What to voltage to charge batteries at?

Status
Not open for further replies.

coilburner

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2015
Theres not a charger I know of that lets you select volts to charge at. From my knowledge that wouldn't even be an option. voltage is one measurement of how charged your batteries are. When it says to never charge above 4.29 volts I would bet my life that refers to a charge level unless theres some new technology that I don't know about. the only charge options Im aware of are mA and battery type. Which trust fire charger are you using?

Reactions: curiousJan

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
A have 2 Aspire 2500mah batteries a Trust Fire charger, I was charging at 3.2 volts but it would charge only half over night, and I think I should charge it at 4.2 volts instead, it says to never charge above 4.29 volts, but I thought it was weird the charger got warm, is that normal?

Some chargers have a manual battery voltage selector switch located on the side of the charger. If you are trying to charge a 3.7v battery and have the charger set to 3.2V, your battery will never fully charge. You should use the 4.2v setting for you battery; hopefully your charger will stop charging when your battery reaches 4.2v. And yes, you should never overcharge your battery--and never, ever charge overnight or unattended.

Having said that, I suggest you get a better charger soon--Nitecore or Xtar are very good, inexpensive and reliable. Try Amazon or Fasttech.

In the future, avoid anything (chargers or batteries) with the word "fire" in their name. I'm actually not joking. :)

Good luck.

Tol

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2011
NY
Thanks, i think is does just mean what type of battery, it is charging full now. Am I able to charge overnight? Or is that dangerous? How long does q charge take so I don't overcharge?

As a general rule you do not want to be in a habit of charging overnight while you sleep, on the rare chance something might actually happen (like a bad battery or something). Better to be safe than sorry.

How fast your batteries will charge will depend on how fast the charger does it. I use a Nitecore D2 charger and it takes 3-4 hours usually to charge to full. I just put them on charge when I get home from work, take them off before bed and they are ready to go for the next day.

Review of Charger Trustfire TR-006

Like this one? The 3.2 setting is for IFR (LiFePO4) batteries. You might stumble across one of these occasionally, but we don't use them for vaping in modern devices.

The review notes that the markings really aren't very accurate.

It won't hurt your IMR or INR batteries in the slightest to be charged at the 3.2 setting, but as you noticed they don't charge anywhere near full. Use the 4.2 volt setting for that, which is the technically correct one for IMR/INR batteries (and ICR but we don't recommend those for vaping any longer either as they're low draw and unstable under some conditions).

Reactions: Tol
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread