Status
Not open for further replies.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
Get a bunch of 10 ML bottles of flavors to try out. Small quantity if you don't like the flavor no big deal. If you do like it you can order more in larger size. A 10 ml bottle will go further than you think. Most flavors are under 10% to use.

Also if you are using syringes, get the nic in PG or a very large size needle. VG is thick and hard to draw thru a needle.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
@dannieboiz -

Looks like you're going to be off to a good start for the most part, especially with your primary (main) flavorings, your nic base, PG, and VG. You'll probably find out though, when you look at recipes you'd like to make...that you'll also need additional flavorings that are the secondary ones or "blenders", in most recipes. They're ones like these from TFA or other brands: Marshmallow, Vanilla Swirl, Sweet Cream, Bavarian Cream, Meringue, Vanilla Bean Ice Cream, Whipped Cream, or others. Accent flavorings are used in quite a few, too. Examples of those are: Sweetener (you got it on your list), Sweet & Tart, Koolada or Menthol, Acetyl Pyrazine (gives a nutty taste), Smooth (cuts out harshness), etc.

All of us started out as beginners to DIY, and learning about it is definitely an on-going process. Most of us are still learning about new tips, techniques, new flavorings and recipes, etc. even after several years of doing DIY. I know I read, read, and read some more on here, took notes, C&P recipes that sounded great, and soaked up as much as I could about DIY...for months before and after I first started it. I still learn things all the time from the other members on here who DIY. It can definitely be fun, cost-saving, and a very gratifying feeling to DIY and like what you end up with!

Some
who are new to DIY though, unfortunately get frustrated with it because they expect "instant" high-quality results, without first learning a lot that's necessary. Most of them aren't very willing to accept advice or recommendations from others either. Those are almost like trainwrecks that many of us can see coming!

You seem to be "a DIY newbie" who's going along a good path though, based on your posts in this thread. :thumbs:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Get a bunch of 10 ML bottles of flavors to try out. Small quantity if you don't like the flavor no big deal. If you do like it you can order more in larger size. A 10 ml bottle will go further than you think. Most flavors are under 10% to use.

Also if you are using syringes, get the nic in PG or a very large size needle. VG is thick and hard to draw thru a needle.

^^^^^
Winner! 10ml is a good size to try with any flavor. If you like it you can buy 30ml or more the next time. There will always be flavors you thought you'd like that weren't what you expected, especially the same flavors from different companies. One company's flavor will always suit your taste better.

If you use glass Boston Rounds bottles you'll need blunt tipped needles for transferring juice from your mix bottles to an atomizer for steeping tests. I keep 12ga, 14ga, and 16ga gauge Luer lock needles around. 12ga and 14ga is good for really thick juices. 16ga is good for drawing juice from a mix bottle for filling atomizers during steeping. Luer Lock needles have quick disconnects that let you pop off a needle quickly and use it on a different size syringe.

Mixing by weight only runs the cost up by $30 or less and it's convenient to put a bottle on the scale and add ingredients while taring (zeroing) the scale between pours.

Last edited:

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
I'd like to start making my own juice. Is it worth getting a start kit from a vendor or just buy what I need separately?
What's the best place to buy them? If you got a specific kit in mind, please share. Thanks
(To mix with syringes only):
5x and/or 30 or 60 ml. Plastic drip bottles
10x 5 ml. Plastic drip bottles
10x BD 1 mL Tuberculin Syringe Slip Tip
1x 30 mL Syringe Slip Tip
1x 3 mL Syringe Slip Tip
10x 18 Gauge blunt needles --1-1/2 Inch Length
Optional 5,10 ml. Syringe Slip Tip

Not a fan of Luer lock. I find by using a slip tip (no needle required) on the syringe is just fine for VG dispensing.
The 18 ga needles are fine for dispensing flavor and never need Luer lock.

Purchase: PG + VG + Nic.

Could look at these sites:
Blunt Tips
Syringes without Needle ON SALE Oral, Monoject, Luer Lock, Syringe Selection Guide, Syringe Selection Criteria, Choose the Right Syringe,

diy_beginners_guide - DIY_eJuice

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
I have a bag of needles and one once, then moved on to graduated cylinders. Point is don't a bunch of stuff you may not use for more than the first few weeks.
For me that is where the luer lock stoppers come in. Using those on the end of a syringe makes that syringe a graduated cylinder or all intents and purposes. I have all the sizes of syringes and the 'one size' luer lock stoppers fits them all. I do have the graduated cylinders, but have maybe only used them once...for me just one more thing to wash.

LOL

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
For me that is where the luer lock stoppers come in. Using those on the end of a syringe makes that syringe a graduated cylinder or all intents and purposes. I have all the sizes of syringes and the 'one size' luer lock stoppers fits them all. I do have the graduated cylinders, but have maybe only used them once...for me just one more thing to wash.

LOL
Tried that method, epic fail. Kept pushing instead of pulling.:facepalm::lol:
Broke down and bought a scale. Now for single testers I use a one ml syringe, add dw then flavor and top with vg. I keep a separate syringe for nic.

Broke down and bought a scale. Now for single testers I use a one ml syringe, add dw then flavor and top with vg. I keep a separate syringe for nic.
I use both methods. Did you get a usb powered scale too, really helps.

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
I didn't read all of the responses in this thread so forgive me if this has been offered already.

I started by finding a highly rated clone recipe of one of my favorite juices and bought just the flavors needed to mix that. I mixed up 100mls when the supplies arrived, and fortunately it's become part of my daily rotation.

So - I buy flavors as needed for specific recipes rather than trying to randomly come up with stuff that is vapable. It has worked wonderfully for me up till now, and as my collection of flavors grows I have a great selection if I do feel creative or experimental.

Besides the flavors, all I have are some syringes, bottles, 100mg nic base and VG on hand.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
I mix by volume and do have a scale, but for me the volume works better. Prolly cause I already had a system in place.
Anyone who says they are pulling vg with a 14 gauge needle is fighting it the entire time and still never get what they need. Only time I use a needle is when I have a bottle with a small opening and when filling some of my tanks. Other than that like I said use the stoppers to shut off the needle end and pour to measure. Flavorings - depending on the ml needed for the mix determines which size syringe I use. On the 1 ml syringe no needle is needed, just pull up the plunger to fill the cylinder. Easy peasy.
I too keep my 'nic' syringe separate from my flavors one tho...

:)

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I mix by volume and do have a scale, but for me the volume works better. Prolly cause I already had a system in place.
Anyone who says they are pulling vg with a 14 gauge needle is fighting it the entire time and still never get what they need. Only time I use a needle is when I have a bottle with a small opening and when filling some of my tanks. Other than that like I said use the stoppers to shut off the needle end and pour to measure. Flavorings - depending on the ml needed for the mix determines which size syringe I use. On the 1 ml syringe no needle is needed, just pull up the plunger to fill the cylinder. Easy peasy.
I too keep my 'nic' syringe separate from my flavors one tho...

The reason I bought the scale is I finally have a few recipes that I'm willing to make larger batches of. 1ml is easy enough to use for testers. I used a needle once for vg and said never again! lol

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
The reason I bought the scale is I finally have a few recipes that I'm willing to make larger batches of. 1ml is easy enough to use for testers. I used a needle once for vg and said never again! lol
Always wait on the scale to catch up after adding ingredients. Its about 2-5 seconds behind when the drops hits the mix. Screwed me up a couple of times. LOL. Another reason it sits in my kitchen drawer.

Reactions: stols001

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    If you're mixing by weight, get a couple of funnels. I mix right into the bottles I'm going to save my juice.

A lot of vendors sell flavors in dripper bottles, so I don't use syringes. But, I do have disposable pipettes for the flavors that don't have those tips.

Maybe get a custard or two to mix with those fruits.

dc99

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 17, 2014
    earth
    I also use the LB-501. All my bottles either have a tip made into them or I bought caps for them (the larger bottles). There are only two sizes and the caps are cheap as dirt and re-usable. Twist Top Caps 20/410 Neck
    Twist Top Caps 24/410 Neck
    I just mix into the bottle. Nothing to clean up

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    I also use the LB-501. All my bottles either have a tip made into them or I bought caps for them (the larger bottles). There are only two sizes and the caps are cheap as dirt and re-usable. Twist Top Caps 20/410 Neck
    Twist Top Caps 24/410 Neck
    I just mix into the bottle. Nothing to clean up
    I mix in bottle for 15ml, but mixing in a 30ml chubby can be challenging, they tip pretty easily. I have some beakers to mix in on the scale. Hopefully I will be mixing 120-240ml glass bottles soon. I find the testers tedious, just not experienced enough yet to have developed any confidence.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    I mix in bottle for 15ml, but mixing in a 30ml chubby can be challenging, they tip pretty easily. I have some beakers to mix in on the scale. Hopefully I will be mixing 120-240ml glass bottles soon. I find the testers tedious, just not experienced enough yet to have developed any confidence.
    Gonna caution you on mixing in glass bottles. Especially if you cannot see in them to monitor the mix. Some mixes change color as they steep and the 120ml ldpe bottles that onestop sells are like $1 something. They come with caps so no worry there. Plus so much easier to shake than glass and you will be able to tell if pg/vg is mixed completely. I use these bottles to mix in and to fill my reg daily 30ml to dispense to tanks. And I keep the 120ml mixes in my fridge. My day bottles are at room temp in a kids craft like tool box that has a lid so they stay out of the light.
    just my 2 pennies.

eta
    plus ldpe bottles do not break.....imagine if you dropped your glass bottle what would happen. Not only do you have a mess to clean up but you have no juice to vape plus no bottle to mix another recipe in.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    Gonna caution you on mixing in glass bottles. Especially if you cannot see in them to monitor the mix. Some mixes change color as they steep and the 120ml ldpe bottles that onestop sells are like $1 something. They come with caps so no worry there. Plus so much easier to shake than glass and you will be able to tell if pg/vg is mixed completely. I use these bottles to mix in and to fill my reg daily 30ml to dispense to tanks. And I keep the 120ml mixes in my fridge. My day bottles are at room temp in a kids craft like tool box that has a lid so they stay out of the light.
    just my 2 pennies.

eta
    plus ldpe bottles do not break.....imagine if you dropped your glass bottle what would happen. Not only do you have a mess to clean up but you have no juice to vape plus no bottle to mix another recipe in.
    My orange concoctions need a very long steep, hence wanting to store them in 240ml bottles. For long steeps I just prefer glass. Wasn't planning on mixing in them. Once I find out the longevity some will be mixed by the liter. I know some of you love mixing but for me it's more a tool. I do however love coming up with recipes, just not mixing them.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread