Best Squonk Mod RDA Combo For A Beginner (To Squonking)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
A friend of mine is struggling to quit smoking. I want to help him quit cigarettes so I offered to introduce a new squonk mod to him as a gift, hoping that it will encourage him to cut down or even quit.

The squonker should be Regulated, a must. It should also be one that takes 18650's (without an adapter) being that he doesn't have a charger for 20700 or 21700 batteries. It doesn't need to be a high end device.

As far as the RDA is concerned I'd prefer if it comes with the mod, one that can take a single coil and one that is hard to over-squonk. The build I'll put in the RDA will probably be a Nicrome Fused Clapton (single coil) and would run at about 30-40 Watts with 12mg juice.

I really hope that this works out well for my friend, a good means to help him quit. I figured that being that he has dripped for a while and used rta's (but I would build and wick), a squonk mod setup may solve his issues with cigarettes. Money is an issue for him so I would do anything to help.

Thanks in advance for your great suggestions.
Got one more thought that may be a money saver but it’s predicated on what equipment he currently has, which leads the big question:

What equipment does this guy currently got?

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I'll second the reservation on the Topside. It's a great squonker, love mine, but it's not cheap. I'd hardly regard it as a "give this a shot" mod unless you have deep pockets.

It does have the best adapter for 18650s on the market too. I use it in other mods when I'm short a charged 21700 and it fits in all.

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
A friend of mine is struggling to quit smoking. I want to help him quit cigarettes so I offered to introduce a new squonk mod to him as a gift, hoping that it will encourage him to cut down or even quit.

The squonker should be Regulated, a must. It should also be one that takes 18650's (without an adapter) being that he doesn't have a charger for 20700 or 21700 batteries. It doesn't need to be a high end device.

As far as the RDA is concerned I'd prefer if it comes with the mod, one that can take a single coil and one that is hard to over-squonk. The build I'll put in the RDA will probably be a Nicrome Fused Clapton (single coil) and would run at about 30-40 Watts with 12mg juice.

I really hope that this works out well for my friend, a good means to help him quit. I figured that being that he has dripped for a while and used rta's (but I would build and wick), a squonk mod setup may solve his issues with cigarettes. Money is an issue for him so I would do anything to help.

Thanks in advance for your great suggestions.
Don't give him a squonker. It'll drive him nuts. Better give him an AIO with replaceable heads. It'll warm him to vaping. My recommendation is any of the Cascade mods.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
A voopoo Drag with the obs engine 2, goon 1.5 & tsunami rda, 2 smok nords.

If he's already using a Goon and a Tsunami are you sure a single coil rda is the way to go? Those have lots of airflow, not like most single coil rdas. I'm trying to think of one that would match but I'm struggling, so someone help out here. The Citadel the Squeeze 2 comes with won't compete with the airflow and cloud of those attys.

EIHYPI

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2017
If he's already using a Goon and a Tsunami are you sure a single coil rda is the way to go? Those have lots of airflow, not like most single coil rdas. I'm trying to think of one that would match but I'm struggling, so someone help out here. The Citadel the Squeeze 2 comes with won't compete with the airflow and cloud of those attys.
He understands that all he needs to do is raise the nic level.

EIHYPI

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2017
Don't give him a squonker. It'll drive him nuts. Better give him an AIO with replaceable heads. It'll warm him to vaping. My recommendation is any of the Cascade mods.
My apologies. When I said "beginner" in the thread title I meant someone new to just the idea of squonking. He's been vaping for a while though and has been dripping for a while too.

Reactions: ShowMeTwice

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
I always follow mooch for battery recommendations myself.

@bombastinator and @HigherStateD just a courteous FYI Mooch does recommend that exact battery. So all is well in batteryland.

Unless of course my reading and comprehension skills have slipped some...could be, but not yet. ;)

Good luck squonk hunting. :D

Yes, a rabbit hole I've thought about and I know me well enough to know I would go far!
Trying to ignore the urge for now but also thanks for the suggestions (which I've noted).

Edit: My apologies and my mistake. I am sorry it is I who got it wrong and more than willing to admit it!

Attachments

• -1.jpg
    -1.jpg
    992.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
High Desert, CA
So I believe I'm going to get him the pico Squeeze 2, along with 2 21700 batteries. Being that the mod charges the batteries with a 2A current I think he'll be doing just fine with the option to use the adapter.

The Pico Squeeze 2 is a good choice for an inexpensive introduction to squonking. The Coral 2 RDA is actually quite good too with a deep juice well, good flavor, and a single coil design. Plus the Squeeze 2 is inexpensive and built like a tank. It is quite heavy, at least it surprised me with the weight, but it is very durable as a result.

With being able to use 18650 or 2x700 cells it fits the criteria you listed, so a good choice all around. If your going to get bigger cells for this device, I would recommend looking at the 21700s instead of the 20700 cells for the mah increase if he is going to be using this device at relatively moderate power levels of 45 watts or lower. If he is intending to use this mod at high level power then a single battery mod would not be the best choice. A good battery for a moderate wattage vaper is the Samsung 40T (21700) at 4000mah, but be sure to buy them from a quality vendor from Mooch's vendor list. Just too many fakes or re-wraps out there to take a chance.

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
I think the battery I got is slightly different than the one mooch recommended, his didn't say molicel on the wrap. And has a different code on the second line. They do hit harder than my mxjo though. As for the topside, I can't speak to how it compares with other squonkers, but for 20$ more, I'd get it again, if I wasn't waiting on the carbon.

Reactions: ShowMeTwice

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
@bombastinator and @HigherStateD just a courteous FYI Mooch does recommend that exact battery. So all is well in batteryland.

Unless of course my reading and comprehension skills have slipped some...could be, but not yet. ;)

Good luck squonk hunting. :D

Yes, a rabbit hole I've thought about and I know me well enough to know I would go far!
Trying to ignore the urge for now but also thanks for the suggestions (which I've noted).

The question on whether that's the battery Mooch tested isn't clear. It looks similar but the markings don't match. Also no battery in the 18, 20x series we use provide a 35A CDR. Even the one Mooch tested came in a 30A, pretty much the best you can get these days. Note that for use around 45W, a 30A cell isn't needed and you're sacrificing capacity for a higher CDR than you actually need.

My apologies for earlier calling the Squeeze rda the citadel. It is the Coral 2 as @Jazzman accurately identified.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
I think the battery I got is slightly different than the one mooch recommended, his didn't say molicel on the wrap. And has a different code on the second line. They do hit harder than my mxjo though. As for the topside, I can't speak to how it compares with other squonkers, but for 20$ more, I'd get it again, if I wasn't waiting on the carbon.

You are correct.

Please accept my humble apologies for my mistake.

I admit it...my reading and comprehension skills have slipped! :confused: Must be the green juice.

Peace :)

EIHYPI

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2017
So I ordered 2 Pico Squeeze 2 kits, one for for my friend and one for me along with the Samsung 40T's. I hope this helps my friend quit. I'm hoping but even if he won't quit at least I'm doing what I can to help him out. I've known this guy for a while and I don't do this for most people but he's my buddy. Watched each others ups and downs you know, for years and it makes me happy to do a close friend a favor like this.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
Better watch out or you'll end up ordering things in your sleep and then forgetting you ordered it and what it's for. Really, I know someone who did that :D
I saw that thread and loved it! Next time surprise order something for me and I'll PayPal you!;)
$100 o-ring sounds like a DOD purchase at our expense.

• Love
Reactions: Anise

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
My apologies. When I said "beginner" in the thread title I meant someone new to just the idea of squonking. He's been vaping for a while though and has been dripping for a while too.
But as long as I understand from your post, you built the RDA for him. I mean, it's fine if it's ok with you, but motivation lacking is bad policy. Unless elderly or disabled, the easiest route to success is to let each person learn on their own. I don't build things for my husband, he has learned and now builds himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread