What size coils do I get? Danger factor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RTHatchet

Jan 18, 2020
i have a cloud beast TFV8 (NOT a king, NOT a baby, NOT a junior)
I bought the RBA-12 (or maybe it was RBA-16) deck because the default rba deck ALWAYS leaked
This one never has
I’ve had the same Clapton’s in there for 5 years (fused alien Clapton I think?)
Normally I just wait until the wick is brown, dry burn it and get it extremely hot, then run it under water and QTip off the residue and water. I heat it up again and drip a drop of juice on it, and wick it with this Japanese all natural non bleached cotton I found. I was wanting to find new coils but don’t know the gauge of wire I need, i was also wondering how unsafe it was to keep cleaning it and using how i have been for 5 years.. read some stuff about metal residue? The coils were of course silver when I got them, they aren’t orange or white or crusty.. but have an old tint to it
Thanks for any advice, tips, and advising what gauge wire I should get.. looked up alien fused Clapton on amazon but i only find one size. It’s the same ohm as the default coils that came with the head, but again, idk gauge.. I’m looking for something similar, or the exact same as the premade coils that came with the head.. I CAN use nickel, although I know nothing about it so I wouldn’t know Temperature to run it at (I have a sigelei fuchai 200W TC mod)
pre made Resistance Alien Wire Coils for Craft Hobby Use-10pcs
^thats the Amazon listing

Reactions: stols001

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
There may be people here - I am not one of them - who could look at a picture of your old coils and offer a guess at what they are. But it would be helpful if you could offer any clues. Where did they come from, what are they made of, what’s the ID, how many wraps, what ohms do they read?

• Agree

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Well the only "danger" factor with coils is if you get some so low resistance you overwhelm the capacity of your mods, or more accurately your batteries.

Also, that you are not vaping a TC coil (titanium and nickel) in non TC mode and the overhead or possibly melt.

You want to stick to the kanthals, the nichrome and the stainless steel coils I believe. If you look at your mod, it should tell you the resistance of your current coil (if it is genuinely 5 years old, well, it may be a bit different than it was in the beginning.

I have not bought premade coils from Amazon, I will just say that. I buy any premade coils from a reputable vape shop, I suppose it's nota guarantee of anything, but I think it's better than Amazon.

Anna

• Agree
Reactions: Coyote628

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
I’m looking for something similar,
Welcome and glad you joined.
You have posted in the new members forum, you are limited to the number of post in this forum.
re: New Members - "How many posts do I need to..."
In the future, you might want to post in the ECF forum most closely representing your subject/question. Suggest posting in :coil builds forum and chat:
Coil Builds
Often times,you may receive more knowledgeable/germane/extensive information from the membership in the above/appropriate forum.

RTHatchet

Jan 18, 2020
You got 5 years out of a set of coils??? In a Smok device no less? That's a first.
That’s why I’m worried if I’m vaping rust or metal particles at this point, legit they’re 5 years old. I take good care of them, and Rewick my device every 1-2 weeks
I put 3-5 tanks down a day with 6mg juice
Sadly I can’t say the same for my batteries :( they’re on their last stand, won’t power my sigelei and die in 30m on my wismec

RTHatchet

Jan 18, 2020
Well the only "danger" factor with coils is if you get some so low resistance you overwhelm the capacity of your mods, or more accurately your batteries.

Also, that you are not vaping a TC coil (titanium and nickel) in non TC mode and the overhead or possibly melt.

You want to stick to the kanthals, the nichrome and the stainless steel coils I believe. If you look at your mod, it should tell you the resistance of your current coil (if it is genuinely 5 years old, well, it may be a bit different than it was in the beginning.

I have not bought premade coils from Amazon, I will just say that. I buy any premade coils from a reputable vape shop, I suppose it's nota guarantee of anything, but I think it's better than Amazon.

Anna
When I got them, they were .16
Now they range from .14-.18 depending on if I have to adjust the coil because I pulled the cotton out too hard
When I got my tank I bought it from like eBay, it had an authentication code on it and everything, but wasn’t authentic lol
I don’t remember if the RBA-16 deck I bought was authentic, but it’s lasted 5 years and I’ve kept the default coil in since
The first 2 pics are specs of the coil, the amazon post is what I think I could use
And by danger factor I was referring to the studies that sometimes people vape metal particles of their juice sits too long.. I clean my coils pretty good, but they’re not shiny silver anymore lol.. age has taken its toll
I’ll reply again once my tank is empty and show y’all the infamous coil

Attachments

• B001D244-FBE5-4666-B708-F8311F8539F1.png
    B001D244-FBE5-4666-B708-F8311F8539F1.png
    116 KB · Views: 24
  • C3A4C813-5B53-4D45-ABE9-94D77E569470.png
    C3A4C813-5B53-4D45-ABE9-94D77E569470.png
    177.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 54EAF36D-35CE-4D5F-AA97-AA7143B942D6.jpeg
    54EAF36D-35CE-4D5F-AA97-AA7143B942D6.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 27
  • 7B31D451-44BC-43C8-81F5-4D287510593D.png
    7B31D451-44BC-43C8-81F5-4D287510593D.png
    385.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 36201A81-62F4-457F-89F2-B93E2090545D.png
    36201A81-62F4-457F-89F2-B93E2090545D.png
    249.1 KB · Views: 27

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
Fancy coils are cool but you might also consider another option... plain rectangular wire. Someone convinced me to try this (I think it's Ni80) You can easily wind your own (very easy if you make them spaced) I see your deck take two coils... is that how you are using it? It won't as low ohms but might surprise you. The only reason I haven't got any yet is I don't have anything I can use it in. When I do, it's the first wire I'm going to try.

RTHatchet

Jan 18, 2020
Fancy coils are cool but you might also consider another option... plain rectangular wire. Someone convinced me to try this (I think it's Ni80) You can easily wind your own (very easy if you make them spaced) I see your deck take two coils... is that how you are using it? It won't as low ohms but might surprise you. The only reason I haven't got any yet is I don't have anything I can use it in. When I do, it's the first wire I'm going to try.
I’ll look into that!
I use to take 30gauge kanthal and take a ft or 2 and fold it in half
Put an Allen wrench in a drill and hook the wire onto the fold, grab the other end with needle nose, tight but don’t pull.. and twist the coil with a drill
We even twisted it twice one time just messing around, I don’t remember if it worked though xD

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
The TFV8 will be limited in the size of the coil(s) it is able to take. Do not know what that limit is, never owned one, but willing to bet those Aliens you posted are too large. Not too mention, they are high in mass which will require an significant amount of power. Not suited for that atty. I would use 24 or 26awg simple wire.

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
I use these coils for my dual coil RDA (and even one of my RTAs) They are simple claptons, 3mm ID and about 0.9 ohms (0.45 for a pair) They are spaced so no issues with hot spots. I looked at your build deck... good ol "velocity" style... easy to build (make sure one coil lead goes in top hole, the other in bottom hole... opposite for other coil) The coils are only $2 for 6-pack but take awhile to ship (8-10 days) That rectangular wire will also work good (around 5 wraps) Even some 24 ga round wire would be fine (might try SS or Ni80)

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
I'm sorry but I find it incredible that 1) you've used the same coils that long and 2) you haven't taken the time in all those years to buy a better rta and learn how to make your own coils and 3) you come here asking if it's safe to vape on the same coils for 5 yrs. Nobody I know does that.

RTHatchet

Jan 18, 2020
I'm sorry but I find it incredible that 1) you've used the same coils that long and 2) you haven't taken the time in all those years to buy a better rta and learn how to make your own coils and 3) you come here asking if it's safe to vape on the same coils for 5 yrs. Nobody I know does that.
I can build my own and twist my own, just not Clapton
Yeah the coils old.. that’s why I came to here looking to get new ones
Eh if it’s not broken don’t fix it, I’ve never seen a bigger cloud than what my rba-16 deck chucks on 200 watts so I’m very content with the flavor and vapor production of my good old trusty

RTHatchet

Jan 18, 2020
Hey, I'm really confused now... the image you showed is a different build deck. Do both coils mount with the same screws? Please tell me about the RBA.
Yeah it’s not the standard rba head for the vape, it’s their upgraded one
Also don’t know how that meme or guinea pig photo got posted here.. this website is trippin on my iPhone 5 lol
Idk it’s some sort of clamp that clamps the coil
I bought the head when it first released and haven’t changed the coils once still have the default ones in there
Never dissembled messed with it since it worked perfect from the purchase.. tomorrow (today I guess) I’ll unscrew it and check it out

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
May I respectfully suggest you submit yourself to a metallurgy study on nasties coming off coils? You are literally the ONLY vaper I have met who has vaped exclusively on a 5 year old coil that you don't even know what it IS.

Well actually given the current climate, maybe not. IDK though, you should really have a metallurgist look at that coil and tell you ALL about it,.

Most vapers using RTA type coils change them every few months if not sooner. So, IDK.. Just know this is the "standard practice" and you are far exceeding it, and well, I honestly don't always know the whys and wherefores of standard practices but I try to stray not too far afield of them.

Right now, you are kind of in Alaska. No offense. Sounds like you took great care of your coil and I salute your visionary longevity but it PROBABLY is not doing you many favors, honestly.

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread