The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

What's the most coils I can power with a DNA250?

Discussion in 'Coil Builds' started by vapesmooth123, Feb 17, 2018.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. vapesmooth123

vapesmooth123 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jun 23, 2016
    I have a DNA250 with three 3000 mAh vtc6's.
    I'm trying to for fun now and then vape a giant ~30mm RDA with 4-6 coils in it (as much vapor as possible).
    I didn't realize until I saw the video below that a regulated MOD like DNA250 isn't really supposed to power so much coil mass. It's a .04 or .06 ohm build by the way in the video.

According to this reddit though, the DNA250 CAN fire down to .05 but at only 150 watts.

"It will fire down to 0.05ohm in regular wattage mode, but it will only hit 150w max. To hit 250w it needs to be at least 0.07ohm. Check out page 5 of their spec sheet for the actual board from EVOLV."

Dna250 minimum resistance • r/Vaping101

Bascailly, I'm just asking how many coils (quad? sextuple?) and how many wraps (5-wrap? 8-wrap?) and what Id (3.5mm? 4.5mm?) can I put in an RDA and get some giant vapor with the DNA250? Once I know that, I can decide if I might just get a quad coil RDA and put 4 somewhat smaller coils in it, or maybe just a large like 28mm RDA for two very long like 9-wrap coils in it.
    No, sorry I'm not gonna get an unregulated mod just for this.

I have right now fused klapton kanthal 28x2 - 32ga.
    I ordered SS fused Clapton 26*2+30.
    I'll buy whatever wire is suggested for this though.

I would hope ramp-up is not super long.
    I know batteries won't last long but I'm only going to vape this RDA on rare occasion. Thanks.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. vapesmooth123

Jun 23, 2016
    basically I'm just asking for an answer that will sound something like this, although this might be completely incorrect (because I dunno): "with a DNA250 triple vtc6, you should be able to fire quad 3.5mm 7-wrap coils of 316LSS 26*2+30 or the same if 6-wrap Kanthal 28x2 - 32ga.

Or.... maybe the answer is that I can fire 6 coils in an RDA like the So Horney. Or.. maybe I should stick with a triple coil RDA with 8-wrap coils and get better ramp up?

Keep in mind too, I don't vape very high wattage. I have TFV8 T-10 coils (5X doubled-up parallel round coils they claim to be '10 coils), and says on the coils "50-300 watts, best at 130-190" but I'm vape them at only like 80 watts.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. bombastinator

bombastinator Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    As you point out the size of the coils matters which I think is only one reason why it so hard to answer this question. Another is number of coils isn’t the only feature controlling vapor production. You want a pure coil chasing rig apparently so let’s assume 0 nic unflavored pure VG to start. That will have more effect on clouds than anything else. (This incidentally means what you want is a lung powered theatrical fog machine)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. vapesmooth123

Jun 23, 2016
    ^ yea this would be 0mg maybe 1-2mg though with nic salt, and I vape %100 VG usually anyway (except flavor at about %5-%10 alcohol/PG based would mean it's really 90/10 juice or 95/5 unless I find VG-based flavors I like that carry flavor well),

but juice for this tank will be dedicated for it only, so maybe %95VG, %5 flavor, 1mg or 0mg. (or just straight %100 VG plain lol).

Ok so can anyone answer final question: If I do get a 6-coil RDA like the So Horney, and find that I can't fire 6 large (6-wrap) coils with a DNA250, can I just make those like 4-wrap coils and a smaller diameter (like 2mm instead of 3.5mm) and then SPACE the coils (like a spring) and then it should fire fine, right?
    • Like Like x 1
  5. KenD

KenD Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Aug 20, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    First and foremost you need to consider what your batteries can handle. The vtc6 is a 15-amp battery, so with three of them you go safely go as high 135w (with a low voltage cutoff at 3.2v, and the DNA 200/250 efficiency at 95%).

Sent from my Thor E using Tapatalk
  6. madstabber

madstabber Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Beamslider

Beamslider Ultra Member Verified Member

May 29, 2017
    San Francisco
    Why? and yes ramp up is going to be a long one