Which battery is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anumber1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2014
NW Ohio
the test results suggest that that may not be true. sony vtc5 / samsung 25R and panny ncr-pf voltage handling switch places somewhere just under the 3.45V mark. any remaining capacity after that in the panny isn't likely to be usable or in a mech mod, produce a desirable vape.

considering there's already a problem with possible shorting going on in the mod and the price of the batts is likely almost identical, why not get the battery that's going to be less stressed and hold it's voltage better throughout most of the day?

edit: sorry, see 2A discharge graph here... AkkuDB

That is an interesting graph.

That Samsung looks like a pretty good battery!

Edit: better than the Sony @ 5A!

Last edited:

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Of the three batteries in the OP, I would have bet money that the NCR18650PD would win at 1.4 and 1.8 ohms for best run time and that the NCR18650B (not in the OP) would win over that.

I had some time on my hands tonight and I've been wondering about this myself lately, so I did a bit of digging around.

I use Dampfakkus.de for battery charts when I do look at them. Alexa rankings show they get a lot of hits and I have never found anything that indicated to me they were inaccurate. One nice thing is they have charts for all these batteries, with the same data done the same way.

Battery pages:

VTC5
NCR18650B
NCR18650PD
AW 18650 2000 mAh

All charts include the CGR18650CH so I included that data as well.

1.8 ohms at 4.0V is 2.22 amps.
1.4 ohms at 4.0V is 2.86 amps.

The charts give data at 2 and 3 amps, so that's what I used. I believe the data is collected by firing the batteries for 2 seconds at a time. I don't know how much off time is between firings.

Here's the data:

3166bdw.jpg

From this data, if you're going to be using a mech mod and swapping batteries at around 3.6V the VTC5 is the winner. The more amp draw you use, the more of an advantage you'll get.

Taking the voltage down to 3.3V as you could with regulated mods, it changes and both the NCR batteries win at 2A, it's a wash at 3A and I suspect at over 3A the VTC5 would win out. I have no idea how much influence regulator pulsing would have on this data.

If anyone catches any mistakes let me know and I'll update with corrections :)

Last edited:

tayone415

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2013
CA
I swear by it. I use it on all my mods. Ss, copper, plated. It is more designed for aluminum and copper connections but it does work very well on the stainless steel threading as well. A little goes a long way and if you get to much you will know it, it will go from being buttry smooth threading to feeling resistance screwing things together. It does help with keeping things smooth though. Love that stuff.

To be honest, IDK if that's the same thing or not, I was advised by one of my local B&Ms to get it, their website reads

No OX ID "A-Special" 2 oz
by Sanchem Inc

Special conductive grease for smoother threadings and lower voltage drop.

Appropriate for use on all mechanical mod metals, including Stainless Steel, Brass, Copper, Aluminum & Titanium.

They told me it would help with my mod heating up....

If it is the same, and sounds similar from your link, it's 2x as big and and almost half the price at Home Depot.

Last edited:

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
Of the three batteries in the OP, I would have bet money that the NCR18650PD would win at 1.4 and 1.8 ohms for best run time and that the NCR18650B (not in the OP) would win over that.

I had some time on my hands tonight and I've been wondering about this myself lately, so I did a bit of digging around.

I use Dampfakkus.de for battery charts when I do look at them. Alexa rankings show they get a lot of hits and I have never found anything that indicated to me they were inaccurate. One nice thing is they have charts for all these batteries, with the same data done the same way.

Battery pages:

VTC5
NCR18650B
NCR18650PD
AW 18650 2000 mAh

All charts include the CGR18650CH so I included that data as well.

1.8 ohms at 4.0V is 2.22 amps.
1.4 ohms at 4.0V is 2.86 amps.

The charts give data at 2 and 3 amps, so that's what I used. I believe the data is collected by firing the batteries for 2 seconds at a time. I don't know how much off time is between firings.

Here's the data:

3166bdw.jpg

From this data, if you're going to be using a mech mod and swapping batteries at around 3.6V the VTC5 is the winner. The more amp draw you use, the more of an advantage you'll get.

Taking the voltage down to 3.3V as you could with regulated mods, it changes and both the NCR batteries win at 2A, it's a wash at 3A and I suspect at over 3A the VTC5 would win out. I have no idea how much influence regulator pulsing would have on this data.

If anyone catches any mistakes let me know and I'll update with corrections :)

If you look at the actual voltage curves, the regulator would probably reduce if not eliminate or even invert the difference between the Panasonic and the VTC5 at the long end the curve. In other words the regulator would hit the battery harder because of the lower voltage throughout the early part of the curve, which would increase draw over the VTC5.

Huh. I didn't realize the VTC5 did this well, it may change some of my implementations. This page did not have the VTC5 listed earlier when I was doing comparisons, so I was comparing with other much more vague charts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread