What's happened to the hobby?

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
So, do you know where I could get a Provari mod in the UK? I've looked, but can't seem to find any website that sells them.

Caravela only seem to do single battery mech mods. That isn't what I'm after.

Other than that, what other mods can you recommend?
For the record Provaris are no longer made, the company closed down years ago. If you want one you will need to look on the second hand market. They pop up regularly on the classified listings on ECF. They come in several finishes. Plain silver polished metal and fancy Zencote finish are both indestructible. They also come with a painted finish which is seriously delicate and doesn't last long.

I'm not as convinced as some folks are about the hardiness of Provaris. I had one where the positive battery contact on the bottom of the board broke off, it was toast. Then I had one where the fire button wouldn't come back up on its own after I pressed it. Took it apart to see what was wrong. They don't have a spring under the button, just a thin silicone dome to push the button back out. Fairly flimsy. The silicone dome on mine had split. I was able to take out the button assembly from the one with the broken contact and got it back in action.

To be fair I've used Provaris daily for 9 years and the first one I got is still working fine.

Dan_V

Mar 14, 2024
What are you looking for in a mod, other than no single battery mech mods?
Um... Something tough and serviceable that won't break down after a year (I keep having to replace my mods, which makes it not cost effective). Something with a bit of character and class to it. Something with some protection, so not full mech. Dual battery so it has some decent capacity. Something I can run my dripper on that will give about 40 watts to my O.39 single coil set up.

I would love to go back to a mech, because there's less to go wrong but it's been so long I've forgotten what ohms I was using back then. It wasn't very powerful and the coils were very small and thin. I've got used to having bigger clouds with the modern regulated mods and bigger coils.

Feeling a bit lost now, to be honest. I've been through so many mods over the years because they don't last long. Now I'm endlesslessly trawling websites, looking at regulated mods and I don't know what or who to trust anymore.

Last edited:

Dan_V

Mar 14, 2024
For the record Provaris are no longer made, the company closed down years ago. If you want one you will need to look on the second hand market. They pop up regularly on the classified listings on ECF. They come in several finishes. Plain silver polished metal and fancy Zencote finish are both indestructible. They also come with a painted finish which is seriously delicate and doesn't last long.

I'm not as convinced as some folks are about the hardiness of Provaris. I had one where the positive battery contact on the bottom of the board broke off, it was toast. Then I had one where the fire button wouldn't come back up on its own after I pressed it. Took it apart to see what was wrong. They don't have a spring under the button, just a thin silicone dome to push the button back out. Fairly flimsy. The silicone dome on mine had split. I was able to take out the button assembly from the one with the broken contact and got it back in action.

To be fair I've used Provaris daily for 9 years and the first one I got is still working fine.
Thanks for that info. That's valuable to know.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    If you are one of those people that is always breaking electronic regulated mods, then try a dual battery PWM mod.

Lost Vape Centaurus P200 (only $30 on sourcemore but on preorder since it was just released).

These are much expensive...

KRAKEN Box Mod by Chalet MFG (roughly $150)

Hexohm mod from CravingVapor (roughly $200)

Dan_V

Mar 14, 2024
    If you are one of those people that is always breaking electronic regulated mods, then try a dual battery PWM mod.

Lost Vape Centaurus P200 (only $30 on sourcemore but on preorder since it was just released).

These are much expensive...

KRAKEN Box Mod by Chalet MFG (roughly $150)

Hexohm mod from CravingVapor (roughly $200)
    Thanks for the recommendations. The P200 and Hexohm look like potentiometer controlled mods. I have been interested in mosfet protected mods for a while now.

I think what's happening with me, is that I buy one unit at a time and use it solidly. I never have a back up. So the mods are reaching their life span, and simply dying. I take care of the gear. I put them down gently, I never dropped them. I keep them clean, wiping away any spills quickly before it can get into the body.
    I've tried the usual IP68 types. I've had three Aegis mods over the years.

I like the look of the Hexohm. If it's built to last, I don't mind saving up for it. I have been considering the Lost Vape M200, but not sure.

I'll definitely keep the Hexohm in mind.

Territoo

Diva
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    Um... Something tough and serviceable that won't break down after a year (I keep having to replace my mods, which makes it not cost effective). Something with a bit of character and class to it. Something with some protection, so not full mech. Dual battery so it has some decent capacity. Something I can run my dripper on that will give about 40 watts to my O.39 single coil set up.

I would love to go back to a mech, because there's less to go wrong but it's been so long I've forgotten what ohms I was using back then. It wasn't very powerful and the coils were very small and thin. I've got used to having bigger clouds with the modern regulated mods and bigger coils.

Feeling a bit lost now, to be honest. I've been through so many mods over the years because they don't last long. Now I'm endlesslessly trawling websites, looking at regulated mods and I don't know what or who to trust anymore.

I'm particularly fond of the Vaporesso Gen or Gen-s. It's a dual 18650 battery mod. I got a bunch for my stash, but I'm still using the first one I tried. After >2 years it's got a bit of paint wear, but still going strong. If you can't find the Gen or Gen-s (the only difference is the colors available), then try the Gen 200. I can't attest to the longevity, since I just started using one of mine, but it is very similar to the OG, except it has a larger screen display and is a bit smaller.

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    I took one thing from your comment and decided to take a look at Caravela mods.

So, do you know where I could get a Provari mod in the UK? I've looked, but can't seem to find any website that sells them.

Caravela only seem to do single battery mech mods. That isn't what I'm after.

Other than that, what other mods can you recommend?
    ROFL -- All of what I use isn't even made anymore. ProVape closed up shop, and Pedro only makes the NAU these days (which I don't recommend because it's a hybrid mod) Pedro only made 999 Caravelas' (+10,000 HCigar Caravelas' were made in China)

So just for the record, I stocked up years ago. Don't bother trying to find my stuff. Find what you like, and then stock up so that no one can ever take vaping away from you.

Tor R

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Apr 4, 2020
    Mandal, Norway
    www.kinnheia.com
    My first Dicodes chip has passed 105,000 puffs, the only thing I've had to change is the screen which failed at 70k puffs, that said, it has been in the ground many times, which led to some design changes on the stabwood, and may also have been a reason why the screen said thank you and goodbye.

I think the chipset has delivered with its 105k, but my figures pale in comparison to what others have obtained from Dicodes mods:
    IMG_1732.jpeg

IMG_1731.jpeg

I'm in the U.K. Where American jokes tend to go over our heads... :D
    I'm guessing you mean it's something to do with the insurrection?

Didn't you hear, The Insurrection, was worse that WW I, WW II, Korean War and Vietnam combined!!!! You have to throw salt over your shoulder whenever mentioning it.

:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread