When do you know when its time to replace a Organic Cotton Coil (OCC)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray73

Apr 16, 2015
Linden,NJ
Hello guys,

I have the istick 30w with a Kangertech Nano, I just got it and I'm using the OCC .5 coil that comes with it, it seems as though as longs and the cotton is saturated with juice or oil its okay, but is there are "limit" or amount of times when its time to say "Okay, I think its time to change this".

This is a question I've always wondered about as with anything that you fill with your atomizers, clearmizers, etc.... I would think that as long and the wicks or the cotton is not left drying you can still use it for as long as it can last, but maybe this is ignorant thinking, but is there a "breaking point" per say when you should change it?

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
Eventually you will find that there is "gunk" that builds up on the coil, even if you do keep the wick saturated. If you notice a change in flavor, or a decrease in vapor production (or, if you can see down into the coil, whenever you notice that the amount of gunk is more than you're personally comfortable with) then it's time to change the coil.

Reactions: Ray73

wesson

ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2015
Ontario, Canada
I get a lot of mileage out of my Nautilus BVC OCCs; 3,4,5 weeks? I regularly (after every couple of days use) rinse the coils in a stream of hot water, let them air dry over night and reuse them. I don't vape high VG juices, normally no higher than 50/50 and normally around 10 watts on a 1.6 Ohm coil. At around $4.00 a pop (Cdn) I don't like to waste my coils. I don't notice a flavour or performance degradation with washed coils.

Dom NY

ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2013
New York
As was said before, the life of your coil is dependant upon the type of liquid you're using, along with the wattage. Clearer liquids tend to gunk up coils less. I find that a range of 19 to 20 watts is ideal for the Kanger OCC coils. Use your sight and taste to tell when it's time to change a coil. When refilling your tank, visually inspect the the coil for excessive buildup, and note any changes in the taste of your vape.

I get a lot of mileage out of my Nautilus BVC OCCs; 3,4,5 weeks? I regularly (after every couple of days use) rinse the coils in a stream of hot water, let them air dry over night and reuse them.

I thought about trying to rinse the coils with hot water in between tank fill-ups. I'll give it a shot...

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
2 things happen in a coil/wick.... the wick becomes toasted ( carbonized) and/or the coil builds up a carbon deposit that inhibits heat transfer and thus loss of flavor and efficiency.... I change the wick and dry burn the coil when the flavor drops off enuf to tell there is a difference.... ( I use a rebuildable)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread