What's with the anise flavor hype?

Status
Not open for further replies.

techmatlock

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2013
Long Beach, CA
I recently got the chance to purchase Grenada from a new vendor, but turned it down after contemplating whether or not I even liked the flavor. I ate some black licorice, which people say is very similar to anise, and didn't like it at all. It had like a bitter, plant-like, molasses? taste to it. Do that many people really like this unique flavor to where it has now created a couple juices that are the most demanded to get? I never hear people talk about anise or black licorice in daily life, so it's strange to me that in the vaping community, so many people like it. I'm kicking myself for not liking it and trying to convince myself to like it because of everyone's rave reviews about Grenada, but that black licorice flavor is pretty strange.

techmatlock

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2013
Long Beach, CA
Well, it's a simple case of "to each their own."
Personally, I hate loathe anise, so I don't mind missing out on all of those flavors.

The vendor selling the Grenada says he hates black licorice and Grenada is all he vapes. I'm going to order a bottle. Thanks for your comments.

Cuando

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2009
Living in a box of CelluCotton
Anise....the flavor makes me think of a tackle box for fishing. We used to use anise on our lures and bait to help mask 'people smell'. Can't say I like vaping anything with that flavor. I think the Banana Nut Bread from MBV has it. I made some DIY with that flavoring from them and lovingly call my mix 'Tackle Box'. Most likely won't ever see the bottom of that bottle.

techmatlock

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2013
Long Beach, CA
I'm in the same boat, but ordered two 30ml 20mg bottles of pluid the other day....I'm afraid....very afraid lol.

Yeah, I'm just going to go out on a limb and order 6mg 30ml Grenada. If I don't like it, I know it will sell fast.

Anise....the flavor makes me think of a tackle box for fishing. We used to use anise on our lures and bait to help mask 'people smell'. Can't say I like vaping anything with that flavor. I think the Banana Nut Bread from MBV has it. I made some DIY with that flavoring from them and lovingly call my mix 'Tackle Box'. Most likely won't ever see the bottom of that bottle.

Haha, good story.

I freaking love the stuff. Always have. That being said, I run Mad Murdock's Radiator Pluid on my stable RBAs all the time if I'm craving something full bodied and complex. :2c:

I do have a rotation of flavors, but Pluid is probably one of the most used.

To each their own.

I hate you for liking anise and not myself. Haha, I'm joking, but I really am curious to see if I'll like it or not. The juice in Grenada and Pluid look freaking sweet to me as well.

RobinBanks

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 1, 2013
Jersey Shore
I've always been a big fan of black licorice ...and even moreso... anise and fennel.
However, for some reason I'm apprehensive about vaping it! I have a small sample of black licorice that just seems so potent that I think I will need a licorice dedicated tank. Perhaps when my new tanks arrive =)

techmatlock

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2013
Long Beach, CA
"Black licorice is another sex enhancer. Alan R. Hirsch, the neurological director of Smell and Taste Treatment and Research Foundation in Chicago, found that women who smelled black licorice reported a 13 percent increase in blood flow to their nether regions."

IS LICORICE THE LADY'S ......?

I can't say I expected this thread to go in this direction. Lol.

ZeroDisorder

ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
Oklahoma
As far as Pluid goes, the best way I can describe it without using anise as a description, is: Primarily black licorice, with citrus notes and a slight hint of herbal feeling (think basil) all undertoned with a good bit of sweetness. It has a full bodied nearly mouth watering effect. It has a weird cooling and numbing feel kind of like a menthol, but not quite. Absinthe is best described as anise and spearmint, and I may be tasting more toward that direction. The weirdest part is that I get a different taste almost every time I take a puff with the stuff. More citrus one time, more basil-y the next, etc... I may be associating the anise with absinthe or Italian cusine spices such as basil. I don't know. What I do know is that I like it. The price is a bit high for it, but it's definitely an interesting flavor.

ZeroDisorder

ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
Oklahoma
Ordered a bottle with anise, did not enjoy it :/ sits in the back of the cupboard as emergency backup

I had about 10ml of a 30ml bottle of Absinthe sit for a while, and when I went to give it a try again, it didn't taste anything like it used to. It turned unvapable. :( I now use it for cleaning reasons.

gr1llmeacheese

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2013
Aurora, IL, USA
Yeah, as someone who likes black licorice but doesn't love it I have to admit the interesting color and awesome name of Radiator Pluid was what drew me in more than the flavor. Like the poster above when I got my chance I ordered 2 30ml bottles of 20mg because I didn't want to risk falling in love with it and not being able to get any more.

It is a very good vape, like others have said the anise flavor is primarily what you get but there is a lot of other things happening with it.

I think that anise/licorice/absinthe vapes are big just because they ride the coattails of pluid's notoriety.

ZeroDisorder

ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
Oklahoma
I think that anise/licorice/absinthe vapes are big just because they ride the coattails of pluid's notoriety.

Possibly. I just asked my custom juice guy to whip me up an absinthe flavor. I was at a different shop when someone smelled the anise flavor, and asked me if I was vaping Pluid. From there I got introduced. Regardless, I'm going to try to give a DIY mix a go, since Pluid is almost prohibitively expensive in my opinion.

SharonMM

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2013
Lakeville, MN
I really am not a fan of black licorice, anise, absinthe as edibles but I like it as a vape! Jeremy from Goodlife vapor sent me a sample of magic fairy, which is a citrusy licorice mix.. probably an take on pluid which I haven't tried, so I can't compare the two..

I had no expectations of liking this but I really do! It's not a ADV for me or anything, but its a nice change of pace from my usual sweets and tobacco.

I'd love to see someone develop an orange clove eliquid.. maybe with a tobacco base and hints of dark chocolate. its a classic flavor combination that I think could also really work well as a vape.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

SilentVapidity

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2011
Minnesota
I'd love to see someone develop an orange clove eliquid.. maybe with a tobacco base and hints of dark chocolate. its a classic flavor combination that I think could also really work well as a vape.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

Well, that sounds delicious!

I like anise when it's part of root beer. I've been hooked on root beer vape for about a week now, and it's still fabulous. It is interesting to watch the trends and fads though. I did hop on the anise bandwagon and ordered a couple of things. But the fad that still has me scratching my head is The Great Snickerdoodle Shortage of 2011. It was crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread