What should I upgrade first?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xVape

Oct 19, 2015
Hey guys, I've been vaping for about a week but I'm already looking to upgrade my existing equipment quick.

I currently have an eVod tank with a HS Vapour MX battery (650mah). I think if not this weekend then next weekend I'll go to my local headshop and see what they have in stock. I've heard great things about the GS E leaf tank and the Vision Spinner 2 but parts aside what should I upgrade first? The battery or tank? Thanks in advance :thumbs:

Edit - I'm from the UK, that might affect the variety of parts I can get, perhaps not.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Don't get a spinner.
Old tech, unreliable, weak and expensive for what you get.
My last spinner was £20. For that you can get a 40w temp istick from China. 30w isticks are worth the money in the UK. Eleaf GS tanks are rare here. The best ones are not generally on sale. You can get them on kits from totally wicked (curve) but you pay well over the odds. I would never order online from TW anyway. Who do they think they are charging shop prices online.

Reactions: xVape

pfaber11

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 16, 2009
england
I would recommend a defender 36 watt for 35 quid and an Arctic sub ohm tank for 20 quid. It's an amazing setup. Big clouds and plenty of flavour. The coil heads are available in 0.5 ohm and they do one at 1.2 ohm also 0.2 ohm but you won't be able to fire that one as it only goes down to 0.3 ohm but that doesn't matter too much . Anyway vape on.

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
I'm gonna go the other way and say to upgrade your tank, first. If you're not satisfied with the vape you're getting right now, you won't notice much difference with the iStick if you're still using that same EVOD tank. You'll be able to turn the power up a little higher, but that's it, and the tank might not be able to handle that extra power very well, anyway. What is it you're looking to achieve, by upgrading? Mind, vapor comes from the tank, not the device that's powering it. If you really want to "upgrade" your experience, you'll probably want a new tank first, regardless. Then, however, the trouble is, that in order to power a better tank, you're going to need a new device, also. The Nautilus Mini will work, technically, on your eGo-style battery, but it would work better with a higher-powered device like the iStick.

...is your battery VV already? My google-fu suggests that it might be. Is the bottom end-cap like a knob that you can twist back and forth to turn the voltage up and down? If yes, then you've basically got a Vision Spinner, already. "Vision" is the brand name, and "Spinner" is the model, but all told it's just the same as any other variable-voltage eGo-style battery like the EVOD VV battery from Kanger or the eGo Twist from Joyetech. In fact, the one you have right now might well be a re-branded eGo Twist from the same factory, just with a different logo on it. Or it might not, you never know. But for just a few dollars more (or pounds, whatever) you can get the iStick which will have even more battery life, in a smaller form-factor, and you'll be able to turn the power up higher (and have more control over fine-tuning the power exactly to your liking) than on any spinner type eGo-style battery. But if it's really down to one or the other, I suggest you get a better tank, first, and hold off on upgrading the device until later. If you do the other way around, you might be disappointed when your EVOD tank gives basically the same experience as you're getting already.

EDIT: After a little more googling, I see that it's not a "twist" or "spinner" style VV battery, but you do have three different voltage settings available by clicking the button three times to cycle through them. I still don't think you'll get much improvement by switching to a spinner. My advice hasn't changed: get a new tank first, the Nautilus Mini is a decent option, and if/when you decide to upgrade the device also, the iStick 30 is also a good choice. Don't waste your time and money getting a spinner, as it really won't be much of an upgrade. You'll be looking for the next best thing soon enough, anyway, might as well have something decent like the iStick in the meantime.

Last edited:

xVape

Oct 19, 2015
I'm gonna go the other way and say to upgrade your tank, first. If you're not satisfied with the vape you're getting right now, you won't notice much difference with the iStick if you're still using that same EVOD tank. You'll be able to turn the power up a little higher, but that's it, and the tank might not be able to handle that extra power very well, anyway. What is it you're looking to achieve, by upgrading? Mind, vapor comes from the tank, not the device that's powering it. If you really want to "upgrade" your experience, you'll probably want a new tank first, regardless. Then, however, the trouble is, that in order to power a better tank, you're going to need a new device, also. The Nautilus Mini will work, technically, on your eGo-style battery, but it would work better with a higher-powered device like the iStick.

...is your battery VV already? My google-fu suggests that it might be. Is the bottom end-cap like a knob that you can twist back and forth to turn the voltage up and down? If yes, then you've basically got a Vision Spinner, already. "Vision" is the brand name, and "Spinner" is the model, but all told it's just the same as any other variable-voltage eGo-style battery like the EVOD VV battery from Kanger or the eGo Twist from Joyetech. In fact, the one you have right now might well be a re-branded eGo Twist from the same factory, just with a different logo on it. Or it might not, you never know. But for just a few dollars more (or pounds, whatever) you can get the iStick which will have even more battery life, in a smaller form-factor, and you'll be able to turn the power up higher (and have more control over fine-tuning the power exactly to your liking) than on any spinner type eGo-style battery. But if it's really down to one or the other, I suggest you get a better tank, first, and hold off on upgrading the device until later. If you do the other way around, you might be disappointed when your EVOD tank gives basically the same experience as you're getting already.

EDIT: After a little more googling, I see that it's not a "twist" or "spinner" style VV battery, but you do have three different voltage settings available by clicking the button three times to cycle through them. I still don't think you'll get much improvement by switching to a spinner. My advice hasn't changed: get a new tank first, the Nautilus Mini is a decent option, and if/when you decide to upgrade the device also, the iStick 30 is also a good choice. Don't waste your time and money getting a spinner, as it really won't be much of an upgrade. You'll be looking for the next best thing soon enough, anyway, might as well have something decent like the iStick in the meantime.

Hey BWH, it's really great to see such an in depth reply, so firstly thanks for that. And yeah, my battery has a flat base and really didn't expect to learn new stuff about this battery, I really had no idea I could change the voltage output! Awesome. In response to what I want to achieve; I'm really flavour hunting, maybe even a bigger cloud perhaps but preferably just a good rich flavour. If that's the case I'll probably look to upgrade my tank. However I will also upgrade my battery soon after my tank upgrade to get a 'fuller' experience from my vape. Now to fill up with some Tutti Fruitti to vape, getting a bit tired of watermelon. Thanks for all the replies, especially DWH79 for such an indepth answer ;)

Reactions: bwh79

xVape

Oct 19, 2015

I should have really just pressed edit on my original response but I think I'll order a Nautilus Mini, from what I can tell it is a genuine product (on Amazon) almost 5* and 300+ reviews! £20 seems affordable, I'll just wait for this cheque to cash and then I think I'll order one. Good stuff.

Reactions: bwh79

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Hmm. The bad news - A mini nautilus will barely work on your battery. The good news is it's a great tank. £20 is pricey, but guessing you'll get free P&P.
Aspire are a company that protect prices so even China direct won't be much cheaper. Just watch for the coils. A local shop to me charges £3 per coil (£15 for 5). I buy 20 at a time, I think they are £6 for a 5 pack.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I've heard great things about the GS E leaf tank and the Vision Spinner 2 but parts aside what should I upgrade first? The battery or tank? Thanks in advance :thumbs:

Both! :D

I love my Eleaf GS Airs (I own and use all 4 all them--the original Air, the M, the MS and the GS Tank). I prefer the dual coils--they are very user friendly, last a long time and can be rebuilt. Vision Spinner is an old style eGo-class battery and not a perfect match for the Airs (Spinner is eGo threaded and only 15 mm diameter, the skinniest Air tank is 16.5 mm and 510 threaded). Waste of money, IMHO.

I suggest getting one of those lovely itty bitty box mods that will be great with the Airs--iStick 30, Heatvape Defender 36 or Innokin Cool Fire 4...

Good luck!

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
One last thing, would an iStick mini 20w be okay? I don't really want to shell out £50+ on a 50W

Don't get the iStick 20--they are very inaccurate at all voltages under 5.5 v. To put it bluntly, they run one whole volt higher than the display indicates. Don't ask--long story. You don't want one.

You don't want the 50 either--lots of problems, auto fires, misc. meltdowns... :facepalm:

Get the iStick 30. And you shouldn't pay more than US$30 or so for it. You can usually find very good deals online.

Last edited:

xVape

Oct 19, 2015
Ahem. Eleaf tanks can be had for 10 bucks apiece and are better--IMHO. Why pay 30 bucks for a Nautilus, especially if you're on a budget?

Hmm, well, I've heard great things about both. Since I'd likely be ordering from Amazon the difference is minimal. What you get cheap in the US or even Canada just doesn't seem to convert properly, for example a 10 dollar GS Air should be £6 or so but in actuality it's £14.99 :/ the Nautilus is only £18 so £3 more isn't really breaking the bank. It just comes down to a matter of performance for each. If you could point reasons why the GS Air is better then you never know, I might end up spending £45 and get the 30w istick with the GS Air but I'm still unsure as to what tank. I've heard great things about both the GS Air and the Nautilus, it might just come down to personal preference in the end. Thanks for the knowledge bomb on the isticks though ;)

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Hmm, well, I've heard great things about both. Since I'd likely be ordering from Amazon the difference is minimal. What you get cheap in the US or even Canada just doesn't seem to convert properly, for example a 10 dollar GS Air should be £6 or so but in actuality it's £14.99 :/ the Nautilus is only £18 so £3 more isn't really breaking the bank. It just comes down to a matter of performance for each. If you could point reasons why the GS Air is better then you never know, I might end up spending £45 and get the 30w istick with the GS Air but I'm still unsure as to what tank. I've heard great things about both the GS Air and the Nautilus, it might just come down to personal preference in the end. Thanks for the knowledge bomb on the isticks though ;)

There is no doubt in my mind that the iStick 30 is the one you should get. I have the 20 (and the 30) and I've learned how to use it, but it's a pain. But, of course, you can get one--just remember that is fires 1 full volt higher than it says it does and adjust your settings accordingly.

With regard to the Nautilus vs GS Air, of course it's a matter of opinion/taste/personal preference. I prefer my Airs, but there are people who love the Nautis, so if price is not an issue, get the one you think you'll like better. They all work.

Good luck!

BTW, is there a reason you're ordering from Amazon? There are better choices--and cheaper, methinks. But I may be wrong--never ordered any vaping supplies from Amazon.

xVape

Oct 19, 2015
Oh and completely off the original topic, I'm thinking about getting a fuel+ charger for my phone, however it has multiple ports, a 1A and 2.5A USB connection which I could plug my battery in to. However I've heard some dodgy things about doing this from some people but that's typically with low quality I phone chargers. Would it be safe? It would be absolutely excellent if it is, with an iStick I'm sure I'd be vaping on the go without fail due to its large battery capacity and then the capability to top it up if necessary.

xVape

Oct 19, 2015
There is no doubt in my mind that the iStick 30 is the one you should get. I have the 20 (and the 30) and I've learned how to use it, but it's a pain. But, of course, you can get one--just remember that is fires 1 full volt higher than it says it does and adjust your settings accordingly.

With regard to the Nautilus vs GS Air, of course it's a matter of opinion/taste/personal preference. I prefer my Airs, but there are people who love the Nautis, so if price is not an issue, get the one you think you'll like better. They all work.

Good luck!

BTW, is there a reason you're ordering from Amazon? There are better choices--and cheaper, methinks. But I may be wrong--never ordered any vaping supplies from Amazon.

Hmm, there isn't a massive reason I'm ordering from Amazon and I'm up for shopping around but the main few is I am an Amazon prime member so I can get the products delivered within a day or two which is great and secondly the layout is excellent so I can easily find a genuine product. But then again I might find one cheaper elsewhere and providing its genuine then why not! Thanks for all the help Katya :)

Reactions: Katya
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread