Where does the Nicotine come from???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zal42

ECF Veteran
Jan 20, 2011
Oregon
Just wondering if the Nicotine in the majority of juices is synthesized (maybe not possible) or extracted from tobacco plants? Do we still indirectly support "Big Tobacco" when we vape?

It is possible to synthesize nicotine, however it's an expensive process and doesn't really get you anything, so it's not done much. Most nicotine is extracted from bulk, low-grade tobacco (not good enough to smoke). Properly done, the end result is as close to impurity-free as you can get synthesizing it.

Where the tobacco/extraction is done depends on the manufacturer. US manufacturers probably use US tobacco. So the short answer is yes, you're supporting bt, but not necessarily US bt. On the other hand, the bulk tobacco is not their high-profit stuff, so you're supporting them at a reduced rate.

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
You are supporting Chinese tobacco farmers. Large scale nicotine extraction is only done in a couple of places. The extraction done in the US is done mainly for the pharmaceutical industry and as far as I can tell, neither of the large companies that do it are in a position to ramp up production to support the blossoming e-cig industry. - You can bet they are looking at it, though.

I would be quite pleased to support independent US tobacco farmers. They get the same money for a bale of tobacco no matter if it is used for nic extraction or if it ends up in analogs. So, here's to hoping someone decides to take a risk and start extracting for the purpose of e-juice in the US.

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
Johnson Creek is surely coming from Wisconsin Havana. It's grown as chewing tobacco, and formerly as cigar wrapper, because its burning qualities weren't great due to low soil potassium. They've been growing Havana there since the 19th century. They save their own seed, both cooperatively and as individual farmers saving seed from prized plants.

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
It's coming from China !!! If not than someone please post a retailer or wholesaler who grows and extracts Nic here in the USA and sells it, either wholesale or retail for the ecig industry. Until I physically see this place I stick to my guns and say it is all coming from China or Belgium. Is there some that may be extracting some to use as flavorings, yes, but for 1000mg and selling it to juice houses or the public to purchase and cut NO, there just isn't, like I have said if there is someone please post where to purchase this Nic juice because no one has been able to do this so far.

ec!gg

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
www.ecigg.org
It's coming from China !!! If not than someone please post a retailer or wholesaler who grows and extracts Nic here in the USA and sells it, either wholesale or retail for the ecig industry. Until I physically see this place I stick to my guns and say it is all coming from China or Belgium. Is there some that may be extracting some to use as flavorings, yes, but for 1000mg and selling it to juice houses or the public to purchase and cut NO, there just isn't, like I have said if there is someone please post where to purchase this Nic juice because no one has been able to do this so far.

You are correct the NIC is still outsourced. Unless you are university or some high grade Pharm. lab you can not get nic in the US.

We from Philly too :)

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI

Entrepreneur devises 'smoke juice' concoctions that deliver nicotine at various strengths
e-mail print By Don Walker of the Journal Sentinel
June 20, 2010

Berkey went to work, testing various formulas and trying to improve the taste. That was in November 2007. By February 2008, he started to see some results. Two months and countless variations later, he found the formula he liked.

Unlike the Chinese version, which contains countless ingredients, Berkey's formula was simple, using only seven ingredients.

In July 2008, Berkey quit his job as a manager of an Apple retail store and took the plunge.

He started to talk about his product on online forums devoted to e-cigarettes. He offered consumers free samples. The feedback he was getting was good.

"They loved it," he said. "No one wanted to touch the Chinese stuff."

Electronic cigarette flavors are catching fire - JSOnline

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread