What should I know before using an unprotected battery in my SB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mezzio

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Unfortunately one of my batteries quit working last night. I have several unprotected 18650's that I ripped out of a laptop battery that unfortunately are going to have to suffice until I have some money to buy more.

I know the difference between the 2, I know the risks that unprotected batteries, but what should I look for before using such a battery?

Mattnatti

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
I am sure you know this already but it clearly states DO NOT USE UNPROTECTED BATTERIES on AltSmoke.com
I would use another device if at all possible. If not, beg borrow or steal a protected battery.
If you must use the unprotected I would at least protect yourself with some safety glasses.

Edit: don't hurt that Silver Bullet, it doesn't know any better but you do. :2c:

Last edited:

BardicDruid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2009
Central Texas
Definitely stay above 2 ohms, that will keep the current drain low and you shouldn't have any problems. If you notice it getting hot, get the carto, clearo or whatever unscrewed fast, then dump the batt in the sink or a metal bucket. When I started getting into mods, you couldn't always get protected batts or the circuit didn't work, but the only time I had any problems was with counterfeit batts from DealExtreme.

halopunker

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2008
New Philadelphia, OH
The difference is that your laptop typically has protection built in to stop it from causing an unpleasant experience. Protected batteries do have a PCB on them that prevent a battery from being discharged too quickly in the case of a short in the atomizer or something else going wrong.

Using batteries that are taken from a laptop...eh I wouldn't suggest at all. Do you have a back up device such as an eGo/eGo Twist/Spinner to get you through until a new battery comes? =X

WarHawk-AVG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
H-Town
Don't put one in your pocket without it being inside a short proof case!

You CAN use unprotected batteries in a mechanical mod...but you have to use "normal" resistance coils...none of the sub ohmers unless you absolutely KNOW the battery by design can handle the high current draw.

All the protection circuit does is protect from external forces that can cause problems...if it can't handle pushing alot of current it could cause it to go into thermal runaway INSIDE the battery and once that happens no "protection circuit" will keep it from going 'splody 'splody

DO NOT drain the battery below 3.0vdc or it MIGHT NOT charge again without developing dangerous internal conditions!

Here are a few links that should help
Charging Lithium-Ion Batteries
How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University
Battery Discharge Methods
Battery Safeguards; Protection Circuits
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ecf-library/129569-rechargeable-batteries.html <- ECF's very own HUGE knowledge base of batteries

A mechanical mod is a mechanical mod...all it is is a battery and a mechanically open/close push button that leads to the coil...YOU are the protection circuit

FYI
The Silver Bullet Kick Sleeve is to allow enough room for the Kick to allow the Silver Bullet to take 18650 IMR Batteries. Do not use with any other batteries.
You can find the 18650 IMR Battery here.
IMR batteries ARE the unprotected batteries by design ;)

Last edited:

mezzio

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Unfortunately I don't have another device. I do have some batteries and atomizers from a 510 I bought a while before I got the SB, but no charger for it, lol.

The way it looks now I won't have to use the unprotected batteries since I am able to get all day usage out of the one battery I have left, for now, hopefully it doesn't take a dump before Wed when I can order a couple more.

Im aware its not recommended, I just wanted to see what I could do to reduce the risk of using one if it came to that.

Thank you for the replies, its good information, hopefully I won't have to use it (but with my luck lately, who knows).

Sent from my Google powered personal data extraction device

mezzio

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Well so far i haven't had to use them, lol. I charges them, drained them, then charged again, they're holding strong at 4.2v.

If I do end up using these, ill consider them disposable, use them til the flavor sucks, and toss it. But chances are my new batteries will be here before it gets to that point.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I am fully aware that I'm hitting this thread way late. But this points out an important subject.

:rules: Vapor's Rule Numero Uno "Backups for your backups!" Never depend upon one PV or only have one battery. Don't put yourself in a situation like the OP. Keep an inexpensive eGo for such an emergency. Don't resort to using inappropriate batteries. If worse comes to worse, run to the gas station or convenience market and grab a couple of disposable e-cigs until you can get more batteries.

mezzio

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I actually ended up going to a battery shop locally to me and they had some protected 18650's, so I just tossed the laptop batteries... unfortunately the batteries are junk, and they're all dead already. I already had to go back and exchange one of them that was DoA, guess ill take them all back and tell them I wasn't even able to get 3 charges out of them.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread