Whats your thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vapin'Bolt

ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2018
United Kingdom
vapinbolt.weebly.com
So I started a giveaway in relation to a most recent little project I did...

Making solid wood tank holders, I know this has been done and has been done with mostly MDF based timbers but I decided to make them from more exotic woods. Like this one Ebony.

It's a simple construction and how I noticed that the oils if any from the ejuice leaked it didn't really affect the overall appearance, just gives it a finish

I custom engraved it to suit the winner's initials

Had a little play around and this happened...

fullsizeoutput_d24.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_da5.jpeg

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
It is a very nice stand, but even I could not in good faith and good conscience say my name was Jolly Jello.

I mean I would have loved it if my parents were that cool, but they were pretty straight laced, although once I got married, my initials became SAC if only I could add a "K" but it's still better than nothing. LOL.

Nice work however,

Anna

Vapin'Bolt

ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2018
United Kingdom
vapinbolt.weebly.com
It is a very nice stand, but even I could not in good faith and good conscience say my name was Jolly Jello.

I mean I would have loved it if my parents were that cool, but they were pretty straight laced, although once I got married, my initials became SAC if only I could add a "K" but it's still better than nothing. LOL.

Nice work however,

Anna
Haha brilliant...

Sorry, all this was a giveaway on my page and I just wanted to share my work with everyone. The winner got to choose what they wanted carving except the bolt :)

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Haha brilliant...

Sorry, all this was a giveaway on my page and I just wanted to share my work with everyone. The winner got to choose what they wanted carving except the bolt :)
That makes more sense then. From your first post it sounded like you made it like that before the giveaway.

Vaperer

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2017
So I started a giveaway in relation to a most recent little project I did...

Making solid wood tank holders, I know this has been done and has been done with mostly MDF based timbers but I decided to make them from more exotic woods. Like this one Ebony.

It's a simple construction and how I noticed that the oils if any from the ejuice leaked it didn't really affect the overall appearance, just gives it a finish

I custom engraved it to suit the winner's initials

Had a little play around and this happened...

View attachment 754617 View attachment 754619
where'd you get the wood

Reactions: stols001

Vapin'Bolt

ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2018
United Kingdom
vapinbolt.weebly.com
I like the simple elegance of the stand. You should sell them on ebay.
Yeah, I thought about it but would cost too much in the exotic woods and people may not pay it. However, as they are bespoke and not on a production line it may get some interest

• Agree
Reactions: Letitia

Vapin'Bolt

ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2018
United Kingdom
vapinbolt.weebly.com
Ebony wood is hard to come by
I have a knife with ebony wood handles. Can you put linseed oil on it to make it shine?
I like ebony wood a lot and I also like cocobolo. Can you please tell me your source of where you got that wood because I want to get some

ahhh great stuff very hard to get it yes, this was donated to me which dates back to the 70s when it was imported to the UK!! We can get it over here and I know eBay does sell
Of course, linseed is the best but if you want a higher protective shine use Jac lacquer

• Useful
Reactions: Letitia

Vapin'Bolt

ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2018
United Kingdom
vapinbolt.weebly.com
Mahogany, Walnut & Cherry are always popular but would absorb juice & discolor excessively IMO. Figured Rock Maple is tight grained, beautiful & resistant :2c:

Yeah, its got to be tight grain to get the best out of it, why they are making them from MDF is beyond me it won't last. But for the prices does it matter...

I've tried American White Oak, works well doesn't alter colour much but does change due to natural tannings.

Any Burl or birdseye wood would be great tight and close grain and looks amazing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread