what volt meter do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjhorn

Jul 4, 2012
Chicago
I just picked up this (Amazon.com: Extech MN35 Digital Mini MultiMeter: Home Improvement) from amazon. Nice basic multimeter that will measure voltage, resistance or current as needed. I find a multimeter like this more useful than some of the single purpose meters aimed specifically at vapers. While the convenience of just being able to screw on an atty or carto is nice, I think something like this is more flexible.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
$5.00
http://www.sweet-vapes.com/shop?pag..._color_plus.tpl&product_id=237&category_id=27

"To use the multimeter: Plug the black (negative) lead into the last plug on the bottom, and the red (positive) into the plug above that. Leave the 10A DCA plug empty.

To test ohms: Set the meter at the lowest ohm setting. Check if it reads zero by touching the leads together. If it’s not zero just subtract the amount displayed from the final measurement. Put the positive lead in the center of your atomizer connection, and the negative on the threads. Take the reading once the numbers settle down, and subtract the number from before. This is your resistance.

To test voltage: Set the meter to the lowest voltage setting (DCV 20). Put the positive lead in the center of your batteries connection, and the negative on the threads (or outside threads for an ego/riva type). Push the button to activate the device, and you should have your reading. This is the unloaded voltage."

alffalvo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2012
Western Maryland
$5.00
http://www.sweet-vapes.com/shop?pag..._color_plus.tpl&product_id=237&category_id=27

"To use the multimeter: Plug the black (negative) lead into the last plug on the bottom, and the red (positive) into the plug above that. Leave the 10A DCA plug empty.

To test ohms: Set the meter at the lowest ohm setting. Check if it reads zero by touching the leads together. If it’s not zero just subtract the amount displayed from the final measurement. Put the positive lead in the center of your atomizer connection, and the negative on the threads. Take the reading once the numbers settle down, and subtract the number from before. This is your resistance.

To test voltage: Set the meter to the lowest voltage setting (DCV 20). Put the positive lead in the center of your batteries connection, and the negative on the threads (or outside threads for an ego/riva type). Push the button to activate the device, and you should have your reading. This is the unloaded voltage."

THANK YOU for the info / Help :toast:

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
I just have a $19 CE (Commercial Electric) manual range multimeter I got from Home Depot. Works just fine for e-cigging and most home needs. The meter actually zeros out when I have it on the ohm reading and touch the leads. No subtracting built in resistance or anything and didn't have to pay for shipping. Next time you go by a Home Depot, pick one up. I'm sure Lowes has something similar.

EDIT: Get your multimeter first and check back for instruction. It's easier if you have the thing in front of you so it makes more sense.

Last edited:

adbelt

Sep 10, 2012
Buford, GA
I use a really high end Fluke DMM, cost around $250.00. I also have a Snap On DMM at home. I get pricey ones because I use them for work.
As far as using it, depends on what you are doing. To test Ohm's on a carto or atty, plug to red lead into the red slot, may be marked as testing or VDC, VAC and Ohms. Black lead goes into the common input. Set the meter to ohm if auto ranging or the 20 Ohm setting if manual ranging. Place the black lead on the outer edge of the carto/atty and the red lead on the center. Load should show on the display.
For voltage, set the leads up the same way. Set the meter to VDC or 20 VDC depending on the meter type(see above). Black lead will go on the outer ring of the battery connection and red lead on the center. Please make sure the two leads don't touch or you could short out the battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread