the forum, checked some YouTube Tuts....First off I'm not comfortable w/ torching anything but ... Ok I'll do it a little, so where do I get a cheapo torch that will do the job of burning clean wicks? I want to have "Flavor Chimneys" w/ 2.1 - 2.2, 2.3 ohm coils without having to weld for now, so what type of wire do I need? Thirdly, how is Ekowool for wicking? Is hollow Ekowool a good thing? Is Ekowool silica? Does it affect flavor? Heard cotton has to be changed often? Maybe when I feel more proficient build coils. Finally but not least what is the least I should pay for this stuff & what is the most I should pay? - I'm watching the "Salvaging my attys.." thread too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread