What's wrong with old juice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ay Dee Jay

ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Colorado
I buried this question in another thread so I thought I'd start a new post...

I bought tons of TV juice back in June-Aug 2010 and am still making my way through it. At the time I was under the impression that TV juice will last 1-2 years under good conditions (cool dry dark storage). It still tastes fine but now I'm hearing that 8 months is the typical shelf life.

If the juice tastes fine and "works," what are the primary concerns with old juice? I can see my stash lasting another year if I don't seriously step up my vaping :) Just found a nearly full bottle of Waffles that I'd written up as gone-for-good today. Yay!

Ay Dee Jay

ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Colorado
Yeah, I figure there may be some health concerns with regard to VG degrading to acrolein, oxidation of the nicotine and flavoring, etc...but if it tastes good and does the trick, it's probably still orders of magnitude safer than smoking cigarettes.

Can't believe there are people out there that claim that e-cigs don't deliver nicotine effectively...I've got such a stockpile I've been deliberately vaping a little more than usual and my head is spinning, felt like my 14 year-old self after stealing a pack from the old man for the first time :) I still have some old 510 atomizers I bought when TV still sold electronics and they really come to life at 5V!

jangofett

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 7, 2009
Florida
Letting them sit for too long will change the flavor, consistency, and color. If you don't store them in a cool, dark place, it will also reduce the nicotine concentration. Geoff says they last 8 months because he doesn't want people thinking his juices are bad. After 8 months you can still vape them, but don't blame him if it's not at the quality you expect from TV.

VaporingQueen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2010
Virginia
I can't argue with this. My problem lay's with the fact that I have tried most of TV's and I am in love with only one. So what to do with the rest?

The trouble with old juice is that there are so many new juices I want to try and I can't justify buying new when I have gallons of old sitting around the house. :laugh:

VaporingQueen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2010
Virginia
Oh Markimar I am sorry you are having to go through all this stuff. I will be glad when you can put it behind you. oh wait that came out wrong, oh wait that did too. {snickers to self}

No really Markimar you are in my thoughts and prayers xxx

As for the A/C ya it is all I vape for the most part, sometime will will add a little of something else to my A/C mix like mint, moijto bubblegum, but mostly just A/C. My boyfriend wishes I would vape cheesecake lol he loved smelling that one :)

Mr. Tasty Vapor

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
I buried this question in another thread so I thought I'd start a new post...

I bought tons of TV juice back in June-Aug 2010 and am still making my way through it. At the time I was under the impression that TV juice will last 1-2 years under good conditions (cool dry dark storage). It still tastes fine but now I'm hearing that 8 months is the typical shelf life.

If the juice tastes fine and "works," what are the primary concerns with old juice? I can see my stash lasting another year if I don't seriously step up my vaping :) Just found a nearly full bottle of Waffles that I'd written up as gone-for-good today. Yay!

I have no idea why someone would automatically assume this, it certainly would not leave our lips if you asked us, you would have heard exactly what we tell everyone, which is 8-9 months under proper conditions.

Our liquids have a SHORTER life because we don't load the liquids up with any preservatives. It will darken, it will go bad, because again, it is not loaded with preservatives. The liquid will be darker, which is STILL fine. However, and regardless of taste, nicotine is a perishable thing. It WILL go bad, even if your liquids taste fine. What will happen? I pray someone isn't "brilliant" enough to push the envelope to find out. If your liquid (from us) is over 8 months old, TOSS IT.

"Still tastes good" isn't a qualifier for quality, freshness, longevity, etc. If you ask us, and we tell you, I'd advise you to stick with it. Because in the long run, and as a company, we probably have good cause for telling you this.

Look up the word "bacteria" online.

Last edited:

Mr. Tasty Vapor

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
The explanation was a bit blunt, but I get quite nervous when someone posts where they have assumed things like this and of course, being that it's posted publicly, there are suddenly lots of others that will naturally assume because someone is keeping their liquids 1-2 years, that this is suddenly the shelf life of our liquids.

Over time, bacteria WILL grow in the liquid. Warmth and UV light will accelerate the process. The PG will slow the process considerably, but it will still happen, even if you can't taste it.

My comment was simply "hitting the brakes" on a bad idea.

We have always stated two bits of advice to our customers and everyone reading this should pay attention:

Do not keep your liquids longer than 8 months.

Buy no more than you intend on using in the next few months to ensure freshness.

Last edited:

markimar

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2010
Orlando
Oh my! I need to start putting the date on my bottles! Some I have no clue of their age! How long have the blue tops been in place? I still have a couple white cap bottles. Those should be tossed.
Thanks for the kick in the .... Geoff! Don't want to be vaping Irish cream with a hint of bacteria! :)
Glad someone is looking out for our health. Sometimes I can be so stupid!

Last edited:

Dusty_D

Original Guru
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2010
Toronto, Canada
dustysfoodieadventures.blogspot.ca
...runs to juice stash. 400ml of Geoffs Blend less than 2 months old, 2oz AC approximately 3 months old, 3 oz Cough Drop less than one month old, 3oz Bananas Foster closing on 6 months.

Must vape Bananas Foster, but how do I stop vaping Geoffs Blend..?! Dilemma!

Suggestions?!

I've got rid of all my other TV juices, either in sales or given away. I think I will eventually end up with just GB and CoughDrop for those "cold" spells.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread