What VG to buy at brick and mortar store ie: CVS, WalMart, Wallgreens and so on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RonJS

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2014
SW Chicagoland, IL

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I have made the jump to Sub Ohm's now all that +8 mg of nic ejuice I have is to strong. What is a trusted brand of VG I can pick up. I am going to use it to cut my juice with. Flavor is not important, less nic with a reputable brand of VG is.

There is so much talk on the subject I'm confused.

Thanks!

I've used the CVS Brand VG before Many Times. It is Thick and has a Nice Sweet Taste.

CRK

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 12, 2010
Apex, NC
If you take a peak at the last 4-5 paragraphs of this "sticky" above..

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/for...ease-read.html

...you will get some fine knowledge including...

" In addition, Humco supplies products to Walgreens, CVS, Rite Aid and Wal-Mart. "

Hope this helps.

Yep I have read all the stickies...

The below sticky and the bit about VG is what had my concerned and why I started the thread.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/277267-purity-pg-vg-peg-short-version.html

VG
Glycerine should only be inhaled in pharma grade, which is often synthetic. The use of the term VG to describe the glycerine we use for inhalation is probably obsolete now, and stems from the early days of e-cigarette use when there was little use of Glycerine USP and DIYers had a choice between vegetable-source glycerine and animal-source glycerine [1]. Pharma grade glycerine for inhalation - the only type that should be used - is frequently synthetic [2] and therefore absolutely pure, so its origin is irrelevant.

[1] Glycerine can be made from a multiplicity of sources including animal carcases, biodiesel manufacture byproduct, palm oil, coconut oil, a combination of vegetable sources, or synthetically.
[2] To see more info on pharma grade glycerine, google 'dow optim'.

Note
Glycerine made as a byproduct of biodiesel production should NEVER under any circumstances be used for any human consumption of any kind, and especially not inhaled. It is likely to be carcinogenic because some of the vegetation used for modern biodiesel production is toxic (e.g. the Jatropha plant).

How to exclude this material from the production chain is another matter entirely, and this is a matter for serious concern at present. The only sure way to exclude biodiesel byproduct glycerine is to buy a name brand that is known to be pure (ex: Dow Optim). This can be bought in 18 litre containers and up, so is suitable for e-liquid manufacturers.

CRK

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 12, 2010
Apex, NC
I am thinking of getting this from Walmart:

p10k3.jpg

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Let the cutting and mixing begin:vapor:

I bought a 6oz bottle of the above posted Humco from Wally World for a bit over 4 bucks.

Will report back with results.

Sounds Cool.

Just remember to take Detailed and Accurate Notes on Everything you do. And to let your Mixes Sit for at Least 3 ~ 4 Days before you Add Anything New. Or Tweak a Mix.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
That is true. All Glycerin USP ( U.S. Pharmacopeia ) is made be one company HUMCO and it is made to strict standards. Here is some text i found on ECF:

"I'm a pharmacist in PA. I'm going to copy and paste a post I wrote in another subforum:

Go to the skin care aisle of most any pharmacy and you'll find a small(usually 6oz) bottle labled Glycerine, USP(Some pharmacies don't carry outright , but will special order for you). The label may have it listed as CVS Glycerine, USP or Rite Aid Glycerine, USP or Humco Glycerine, USP or Family Pharmacy Glycerine, USP etc.. you get my point. Whatever it's labeled, it's Glycerine, USP 99.5% anhydrous(meaning 0.5% water). It will cost anywhere from $3 to $6 for 6oz.(CHEAP) This is vegetable glycerine, absolutely, positively, no doubt. How do I know this? I'm a pharmacist. All OTC glycerine,USP is made by 1 single manufacturer, HUMCO. It is then contract packaged into the different pharmacy labeled bottles. I've personally called HUMCO and spoke with their QA(quality assurance) person. He assured me that HUMCO's Glycerine is in fact Vegetable source Glycerine. The reason it's labeled Glycerine and not Vegetable Glycerine is because #1 it is listed in the USP as Glycerine, USP and therefore(in order to keep the USP certification) must be labeled as it's listed in the USP. #2 it would cause confusion as Glycerine is Glycerine(regardless of the source - chemically 1,2,3-propane triol), to add the moniker VEGETABLE, makes it sound like it's two different and distinct products, it isn't. Also, USP grade Glycerine is the purest you can get. Food Grade "vegetable Glycerine" you get in health food store saying 99.9% is BS. Since they do not have to meet any standard(such as USP standards) they could say anything, they could say 10000% pure. If you get USP grade, you know you are getting exactly what is labeled(within allowable USP limits) and it is made to most stringent requirements available in the US. (i.e. USP stands for United States Pharmacopeia- drugs have meet higher standards then foods do). Kashrut(kosher) laws are Jewish religious dietary laws having to do with the preparation of food products and really have nothing to do with the labeled purity of the product. Also, Kashrut(kosher) laws are jurisdictional(handled differently in different places). In some cases a rabbi must come to the manufacturer and verify processes and equipment conform to kosher law and in some places it's enough that the manufacturer says or thinks he is conforming to the kosher laws. In any case USP and Kosher are 2 different things. There is no such listing in the USP for "Kosher Glycerine". To the people who are feeling naseous using pharmacy bought Glycerine, USP, it may be a placebo effect(thinking your not using the real VG) or you may have a sensitivity to Glycerine(unlikely). But it is not because the Pharmacy bought Glycerine,USP is inferior or NOT Vegetable Glycerine."

http://www.reddit.com/r/electronic_cigarette/comments/1715i2/ejuice_mixing_thread/

CRK

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 12, 2010
Apex, NC
I have not bought any from Walmart since April...but my label looks different.

They may have changed the label since then.

Underneath "GLYCERIN" Mine says "USP 99.5% (Anhydrous)". A bit lower the label states "Pure Natural Vegetable Based"

Ron

Thats exactly what mine says. The picture I posted was from a google image search.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread