Status
Not open for further replies.

dc99

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 17, 2014
earth
I rarely recommend the kits. I like the idea of getting a few recipes you seem to like and get the flavors from that. I would use Nicotine River - Liquid Nicotine - Vegetable Glycerin to start since you can get everything from one place. I highly suggest simple recipes to start. 1,2 or 3 flavors. Just my opinion. Thats how I started

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
Yes Nicotine River is a good site. But start off slow....Just get some flavors that have good reviews and sound like something you would like. Then mix them as solo flavors for start off. Start with lower percentage like 5 or 6% to test in small batches like 10 ml at a time.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
I never did kits but the place I go for best prices that has everything is nicotine river. Just get some nic base that has the nicotine level you are looking for and flavors, oh and bottles. That’s a good start, I just get 24mg nic base and dilute it down with my flavoring. Takes it down to around 20mg’s or so. There are other ways of mixing, much more precise ways you can try but I can’t help you there. I keep it easy but it depends on how accurate you want your juices to be. Once I find what I like I just paint a line around the bottle to the level I have to add the flavoring and fill the rest with my base. Viola I’m vaping, I only vape 1 juice and I don’t switch very often so this process works for me. I’ve only vaped two flavors in the last five years so if you switch flavors a lot you may want to mix differently than I do. Good luck and making your own juices is definitely the way to go. Much cheaper and being able to control everything is nice.

dannieboiz

Feb 14, 2014
United States
In my cart, I have the following. with flavors based on a recipes that is a copy cat of some of the juice I'm vaping now. Is this a good start?

• syrgines
  • 100Mg 60ML VG Nicotine (I vape 3MG)
  • Flavor Apprentice: all in 4oz
  1. Sweet Tea
  2. Dragon Fruit
  3. Rassberry
  4. Strawberry
  5. Mango
  6. Papaya
  7. Sweetener
  • PG - 1liter jug
  • VG - 1 Liter jug
  • 2 x glass beaker
  • Gloves
  • 4 60ml glass bottles
Talking to a friend who also mixes, he recommeded that I get a scale and that a .01g isn't needed for larger qty so I went ahead and got a scale that meausres to .1g only. For testing, I will be using the syringe to find the flavors I like then mix 60-120ML batches.

Reactions: stols001

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
In my cart, I have the following. with flavors based on a recipes that is a copy cat of some of the juice I'm vaping now. Is this a good start?

• syrgines
  1. Sweet Tea
  2. Dragon Fruit
  3. Rassberry
  4. Strawberry
  5. Mango
  6. Papaya
  7. Sweetener
  • PG - 1liter jug
  • VG - 1 Liter jug
  • 2 x glass beaker
  • Gloves
  • 4 60ml glass bottles
Talking to a friend who also mixes, he recommeded that I get a scale and that a .01g isn't needed for larger qty so I went ahead and got a scale that meausres to .1g only. For testing, I will be using the syringe to find the flavors I like then mix 60-120ML batches.
Starting with 4oz of flavorings you don't even know if you like them or not? Use sample sizes to start.
And if you use weight then you do need that .01g scale if you are trying to add a flavoring less than 1% or so. You may not always want to make larger batches and you really should not until you find what it is you like. I think you need to slow down a bit and probably read a little more around the DIY forum before jumping in with the large of a purchase.

just my 2 pennies.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there

• syrgines
  1. Sweet Tea
  2. Dragon Fruit
  3. Rassberry
  4. Strawberry
  5. Mango
  6. Papaya
  7. Sweetener
  • PG - 1liter jug
  • VG - 1 Liter jug
  • 2 x glass beaker
  • Gloves
  • 4 60ml glass bottles
For testing you should really just start the recipes for like 10ml or so to find out if you even can like or vape them. Better to waste 10ml than 60

dannieboiz

Feb 14, 2014
United States
I'm not sure how much flavoring will be needed per mix but the price difference between 2 and 4 oz isn't much so I opted for that size. Beside, those fruit flavors are what I'd like in any of my mixes so I think I'm ok with purchasing a little extra. I already know that I will discontinue buying pre-made juice so DIY is the future for me.

I also 15ML bottles to the mix. I kept a bunch of 15ml glass bottles from my old juices so I can at least reuse those as well.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
I'm not sure how much flavoring will be needed per mix but the price difference between 2 and 4 oz isn't much so I opted for that size. Beside, those fruit flavors are what I'd like in any of my mixes so I think I'm ok with purchasing a little extra. I already know that I will discontinue buying pre-made juice so DIY is the future for me.

I also 15ML bottles to the mix. I kept a bunch of 15ml glass bottles from my old juices so I can at least reuse those as well.
But what you are missing here is this. Even tho each flavor maker makes these same types of flavors they do not taste the same. Each flavor maker adds what their version of something tastes like. An example would be that I have tried just about every vanilla and different versions of that and hated them all. It took me in like forever to finally find the ONE vanilla I was looking for and I have been DIYing for a very long time. This is why I caution you, what if TFA aren't the ones you are looking for and you end up not liking their version of the flavorings?

I just didn't want you to spend all this money and end up hating it and giving up. DIY should be and is a very fun part of the journey we call vaping but I have seen too many give up because they get frustrated.

dannieboiz

Feb 14, 2014
United States
But what you are missing here is this. Even tho each flavor maker makes these same types of flavors they do not taste the same. Each flavor maker adds what their version of something tastes like. An example would be that I have tried just about ever vanilla and different versions of that and hated them all. It took me in like forever to finally find the ONE vanilla I was looking for and I have been DIYing for a very long time. This is why I caution you, what if TFA aren't the ones you are looking for and you end up not liking their version of the flavorings?

I just didn't want you to spend all this money and end up hating it and giving up. DIY should be and is a very fun part of the journey we call vaping but I have seen too many give up because they get frustrated.

that makes perfect sense. So would 2oz still be too much in your opinion?

Reactions: stols001

dc99

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 17, 2014
earth
I would get the nic in PG base. Its easier to work with. I would add tfa strawberry ripe and cap sweet strawberry to that list. They will be used a lot. I would be willing to be that 90% of retail SB juices start with a base of Sweet SB and SB Ripe together. That list will get much longer as you go on. I have to agree with SAS on different flavors just work better from certain vendors. As you go along we will be glad to make recommendations on which are the best and from which vendor

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
Good advice so far, you may want to try each flavor separate in a small batch just to get an idea if you will like it or not before combining them in a mix. That way you can switch from ex. Mango tfa tastes bad so you try flavorwest mango instead. Just a suggestion if they’re all mixed and you don’t like it may be just one flavor, easy fix try another brand. Anyway kinda rambling now, good luck hope you make something delicious

dc99

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 17, 2014
earth
But what you are missing here is this. Even tho each flavor maker makes these same types of flavors they do not taste the same. Each flavor maker adds what their version of something tastes like. An example would be that I have tried just about every vanilla and different versions of that and hated them all. It took me in like forever to finally find the ONE vanilla I was looking for and I have been DIYing for a very long time. This is why I caution you, what if TFA aren't the ones you are looking for and you end up not liking their version of the flavorings?

Waving back at you. It took me a while.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there

Lets put it in perspective then. 4oz = 120ml
You say you want to make a recipe totalling 120ml so you will need a bottle to put it in.
Then you use a DIY calculator to figure out just how much of every thing you will need.

So if you are vaping 3mg(nic strength) you will need 3.6 ml of the nic base(100mg)
Then if your flavoring =10% then 120x.10 =12ml (that can be divided among all the flavors in your mix)
Then pg and vg make up the rest of the volume which will be approx 104.4 ml

So depending on the ratio you want of pg/vg and there you have it. Those 4oz bottles look pretty big.

And it will take you a lifetime to try and use up the sweetener .

hope this helps

:)

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
thanks guys, I went ahead and reduced everything down to the smallest available size. Any available coupon for Nic River at the moment? Shipping is free >$50 so I'm gonna keep it above that.

Good idea to get that free shipping cause if you don't shipping that nic is expensive. No coupon that I know of right now, but they do have sales around holidays.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Good idea to get that free shipping cause if you don't shipping that nic is expensive. No coupon that I know of right now, but they do have sales around holidays.

Do you need recommendation of a diy calculator? Most of them are free and very good. There are a few that cost a couple bucks but I don't find them any better than the free ones.

dannieboiz

Feb 14, 2014
United States
Do you need recommendation of a diy calculator? Most of them are free and very good. There are a few that cost a couple bucks but I don't find them any better than the free ones.

You know what's funny, I've had a calculator on my phone since forever but never get to use it, if you got a good easy to use one, I'd rather get first hand recommendation than exploring new ones on my own.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
You know what's funny, I've had a calculator on my phone since forever but never get to use it, if you got a good easy to use one, I'd rather get first hand recommendation than exploring new ones on my own.
There are a couple of different kinds. Online ones like E-Liquid recipes. is a great one. They allow you to input all of your flavors and they keep track of what you have and when you use it in a recipe it deducts it. Allows you to also put in cost too. And you can do a search asking what recipes can you make with the flavors you have input. Keep this one in mind for further down the road, I love it. And its free. If you find it useful, the guy accepts donations, but its not required.

Another online calculator is here
eJuice Calculator 4.0 | EcigExpress Archive Cookbook
it allows you to only print but is easy and quick. Let me know if you need help figuring it out.

There is another one here you can download from here. Its an excel version.
Look for any of Scubabatdan postings and in his signature line is the latest version.

Ejuice calculator (added quantity calculations)

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread