What wick/coil sizes and styles do you prefer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigCloudz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2013
So Cal
I just got my Mech up and running and super excited. I had the guys at my local shop build up my Igo-W, they did a dual coil and was at .3 OMHs when I walked outta the shop yesterday. Looks liek I am sitting at .5 OHMs today. This thing is blasting away. However their wick and wire is way too expensive.

I am getting ready to place an order through Amazon for some wick and wire. What do you guys suggest? I am new to Mech mods, in fact I have never even tried to build anything. What I am getting at is I don't even have a sweet spot for OHMs and what-not. For the most part I am just looking for quality stuff that isn't too hard to work with, that will provide a nice solid build for some yummy vaping.

All the help and input is appreciated!

~Cloudz

terry w

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2012
Manchester UK
I just got my Mech up and running and super excited. I had the guys at my local shop build up my Igo-W, they did a dual coil and was at .3 OMHs when I walked outta the shop yesterday. Looks liek I am sitting at .5 OHMs today. This thing is blasting away. However their wick and wire is way too expensive.

I am getting ready to place an order through Amazon for some wick and wire. What do you guys suggest? I am new to Mech mods, in fact I have never even tried to build anything. What I am getting at is I don't even have a sweet spot for OHMs and what-not. For the most part I am just looking for quality stuff that isn't too hard to work with, that will provide a nice solid build for some yummy vaping.

~Cloudz

I personally use 3 mm silica wick, and .5 ribbon wire for the coils. I find ribbon wire very easy to work with, and i get perfect results every time. I am looking at getting some ekowool, as people are raving about that.

BigCloudz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2013
So Cal
I am using an AW IMR 18650, checking the OHM's regularly and do not chain vape it or go crazy. I am just easing into everything.

To the poster above: It's not that "I like my .3 coils", this is just what he set me up with. I am all ears as to what seems to be the sweet spot for a good vape w/o risking anything and what not.

I am using a SmokTech Magneto, Igo-w atty and like I said, the AW IMR 18650 battery..

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
It's threads like this that make me worry greatly about the safety issues of mech mods, sub-ohm coils and people with very little experience working with stuff like that.

First of all, I can't believe that a responsible shop owner/employee would agree to build a sub-ohm coil for a beginner.

Don't get me wrong: Beginner does not mean dumb. I'm sure you could quickly learn the basics just spending time here on ECF. But there is a lot of homework to do before launching off into the mech mod and RBA scene. It's an advanced system with many variables, any combination of the wrong numbers could lead to a disaster.

Also, you should describe your mod and what batteries you're using in it. Does it have a safety fuse? What other redundant safety features does it have?

Please invest in a good multimeter. Do you really want to trust that face of yours to a cheap potentiometer in a Chinese electronic mod?

Radar2013

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Indianapolis, IN, USA

~Cloudz

Well first off DO NOT order any Vaping supplies from AMAZON or EBAY... There are plenty of reputable online Vendors to get what you are looking for... I use EVODs and on a EGO Evic and I use 1.8ohm coils at either 3.8-4.0 VV or 7.0 WW.

EmeraldLeo1982

ECF Veteran
Aug 8, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma
I read that the SVD is limited to 1.2 ohms. Is that incorrect? Not that it matters much to me at the moment as I'm using a 2.4Ohm microcoil. Would be nice to have my facts straight though and know how the OP is even getting a reading from the SVD at 0.3Ohms.

As for wick and wire I'm using 28AWG Kanthal A-1 microcoil at 2.4Ohms on my SVD, with cheesecloth wick.

EDIT: forgot my thoughts about dual coils. Single is better because there's less battery drain and cooler vapor(that part is personal preference). And you don't roast as much juice at once but still get equal or better results at the same power levels.

Last edited:

BigCloudz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2013
So Cal
Considering the ohm checker on a mod is not the most accurate device for checking resistance, you're taking an awful risk when diving into sub ohm builds. Get a good meter before doing anything else.

Thanks for the parenting, but that's not what I was asking for with this thread.

It's threads like this that make me worry greatly about the safety issues of mech mods, sub-ohm coils and people with very little experience working with stuff like that.

First of all, I can't believe that a responsible shop owner/employee would agree to build a sub-ohm coil for a beginner.

Don't get me wrong: Beginner does not mean dumb. I'm sure you could quickly learn the basics just spending time here on ECF. But there is a lot of homework to do before launching off into the mech mod and RBA scene. It's an advanced system with many variables, any combination of the wrong numbers could lead to a disaster.

Also, you should describe your mod and what batteries you're using in it. Does it have a safety fuse? What other redundant safety features does it have?

Please invest in a good multimeter. Do you really want to trust that face of yours to a cheap potentiometer in a Chinese electronic mod?

Thank you for caring about my safety. However I have spent HOURS (more than my Wife is ok with lol) of research on mech mods, which batteries are safe etc. I, too was surprised that he built it that low, especially without ANY type of heads up or warning. Thankfully I research anything and everything to the max before I do it.

I did post my device/batteries etc, you probably didn't see it because you were typing out your post.

ANyway, I am not trying to sound like a know it all, but at the same time I don't like to be looked down upon like a child, when in fact I am a grown man and very responsible when it comes to this stuff.

Thanks for the input thus far, fellas.

Last edited:

BigCloudz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2013
So Cal
Well first off DO NOT order any Vaping supplies from AMAZON or EBAY... There are plenty of reputable online Vendors to get what you are looking for... I use EVODs and on a EGO Evic and I use 1.8ohm coils at either 3.8-4.0 VV or 7.0 WW.

FUnny, most vapers suggest buying coil from amazing/lighting vape all the time. You guys are funny.

I read that the SVD is limited to 1.2 ohms. Is that incorrect? Not that it matters much to me at the moment as I'm using a 2.4Ohm microcoil. Would be nice to have my facts straight though and know how the OP is even getting a reading from the SVD at 0.3Ohms.

As for wick and wire I'm using 28AWG Kanthal A-1 microcoil at 2.4Ohms on my SVD, with cheesecloth wick.

EDIT: forgot my thoughts about dual coils. Single is better because there's less battery drain and cooler vapor(that part is personal preference). And you don't roast as much juice at once but still get equal or better results at the same power levels.

Shall I take a pic?

Not sure how this became a 'finger pointing, slap on the hand to the OP' type of thread. I asked some pretty simple questions guys.

Thanks.

EmeraldLeo1982

ECF Veteran
Aug 8, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma
FUnny, most vapers suggest buying coil from amazing/lighting vape all the time. You guys are funny.

Shall I take a pic?

Not sure how this became a 'finger pointing, slap on the hand to the OP' type of thread. I asked some pretty simple questions guys.

Thanks.

Huh? I wasn't pointing finger or scolding anybody. I just listed my wick/coil preference like the title says, but I was curious about the ohm limit on the SVD in case I was misinformed. Then added my preference on dual or single coil.

I'm thinking maybe some people need to get their morning coffee and vape in them, because it's getting cranky up in here! =D

BigCloudz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2013
So Cal
Huh? I wasn't pointing finger or scolding anybody. I just listed my wick/coil preference like the title says, but I was curious about the ohm limit on the SVD in case I was misinformed. Then added my preference on dual or single coil.

I'm thinking maybe some people need to get their morning coffee and vape in them, because it's getting cranky up in here! =D

I am a tad grumpy lol. However I just know how forums go.

Certain people take things a bit over board. Then the parrots read the 'zealots', no matter what the nature of the forum is, and act as if there is only one way to skin a cat. I have seen it in everything from Bodybuilding websites, to the R&R's of Football forums.. That's all :)

Coastal Cowboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Please don't take the comments personally. People here genuinely are worried about safety.

The reasoning is that quitting smoking is one of the most safe decisions someone can make. Switching to e-cigs is so easy because there are so many devices out there that deliver a quality experience in exchange for very little risk. Step up to an electronic mod, and the risk steps up a bit because now you're using industrial rechargeable cells and electronics of a quality that hasn't really been established over the long term.

Step up even farther into mechs, rebuilding and sub-ohm vaping and the risk factors go up by an order of magnitude.

It's good that you've done your homework. It's great that you're using safe(r) chemistry batteries and a very nice mod. No one wants to deny you the experience of the Vaping Nirvana that so many folks have discovered. But alarms go off in many heads when these threads get started. It's not meant to be condescending at all. No one doubts your intelligence or ability, but experience and knowledge go a long way to preventing accidents, and no one wants to read about your unfortunate incident in the morning news.

Vape on, and good luck on your quest.

Coastal Cowboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com

I got all of my resistance wire from Temco's store on eBay. The cotton and silica wick came from eBay stores, too.

BigCloudz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2013
So Cal
Please don't take the comments personally. People here genuinely are worried about safety.

The reasoning is that quitting smoking is one of the most safe decisions someone can make. Switching to e-cigs is so easy because there are so many devices out there that deliver a quality experience in exchange for very little risk. Step up to an electronic mod, and the risk steps up a bit because now you're using industrial rechargeable cells and electronics of a quality that hasn't really been established over the long term.

Step up even farther into mechs, rebuilding and sub-ohm vaping and the risk factors go up by an order of magnitude.

It's good that you've done your homework. It's great that you're using safe(r) chemistry batteries and a very nice mod. No one wants to deny you the experience of the Vaping Nirvana that so many folks have discovered. But alarms go off in many heads when these threads get started. It's not meant to be condescending at all. No one doubts your intelligence or ability, but experience and knowledge go a long way to preventing accidents, and no one wants to read about your unfortunate incident in the morning news.

Vape on, and good luck on your quest.

I totally get it, and did get the sense that you truly do care. Not only for me, but for the vaping community. Obviously we want people safe, but furthermore, we want to keep the reputation of vaping being a safe alternative to smoking.

No worries man, and thank you for your input.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread