Where to start, squonking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
safe distance from a black hole
I guess I am looking for a good squonk kit recommendations.
A good single battery regulated device and single coil dl atty.
Nothing too expensive, just a good midrange combination to get started and experiment with.
I don't mind if it's an atty from one company and a mod from another.
Cheers

Edit to add that I generally vape using tc. Not sure if tc is applicable to squonking but if it is it would be my preference and would rather a mod that had that function.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: AngeNZ

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
Dovpo Topside with an Asmodus blank. Rda
Or
Eleaf Squeeze 2 with Recurve rda
Or
Any good clone rda, Haku Venna, Squi, KRMA, etc. etc.

Any of the RDA’s listed are decent single coilers, one doesn’t do any better than another on a specific mod.

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
For mods, I would agree with many of the choices above. In order of choice for me would be:

1) Pulse 80w or Pulse X
2) Topside
3) Pico Squeeze 2

I don't vape TC, all three mods above offer it, but they aren't DNA or YiHi quality TC. Folks that use TC seem to be ok with them though.

There are deals to be had on the OG Pulse 80w and the Pico Squeeze 2. Breezy may still have the Squeeze 2 in stock, they were practically giving it away near Christmas. I'm still using my first Pulse 80w that I got as soon as they were released. About 10 months now, and no issues. It's been dropped many times, still works and looks great. All three of the mods above will support use of 2x700 cells. Depending on your vaping style, it might be worth picking up a pair of quality 2x700 cells as well.

My main reason for preferring the Pulse over the Topside are the Pulse is very durable and drop resistant. Extremely light for carrying out and about. And it's able to be had for less than the Topside if you shop around. The Topside is solid, but a heavier device. Easy to refill, but it will run you a bit more than a Pulse. It has a great feel in the hand though if you don't like the boxy shape of the Pulse.

My favorite single coil RDAs for squonking are the Asmodus C4, Recurve, and the Nudge 22 in order of preference for me. An atty can be a very personal choice, the three above are my current favorites. Honestly, I've not tried many of the newer ones though. I've been really pleased with my setups since I settled on the three above.

Good luck, trying squonking was the best choice I ever made. Fell deep into the rabbit hole and never looked back. My non-squonk gear barely gets used these days. At first I kind of cringed over the investment I had in my 'other' gear, but I got over that pretty quickly.

Last edited:

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
For mods, I would agree with many of the choices above. In order of choice for me would be:

1) Pulse 80w or Pulse X
2) Topside
3) Pico Squeeze 2

I don't vape TC, all three mods above offer it, but they aren't DNA or YiHi quality TC. Folks that use TC seem to be ok with them though.

There are deals to be had on the OG Pulse 80w and the Pico Squeeze 2. Breezy may still have the Squeeze 2 in stock, they were practically giving it away near Christmas. I'm still using my first Pulse 80w that I got as soon as they were released. About 10 months now, and no issues. It's been dropped many times, still works and looks great. All three of the mods above will support use of 2x700 cells. Depending on your vaping style, it might be worth picking up a pair of quality 2x700 cells as well.

My main reason for preferring the Pulse over the Topside are the Pulse is very durable and drop resistant. Extremely light for carrying out and about. And it's able to be had for less than the Topside if you shop around. The Topside is solid, but a heavier device. Easy to refill, but it will run you a bit more than a Pulse. It has a great feel in the hand though if you don't like the boxy shape of the Pulse.

My favorite single coil RDAs for squonking are the Asmodus C4, Recurve, and the Nudge 22 in order of preference for me. An atty can be a very personal choice, the three above are my current favorites. Honestly, I've not tried many of the newer ones though. I've been really pleased with my setups since I settled on the three above.

Good luck, trying squonking was the best choice I ever made. Fell deep into the rabbit hole and never looked back. My non-squonk gear barely gets used these days. At first I kind of cringed over the investment I had in my 'other' gear, but I got over that pretty quickly.
Yeahsss, I've accepted that if I enjoy squonking I may end up with a bunch of dl rta's I might never use. They can go with all the mtl tanks and rta's that I don't use anymore. :oops::blush:;)
I'e been looking at the vv pulse 80 and Pico. Therye kinda the first ones to come up in searches.

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
Yeahsss, I've accepted that if I enjoy squonking I may end up with a bunch of dl rta's I might never use. They can go with all the mtl tanks and rta's that I don't use anymore. :oops::blush:;)
I'e been looking at the vv pulse 80 and Pico. Therye kinda the first ones to come up in searches.
The only major difference between the Pulse 80 and Pulse X is you'll want the X if you plan on using 21700 batteries. You can get the latest firmware for the Pulse 80w to make it equal with the Pulse X otherwise.

If the 21700 capability isn't important to you, you may be able to find a better deal on the Pulse 80. I usually vape at 32w or less, so I'm using the Sanyo 20700B with the Pulse 80. If you vape higher wattages, might be worth going to the Pulse X and using the Samsung 40T for a 21700. Although the Sanyo 2070C is beginning to become available (30A, 3500mah I believe), this is better rated than the Sanyo 20700A.

I like the Squeeze 2 as well, the side fire button takes a bit of getting used to, it's also heavier than the Pulse. So if you want something light (and durable), consider the Pulse/Pulse X. If weight doesn't bother you, the Squeeze 2 and Topside are excellent choices as well.

Honestly, you can't go wrong with an of those three in my opinion. I like all of them, but for out and about, I definitely prefer the Pulse for it's low weight and durability. I know it looks like cheap plastic, but I've dropped mine many times on concrete, no issues with it at all. The doors may pop off, battery roll away, and I've even lost drip tips during drops, but the mod itself is still solid.

The Topside is very easy to refill and has 10ml capacity though. Lots of decisions. Maybe just pick based on which features matter most to you. I ended up with all three of them, and have both versions of the Pulse. This way I have 21700 capability with the Pulse as well.

SonnyCooL

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2018
The only major difference between the Pulse 80 and Pulse X is you'll want the X if you plan on using 21700 batteries. You can get the latest firmware for the Pulse 80w to make it equal with the Pulse X otherwise.

If the 21700 capability isn't important to you, you may be able to find a better deal on the Pulse 80. I usually vape at 32w or less, so I'm using the Sanyo 20700B with the Pulse 80. If you vape higher wattages, might be worth going to the Pulse X and using the Samsung 40T for a 21700. Although the Sanyo 2070C is beginning to become available (30A, 3500mah I believe), this is better rated than the Sanyo 20700A.

I like the Squeeze 2 as well, the side fire button takes a bit of getting used to, it's also heavier than the Pulse. So if you want something light (and durable), consider the Pulse/Pulse X. If weight doesn't bother you, the Squeeze 2 and Topside are excellent choices as well.

Honestly, you can't go wrong with an of those three in my opinion. I like all of them, but for out and about, I definitely prefer the Pulse for it's low weight and durability. I know it looks like cheap plastic, but I've dropped mine many times on concrete, no issues with it at all. The doors may pop off, battery roll away, and I've even lost drip tips during drops, but the mod itself is still solid.

The Topside is very easy to refill and has 10ml capacity though. Lots of decisions. Maybe just pick based on which features matter most to you. I ended up with all three of them, and have both versions of the Pulse. This way I have 21700 capability with the Pulse as well.
unfortunately i have totally opposite story than yours, i had the famous New Coil Old Coil issue (google), 510 leaking (that kill my board) and with less than 3 month (not as my daily device, means usage should be a lot shorter) it died of completely ....
Vandy Vape pulse 80w.

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
unfortunately i have totally opposite story than yours, i had the famous New Coil Old Coil issue (google), 510 leaking (that kill my board) and with less than 3 month (not as my daily device, means usage should be a lot shorter) it died of completely ....
Vandy Vape pulse 80w.
Understood my friend, I recall you posting about this in one of the Pulse threads.

All manufacturers have some duds and occasional QC issues. VV is not a high end product and for the number of devices they've sold, my guess is you were one of the folks that may have gotten a bum device and had a bad experience. Many of us are really pleased with ours though.

I found the Pulse 80w on sale, I think I have 10 more of them in the vape closet in all honesty. And I have probably 5-6 of the Pulse X. As far as I'm concerned, they are a daily use device for me. If/when my current one dies, I'll pull another out of the closet. Hoping they are all as reliable as my first one continues to be, but it's possible I have a dud(s) in my collection as well.

For a person starting out with squonking, it's a friendly, durable and light device. I like my other squonkers as well, but typically it's always the Pulse that leaves the house with me. I've never dropped a mod when at the house (yet), but when I'm in the car, I tend to foget I've set it in my lap when driving and tend to drop it on the pavement when getting out of the car. For some reason, I never learn. The Pulse has taken this like a champ, not sure my other devices would tolerate that. :)

As sad as it is, I think I've dropped it twice already in the just the last week. No telling how many times it's happened since I first started using it in April of last year.

Last edited:

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
I went with the pulse x kit.
Been vaping on it for 15mins in wattage mode. I prefer the see through cap just for more airflow.
Coil build/ install was easy and wicking is very easy.
Just playing around with keeping the wicks saturated to the right amount.
I'm vaping unflavored vg/nic/dw and the sweetness of the vg is coming through clearly. That bodes well for flavoured juices.
I would still prefer a single coil atty but later when I start playing with tc I might change my mind.
Thanks all for the recommendations.

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
TC is okay. I think it might run a bit warmer than the read out suggests but I'm still just starting to play with it. Even if this is as good as it gets I can work with it no problem at all.
I emptied out the unflavored juice and am using a Heisenberg. Trying the flavoured juice really made it clear what the advantages of squonking are over the rta's I've been using, absolute ease of wicking and great flavour.

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
I think I've been converted.
LOL, it didn't take me long either. One thing I wish I would have done, was stop buying non-squonk gear once I was converted. Still couldn't resist picking up new gear that I would have liked before converting, but honestly, most of it sits, still new in the box. I'm planning on keeping it for the vapacolypse, but it won't get used if I have squonk gear that is treating me well.

Glad to hear you're enjoying it so far. Once you get settled in, pick up an RDA or two that look appealing to you and give them a shot. Honestly, I can get a decent vape from almost any RDA, but finding that one that's just right is amazing. I'm a single coil guy, that never changed. It took trying a good number to find a few favorites though.

I've honestly got enough squonk gear to get me though my 'end of days', but I still keep an eye on things and like to try something new here and there. I'm just much more selective these days about what I buy since I'm really pleased with my current gear.

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
LOL, it didn't take me long either. One thing I wish I would have done, was stop buying non-squonk gear once I was converted. Still couldn't resist picking up new gear that I would have liked before converting, but honestly, most of it sits, still new in the box. I'm planning on keeping it for the vapacolypse, but it won't get used if I have squonk gear that is treating me well.

Glad to hear you're enjoying it so far. Once you get settled in, pick up an RDA or two that look appealing to you and give them a shot. Honestly, I can get a decent vape from almost any RDA, but finding that one that's just right is amazing. I'm a single coil guy, that never changed. It took trying a good number to find a few favorites though.
Yes, even though Im enjoying this dual coil set up I think a good single coil rda will be more my thing.
Im going through the rda's listed in this thread and checking them out.

Reactions: Eskie

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
TC is okay. I think it might run a bit warmer than the read out suggests but I'm still just starting to play with it. Even if this is as good as it gets I can work with it no problem at all.
I emptied out the unflavored juice and am using a Heisenberg. Trying the flavoured juice really made it clear what the advantages of squonking are over the rta's I've been using, absolute ease of wicking and great flavour.
The ease or wicking and great flavor were the same reasons I instantly became a Squonk fan. It would drive me nuts wicking an rta and filling only to find I needed more/less wicking because the rta was leaking/dry hitting. All my rta’s have been retired except for my gasmods gr-1 which I use to test my diy creations because it provides excellent flavor. I also use several wotofo profiles because mesh gives great flavor and is easier to wick not having to thread the rayon thru the center of the traditional coils. Mesh ramps up instantly and has huge surface area which makes the flavor excellent. I still use a couple drop-in coil tanks,which with these new mesh coils can rival rda’s, just for the convenience.

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
Is it common to use a lot more juice squonking than with a similar build and similar watts in a rta?

I usually use about 3ish ml a day Ive done 18ml since I got this thing. approx 30hrs ago. Am I doing it wrong!!
Sounds to me like you're enjoying your vape more, LOL.

I honestly don't think you would be using more juice, all factors being equal. Question is what's different? I mean, if you have the same build, and you vape the same wattage, same frequency, similar pulls, etc, it should be the same. The ejuice doesn't just evaporate on it's own, right?

That said, I've heard so many times, things like 'that's a thirsty tank', etc. To me, it's more the build and your vape style.

However, I built my Zeus single a few weeks ago, same exact flat coil I use in my RDAs all the time. Same resistance, similar wattage, blah, blah.

I usually vape around 10-12ml/day for DTL with my squonk RDAs. I tell you what, I EASILY went through over 20ml/day with the same build in the Zeus. Seemed like I was constantly filling the Zeus and couldn't keep up.

Something is different somewhere, but I'm scratching my head.

Jet Knight

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2013
Gotham
I went with the pulse x kit.
Been vaping on it for 15mins in wattage mode. I prefer the see through cap just for more airflow.
Coil build/ install was easy and wicking is very easy.
Just playing around with keeping the wicks saturated to the right amount.
I'm vaping unflavored vg/nic/dw and the sweetness of the vg is coming through clearly. That bodes well for flavoured juices.
I would still prefer a single coil atty but later when I start playing with tc I might change my mind.
Thanks all for the recommendations.

IMO, I good choice for a Squonk kit. The Pulse X Kit is still my main squonking device/setup that I use when I go on outings. It is durable, fairly easy to build on, good flavor, and doesn't weigh down my pockets. I have been using tanks lately and Aegis mods has been my go to for outdoor vaping, but for Squonks, it's still The Pulse 90 with the Pulse X.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
If you really like squonking and you're comfy with a mech, a mech squonk is a perfect vapocalypse item. They're mostly single battery, but if you use a single coil 22 mm flavor banger like a Venna you can do great without fancy builds, keep your resistance rational, and get an amazing flavorful vape. For clouds not so much.

And a beefy dual coil can work, but you need to watch your resistance and allow for ramp up times in your builds just like any other mech. The good part is if you ever make a mess with your squonk bottle or oversquonking clean up is a snap, and no electronics to worry about. It's about the only time I ever use a mech.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread