• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

What's your "cause"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.
I belong to a Women's group in Tampa that raises money for our local schools and childrens sports. It was started by a group of friends from Jr. High to socialize and raise a bit of money..it grew! We now support a girl's fast pitch team, a ministry that provides backpacks to homeless kids (full of personal products , books, clothes ect.) and we help support our local 2 elementary schools.
We do this by having a picnic every year that has grown by leaps and bounds, old teachers and Alum from 1925 to 1970 attend along with their child, grands and Great grands!(1970 was the last year our Jr. High was in service)
Then we have a dance..last year 500 attended, we would have had more but that was the hall limit! We have had bands that played when we were teens play for free, just for the joy of it and people from the past come just to see who got fat, old and bald...lol
Our Local Senior High closed the year we were to attend, so they split us up between 4 other schools and trade centers. Most of us missed the original group. Then we grew to encompass not only our "Year" but several years above and below.

What is your cause?
Please, just tell us without rants. Most of all if you don't like the cause..don't reply to it. Play nice.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Wildsky

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
Nebraska
Wow you're a busy one! LOL

I tend more toward the animals, any kinda animal. I try to support the animal shelters and things like that. I used to trap and spay/neuter feral cats, and then let them back where they came from. If I found a pregnant mom cat or one with kittens, I would feed her make sure she had water etc... and then I'd take the kittens when they were old enough and find homes for them.
I used to (in Africa) catch and release snakes that were bothering "humans" LOL I mostly did that at my dern place of work, the biggest offending snake was the Night adder - used to sneak into the warehouses and catch the mice that were in the bales of cotton.

BARENETTED

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2009
NEW JERSEY, USA
My 'cause' is Saint Jude's Children's Hospital. I am a Partner In Hope which simply means they bill my Credit Card every month for an amount I have previously agreed upon. Saint Jude's never turns anyone away because of their inability to pay. Sick kids (and their parents) just tug at my heart.

I am so thankful that I had two healthy children and they have grown to
give me 4 healthy grandchildren.

I do whatever I can to raise money for Saint Jude's.

I believe whatever your cause is - it is a good one.
When we are blessed, it is important to give back. :thumb::thumb:

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.
I meant to add in the op, please try to welcome a newcomer to the forum when you can. Just look in the newcomer forum.
I try to respond to the ones who have 0 replys. Of course if I don't have a clue about the answer to thier question..I let it go. Who needs some crazy lady babbling on about a 510 or whatever when she doesn't even know what they are! :rolleyes:
Remember what it was like to be the new kid. Thanks to those I see in that forum by the way!

mixxy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2008
Oregon
I do volunteer dog grooming at our county shelter 1 day per week. I started doing it right out of grooming school, and figured it would be great extra practice,. plus give the pups a better chance of getting adopted :)

My husband was so scared when I told him I was going to be working out there... he thought I'd be adopting new dogs home every week. So far I've resisted the urge, but only because they have a very good adoption rate there.... but can't say I won't ever "fall for one" I just can't resist! ;)

BARENETTED

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2009
NEW JERSEY, USA
Animals too :).

Interestingly I hear a lot of people ..... about "For The Children" organizations. Seems that after researching them they find out that the children don't get much out of it and the vast majority goes to "overhead".

Sad to say...

Fox,

I know what you are saying and it is sad, but you can't make a 'blanket' statement like that. There are some - it is true, but to set the record straight, Saint Jude's is NOT one of those. I personally know someone who has a child with cancer. The child has been to Saint Jude's four different times for lengthy stays and treatments. The bill ? - ZERO!!!!!!!

God Forbid - one of my Grandchildren were to get sick - the one and only place I would want to care for them would be Saint Jude's. The research they do and the strides they have made against this horrific disease is nothing short of magnificent.

...........But for the Grace of God....there go I.

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.
That's why they make not for profit organiztions. At the end of the year, we have about $10.00 left in our acct. just enough to keep it open and untaxable. We start raising money all over every year. No one gets paid and we provide a detailed account to each member (and anyone who contributes, if they ask). St Jude runs on a different scale of course. That's really good place to give your money.
There are a lot of scams out there, some of them raise money for animals, health issues and children. You need to be informed before you give or work for some.

Last edited:

nitewriter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Hendersonville Tennessee
Fox,

I know what you are saying and it is sad, but you can't make a 'blanket' statement like that. There are some - it is true, but to set the record straight, Saint Jude's is NOT one of those. I personally know someone who has a child with cancer. The child has been to Saint Jude's four different times for lengthy stays and treatments. The bill ? - ZERO!!!!!!!

God Forbid - one of my Grandchildren were to get sick - the one and only place I would want to care for them would be Saint Jude's. The research they do and the strides they have made against this horrific disease is nothing short of magnificent.

...........But for the Grace of God....there go I.

HILWAYB, I so agree with you about St Jude!

Randy Owen (from the group Alabama) is a long-time friend of mine and a spokesperson for St Jude. He created "Country Cares" to raise money for them. I've gone to St Jude in Memphis several times with him. It's AMAZING what they do! Both for the children and in the name of cancer research!

...There by the grace of God go us all

BARENETTED

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2009
NEW JERSEY, USA
Nitewriter,

How blessed you are! I envy you. I want to go to Saint Jude's so bad.
Once every year they have a conference and invite all the 'partners in hope'. One of these days, maybe when I retire, I will get to go.

I have an uncle who is very well known and highly regarded in our area. He is one of several executors for a multimillion dollar estate. The man who owned the estate stipulated the money be given to hospitals and non profits. Basically, the entire principal is intact and they distribute the interest every year. They are very good to our local hospitals and charities, but Saint Jude's benefits very nicely every year. That just makes me so happy.

I get a bit defensive when people lump them in with some of the 'shadier' charities. I just wish everyone knew the scope of their work and generosity. They are truly amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread