When to refill tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaper12345678

Aug 26, 2018
Hi everyone I am new to vaping and I have a question.
When Should I refill my tank to avoid dry hits?if I vape it all the way down the cotton cant get enough juice to vape but it is safe to store it so when I done with the vape should I leave some juice right? But I cannot leave a vape with juice in its tank for a long time. This is a paradox please help

Reactions: stols001

Shadav

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Westfield, IN, USA
thehelpline.info
if you are not using the tank, you don't need to keep juice in it...soak the tank and coils in some vodka for a day, then let dry and store away for later use

now as to when to refill, you can do this at anytime you wish...that's just personal preference....top of your tank before you leave the house...run it dry before refilling....it really doesn't matter...currently i'm vaping every drop of juice out of my tank because i'm going to be switching flavors

santo19586

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2010
Saint Cloud FL
hello , welcome
i use two different stank setups all day , diff flavors , when my tanks start to get low i just refill , i am usually vaping all day, but when i'm not going to use a certain tank and the coil has not been used for long i just leave it in my tank stand with the air control shut , with juice level low, ready for the next day , i change up my flavors often ,

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    Just my :2c: on this topic, but I don't wait till whatever tank (whether it's a clearo or a RTA) I'm currently using is fully empty before I refill it. I vape either unflavored or the flavored juice I mix up, that always (almost always..) is the same.

englishmick

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 25, 2014
    Naptown, Indiana
    Back in the old days when I started vaping with Pro Tanks the instructions said don't let the tank get less than 1/3 full. They would tend to leak if you did. I got into that habit and still fill up when they get down there. Don't know if it's necessary with more modern tanks.

I have some tanks that will start to leak a little if I leave them standing for a few days. Never had trouble leaving them overnight though regardless of how much juice they had in them.

I'm not sure how the level of juice would cause dry hits. That's generally down to other factors like wicking or the type of juice.

Shadav

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 4, 2013
    Westfield, IN, USA
    thehelpline.info
    o/t *groans* protanks...love to hate them hate to love them....if mine got below 1/2 full they'd leak....i never had any luck with tanks which is why i tried dripping and never went back :lol: well until now, i just got an rdta and enjoying it so far...just have to be careful of tilting it as juice will seep out the fill port

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    I don't vape down to the bottom then go back to the top of the slide then I do it again.....

I am one of those freaks who thinks I get a better vape when my tank is almost full. LOL, I don't know if I'm just inherently "greedy" and like to vape out of full tanks, but well, if it gets too low, I get a bit shifty. The good news on that is that, well, I never get a dry hit, the bad news is when I sit down to fill something, I usually wind up filling up a lot of "half full" things.

I guess it's preference really but yes if you want to let a tank sit for any length of time, it's really best to remove, and ziplock baggie the coil, and clean the tank so that you are all good to go when you want to use it again.

I have dealt with the dreaded "tank coil and sludge" on occasion, and even though it feels like more work at the TIME it usually isn't and also I have just cost myself a coil and etc.

But, figure out what works best for you and etc.

Anna

Eskie

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2016
    NY
    Sorta two questions going on here. First is when to refill when vaping. A good practice is to not allow the juice level to fall below the top of the juice slots/holes/whatever on the coil and expose cotton. That provides the opportunity for a portion of that cotton to start to dry which will shorten its lifespan while giving you dryish hits you won't like.

For overnight storage you really shouldn't be getting leaking leaving on the mod. If leaving for several days you can always take the tank off and store it upside down. No leaking, but the cotton might be a little dry after sitting a while so treat it gently with some unpowered puffs and start with the wattage a bit lower than normal and ease it back into vaping over a bit of time.

Vaper12345678

Aug 26, 2018
    I don't vape down to the bottom then go back to the top of the slide then I do it again.....

I am one of those freaks who thinks I get a better vape when my tank is almost full. LOL, I don't know if I'm just inherently "greedy" and like to vape out of full tanks, but well, if it gets too low, I get a bit shifty. The good news on that is that, well, I never get a dry hit, the bad news is when I sit down to fill something, I usually wind up filling up a lot of "half full" things.

I guess it's preference really but yes if you want to let a tank sit for any length of time, it's really best to remove, and ziplock baggie the coil, and clean the tank so that you are all good to go when you want to use it again.

I have dealt with the dreaded "tank coil and sludge" on occasion, and even though it feels like more work at the TIME it usually isn't and also I have just cost myself a coil and etc.

But, figure out what works best for you and etc.

Anna
    Ok so you fill everytime you go below half tank but what if you want to stop and end your session There is half a tank e juice left how do you get rid of that? That was the paradox I was talking about

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    If I want to stop and end my session, well, IDK, it depends on how long I want to end my session usually if it's like a day, well, the ejuice is going to not go bad in a day. If I want to change flavors I just vape it down further. If I want to stash a tank or setup for awhile, sure, I'll aim for a moment where my eliquid is low, but I DIY so I don't fret overmuch about it, I mean, usually we're talking a lot less liquid to discard and it's less expensive.

I only get really irritated if I've filled up say, a 4.5 ml RTA with one of my favorite juices and the taste starts to go, and I have to discard everything but even then I am like, "Oh well." Etc.

You can vape your tank to pretty much empty using TC without fear of dry hits. I guess that would be an option if you have TC capable devices. You can also layer similar flavor profiles if you want to feel adventurous.

But stop vaping etc? I think it's fine if you are going to return to it in a few days, although the progression there if you don't clean your tank is gonna be, less flavor, eliquid turning to sludge, coil getting gunked, etc. So if you are ever like, headed to court and you think it won't go so well and etc., and you may have to "end" your session for awhile, I would recommend perhaps cleaning out your tanks.

There are also these handy dandy little syringes that you can pop into your tank and suck out all the eliquid and stash it somewhere (small mixing bottle, back in the juice, although personally I wouldn't try that approach although maybe keep it in a tiny bottle near your actual bottle because there is probably nothing WRONG with the juice but it has been vaped and heated and I'm not so sure I'd want to squirt that back into my large (as yet virgin) bottle of juice, but it's an OPTION etc.

Anna

Coyote628

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
    Sep 16, 2017
    If i leave juice in a tank im not using, which i usually do, its because im planning on cleaning it out in the future to use a different flavor when the mood strikes me. I mostly use rta's and an rdta now so it hurts nothing to leave it wirh some juice in til i want something different later on as im going to thoroughly clean and build new coils and wicks anyway. As far as filling, i top off when it looks low. Or even when i cant see much juice in the bottom. You'll figure out what works best for you by experimenting with it.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 25, 2014
    toledo ohio
    I don’t know where all this drama about how/when to fill tanks is coming from lately.

I leave whatever juice is in my tanks, not for a week or a month. If I’m not going to use that tank in a few days, I wash it out and leave it sit empty. Otherwise, I just fill it when it’s low, or before leaving the house. I tend to not let them get too low because I feel like they vape better at at least half full. And I tend to have five or six going at a time, maybe more, so some do just sit a couple days.

Am I missing something? Is someone out there saying you HAVE to vape it dry, or low, or not ever past a certain point?

Just fill the thing before you toast your cotton. It’s not brain surgery.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    I call it "EVA" or Early Vaping Angst.

My own personal "EVA" was TC, I sincerely felt that my non TC vapes were going to kill me. I'm fairly sure it motivated me (along with the FDA) to get into rebuildables early, not necessarily a bad thing, but that temperature thread had me totally FREAKED OUT.

The irony is that, while I use a lot of information from that thread to keep temps low (not chain vaping on one device, rotating setups, adding a little distilled water to my vapes, etc., and there is a NOTICEABLE difference, I use TC sporadically and more when I'm out and about with a few vapes only) because I rarely hit the TC ceiling I use when I use it, unless I'm driving or something and my MTL "ceiling" is ridiculously low.

I am also still alive and well but I'm calling this EVA.

Anna

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    I top mine off when the level approaches the lower part of the chimney. As Eskie said, if it gets below the wick feed holes around the bottom of the chimney you run the risk of burning the wick. Once that happens your vape starts to taste burned. You don't want that to happen.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 25, 2014
    toledo ohio
    @stols001 lol yeah, I had that too. I started with disposable clearos because everything seemed so confusing. What do you mean, I have to change the coil?!?! Finally the guy at my vape shop was like, “ no disrespect, ma’am, but you unscrew this thing, and screw another thing in. It’s not brain surgery.” And that’s when I bought my first tank lol. It was just a matter of someone showing me I was making too much of it. Which is so me.

SuZamme

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    I fill mine up when the ejuice gets close to the holes for the coils when I tilt it to vape.

I have 10 different ones going with different flavors and alternate all day depending on my mood for a specific flavor.

I currently use Triton Mini's, latest myBlu, Aspire Spryte, Nautilus, Nautilus Mini, and Aspire Plato. I also use a variety of power sources i.e. Aspire mini Pegasus, SMOK AL85, iStick Pico. Each gives a different quality of vape with the different juices.

santo19586

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2010
    Saint Cloud FL
    end session ? easy , I dump it out usually when i want to change my coil out or if i'm using the rta i use that opportunity to change out my wick. Re wick or change atty and add new flavor.
    I usually vape on two tank setups at at different times of the day , its because i wanna change up the taste of flavors ,
    Now if i am not going to use a certain tank for a few days , i just leave it in the tank stand.
    i'm vaping all day .
    i have been making my own juice for a long time now , ruff cost for 30 ml juice is like .25 cents , of diy. so if i gotta dump tank , no biggy

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread