What would you say? Suppose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaperer

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2017
Suppose you were using a brick-and-mortar. And then suppose after some time you started ordering your supplies online. The reason why you did this was because you did not like the flavors that were available at the B&M. But suppose you like to use to be B&M for Hardware. This is my dilemma and I don't want to hurt no feelings. So what do I say when I go in there and they asked where have you been? Just curious what is the etiquette ?

and thank you in advance. Just a side note this B-M is a very good place to buy stuff and I have nothing but respect for the owner.
And the employees are excellent.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Tell them the truth. .... sure they might get their feelings hurt... but not knowing why customers are going elsewhere costs money. Pain in the EGO is free.

Good advice, but my eGo stopped holding a charge years ago. Not sure if it felt any pain though. :D

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Suppose you were using a brick-and-mortar. And then suppose after some time you started ordering your supplies online. The reason why you did this was because you did not like the flavors that were available at the B&M. But suppose you like to use to be B&M for Hardware. This is my dilemma and I don't want to hurt no feelings. So what do I say when I go in there and they asked where have you been? Just curious what is the etiquette ?

and thank you in advance. Just a side note this B-M is a very good place to buy stuff and I have nothing but respect for the owner.

" I buy all my hardware from you and your store. I trust you guys and you always have what I want."
If they ask about juice, smile, and tell them their flavors suck; add a little laugh at the end. (They know ;))

Cheers
I

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I'm 100% in favor of supporting reputable brick & mortar shops. I used to work for one. Great shops are hard to come by these days.

However, the markup prices for e-liquid and gear in many vape shops can be 100% or more. A prudent shopper considers all factors and makes his/her decision based on what they consider to be fair trade.

If their flavors suck, and you have found some online that you like, tell them the truth. Maybe they will take the hint and carry the line of manufacturers you like.

Nearly all of my purchases these days are done online. My last visit to my neighborhood vape shop I sampled a few flavors for free. I felt a little guilty not buying any, so offered to buy a vape band for my tank. He charged me $6 for it. I could have gotten 30 of them for $9 off of Amazon. It will be a loooong time before I go back.

2702091.jpg

Last edited:

Rangertrix

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2013
Collinsville, OK
I actually have a couple of shops I deal with that are fairly good.
They know things are cheaper online, and try to get as close to that pricing as they can.
I support them when I feel inclined, and they know there are some things I buy online because of pricing. Always been honest with them.
I actually bring liquids I get online and from other shops in for them to try and they've started carrying several brands I turned them on to.
If they're petty enough to be hurt by MY decisions regarding MY personal life, then I don't really want to do business with them.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I felt a little guilty not buying any, so offered to buy a vape band for my tank. He charged me $6 for it.

$6 for a vape band? I would have walked out guilt free and sans vape band as well. I'd be shocked if their cost was more than a dime. They could sell them for $1 or $2 each and be making a huge profit on them.

Don't get me wrong, I do not begrudge them for making a profit. They have to offer value though. Cost is what you pay, value is what you get. There just isn't any value in a $6 vape band.

ilporcupine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
IL, Duh
I actually have a couple of shops I deal with that are fairly good.
They know things are cheaper online, and try to get as close to that pricing as they can.
I support them when I feel inclined, and they know there are some things I buy online because of pricing. Always been honest with them.
I actually bring liquids I get online and from other shops in for them to try and they've started carrying several brands I turned them on to.
If they're petty enough to be hurt by MY decisions regarding MY personal life, then I don't really want to do business with them.
An idea for B&M stores: When you have amazing clearance/blowout pricing on items, use your retail store e-mail list, and offer it to those customers first. That way, they feel like they are rewarded for paying regular prices the rest of the time. Make them feel REALLY valued.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
An idea for B&M stores: When you have amazing clearance/blowout pricing on items, use your retail store e-mail list, and offer it to those customers first. That way, they feel like they are rewarded for paying regular prices the rest of the time. Make them feel REALLY valued.

IF I owned a B&M I would try to build a local community of vapers as a foundation for loyal customers. I would do things like host a monthly vape meetup at the store. Maybe offer occasional classes on various vape topics. There are a lot of things a small store can do to drive traffic and build loyalty and a sense of community. I have watched many stores (not just vape shops) open then close back down in just a few months because they open in some out of the way, hole in the wall, and expect the sign on the building to do all the work bringing traffic into the store.

ilporcupine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
IL, Duh
I only have two ships in my town
Neither one of them carries wire or wick, or battery wraps. Consequently, I do all my shopping on line. I find it much easier and less aggravating.
That's a problem here, too. One is a chain, and has a small selection, but at ridiculous prices. None of them is at all 'builder' oriented.

Rangertrix

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2013
Collinsville, OK

My main B&M uses that 5Star rewards program. It will randomly send members discount codes every so often.
Also, the shops e-mail system will randomly send out discount codes as well as track when you haven't made a purchase in a while and send you a substantial discount code to bring you back.

Would be great if they did member only clearance stuff though. Every time they have a great clearance sale all the great stuff is gone by the time I get there.
I did pick up a Freakshow Mini in every color at their last one though for $20. Made them about $3 each, lol.

Rangertrix

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2013
Collinsville, OK
That's a problem here, too. One is a chain, and has a small selection, but at ridiculous prices. None of them is at all 'builder' oriented.

Same here.
We have one that is builder oriented, but he is so small that he can't carry all that much.
The rest caters to the "eGo" crowd.

ilporcupine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
IL, Duh
Same here.
We have one that is builder oriented, but he is so small that he can't carry all that much.
The rest caters to the "eGo" crowd.
I didn't spend a ton of time in there, but the biggest one has all the flashy SMOK stuff, lots of shiny drip tips, etc. Lotsa juice! They may have more than was prominently displayed. Heck, back then I was just looking for 24mg or better strong menthol juice. Once I bought supplies, no need to shop. Can't do shiny on no budget. :D
EDIT: That one is a 'vapor lounge'. People sitting at tables, on couches vaping. Quite a few women groups. Different. Felt like a 'Tea Room'.

Last edited:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA

Does this B&M just resell juice obtained elsewhere or do they make their own, in-house?

If the former, tell the what you like and ask if they won't bring it so you can buy it from them.

If the later, let them sample what you like and see if they can't reproduce something close to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread