Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
Using a mechanical mod with cartomizers at 1.8 rebuilds at no lower than 1.4

torn in the following batteries to buy
I would prefer flat top as my chi you clone doesnt close all the way with the button top.
my other mods are a poldiac clone and a private v2 clone.

any input or advice is helpful.
i dont plan on sub ohming. Just want long battery life and safety.

Panasonic Hybrid/IMR CGR18650CH Flat Top

AW IMR 18650 2000mAh

Panasonic High Drain NCR18650PD Hybrid 2900mAh Flat Top

I use all 3 of those batteries on a daily basis. I vape attys between 1.2-1.8 ohms absolutely no problem with any of them.

tayone415

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2013
CA
Using a mechanical mod with cartomizers at 1.8 rebuilds at no lower than 1.4

torn in the following batteries to buy
I would prefer flat top as my chi you clone doesnt close all the way with the button top.
my other mods are a poldiac clone and a private v2 clone.

any input or advice is helpful.
i dont plan on sub ohming. Just want long battery life and safety.

Panasonic Hybrid/IMR CGR18650CH Flat Top

AW IMR 18650 2000mAh

Panasonic High Drain NCR18650PD
Hybrid 2900mAh Flat Top

Looking at the batteries you listed and the shown specs that 2 out of the 3 batteries listed, I would go a different route, I would go with Sony's VTC5, since it has a 2600 mah battery which is larger than all the batteries you listed except for the Panasonic High Drain battery, the reason why is because the VTC5 has a continuous 30 amp power output and the Panasonic is only 10 amps pulsing power. I have 4 VTC5s and I usually sub ohms pretty low between .18-.36 ohms when dripping and my battery only gets warm, and never has gotten hot.

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
Would that help prevent electic using myself when my stupid coils short?
I have been shocking the crud out of myself, seems on occasion out of no where my perfectly coiled kayfun clone will short and i not realize it and i get zapped lol. I mean its not really funny.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

it would not save you from electrocution. it would, in theory, however, hold up better to your shorts than a lower rated battery. though, if you're shorting your gear often, i'd go another route than the vtc5's. reason being, the vtc5's tend to get super hot very fast under higher loads.

link _after_quote said:
Careful: in a continuous discharge, this cell will get extremely hot - up to 80°C at 20A, up to 125°C at 40A

sony vtc5 test page

Ladiekali

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Florida
The shocking just started happening. So I'm not real sure whats goin on. I generally use cartotanks. But i do have a kayfun and the dive i build around 1.6.

Im thinking its my mod. Its a chi you clone. The same tanks work fine on my provaris but electrocute me on the chi you.

I'm working on figuring this out. I need some mech mods for out and about. Right now i mostly use provaris, but need something that wont make me cry if i lose it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tayone415

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2013
CA
it would not save you from electrocution. it would, in theory, however, hold up better to your shorts than a lower rated battery. though, if you're shorting your gear often, i'd go another route than the vtc5's. reason being, the vtc5's tend to get super hot very fast under higher loads.

sony vtc5 test page

What was that test based on? Vaping or something else? I've only used VTC5s for sub ohm builds, and after chain vaping at .18-.22 ohms and taking the battery out right after to charge, I've so far only had warm batteries with the 4 I use, at first I thought the battery was getting hot, since the tube was very hot on my SS mod, but the battery was just warm, and on my copper mod obviously doesn't heat up as much as SS and never really had any heat issues yet.

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
What was that test based on? Vaping or something else? I've only used VTC5s for sub ohm builds, and after chain vaping at .18-.22 ohms and taking the battery out right after to charge, I've so far only had warm batteries with the 4 I use, at first I thought the battery was getting hot, since the tube was very hot on my SS mod, but the battery was just warm, and on my copper mod obviously doesn't heat up as much as SS and never really had any heat issues yet.

they're continuous discharge tests. not really relevant for a 5 or 10 second vape, but super relevant when you have a short in your pocket.

tayone415

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2013
CA
they're continuous discharge tests. not really relevant for a 5 or 10 second vape, but super relevant when you have a short in your pocket.

I've not had that issue in pocket yet, I'm pretty good with remembering to always lock my firing button. Luckily I've only been shocked a few times, but only with my SS mod, that I only use now for my genesis style tank at a higher ohm build.

I heard No OX ID helps, but not sure???

Last edited:

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN

dirty_luck

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2014
somewhere in the south
you mean ideal noalox? http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ideal-NOALOX-4-oz-Anti-Oxidant-Compound-30-026/202276208

it's good for electrical connections, but i believe more specifically aluminum connections. though, some of the folks here swear by it regardless what their batteries make contact with.

I swear by it. I use it on all my mods. Ss, copper, plated. It is more designed for aluminum and copper connections but it does work very well on the stainless steel threading as well. A little goes a long way and if you get to much you will know it, it will go from being buttry smooth threading to feeling resistance screwing things together. It does help with keeping things smooth though. Love that stuff.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Looking at the batteries you listed and the shown specs that 2 out of the 3 batteries listed, I would go a different route, I would go with Sony's VTC5, since it has a 2600 mah battery which is larger than all the batteries you listed except for the Panasonic High Drain battery, the reason why is because the VTC5 has a continuous 30 amp power output and the Panasonic is only 10 amps pulsing power.

You are wrong. The Panasonic NCR18650PD & NCR18650PF 2900mah have 10 amps maximum continuous discharge and 18 amps maximum pulse current. NCR18650PF 18650 Panasonic Rechargeable Li-ion Battery Flat Top

Unless doing sub-ohm builds, there is no need for a 30 amp battery. That is overkill. The Panasonic will last longer on a charge than the Sony due to its higher mah capacity.

Last edited:

tayone415

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2013
CA
I'll admit I made a type-o and put 10 amp pulsing instead of continuous output. From the links the OP listed one of the Panasonics listed was a 2250 mah rated battery, and I DID say in my reply that you quoted that the Panasonic High Drain battery did have a larger capacity. So what's your argument that 10 amps with 18 amps of pulsing power is better than having a continuous 30 amp battery, which would even add more of a safety cushion and options if she were to use a lower build in the future. And the 18 amps is at 4.2 V. The key word you obviously didn't read or understand was "except." Where exactly to you see that I said the Sony would last longer?

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
@tayone. I was only pointing out that you listed the Panasonic 2900mah batteries as having a 10 amp max pulse current, when they actually have an 18 amp pulse current. You already admitted your typo, so lets leave it at that.

If the OP leaves open the possibility of doing sub-ohm builds in the future, then yes the Sony is a better choice. If not, then the 2900mah Panny is a better choice over the 2600 mah Sony for longer battery time.

I'm all for safety cushions when using batteries. However, a 30 amp battery will go into thermal runaway just as easily as a 10 amp battery under the right conditions (dead short). There are no safety cushions during a dead short.

Last edited:

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
Unless doing sub-ohm builds, there is no need for a 30 amp battery. That is overkill. The Panasonic will last longer on a charge than the Sony due to its higher mah capacity.

the test results suggest that that may not be true. sony vtc5 / samsung 25R and panny ncr-pf voltage handling switch places somewhere just under the 3.45V mark. any remaining capacity after that in the panny isn't likely to be usable or in a mech mod, produce a desirable vape.

considering there's already a problem with possible shorting going on in the mod and the price of the batts is likely almost identical, why not get the battery that's going to be less stressed and hold it's voltage better throughout most of the day?

edit: sorry, see 2A discharge graph here... http://www.dampfakkus.de/akkuvergleich.php?akku1=498&akku2=490&akku3=523&akku4=&akku5=&akku6=&a=2

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread