Which battery??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Griego

Oct 26, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
I purchased a Kanger subox Nano Purple Starter kit and a IMREN IMR 18650 3.7V 3000MAH High drain Rechargeable Battery Max:40A

IMG_20151101_160309887.jpg

After doing some reading I understand that 18650 batteries are not rated above 30A (Correct?) I am concerned that this may not be a good battery to use. I am using the 0.5 Ohm coil and have the mod set @ 25W.

Here is the info on the subox Nano:

The Kanger SUBOX Nano kit does not include any battery or wall charger. It is the responsibility of the user to find a suitable 18650 battery and corresponding wall charger with cell output of 20A or above.

Would these batteries be better?

Efest IMR 18650 LiMn 3000mAh Battery - Flat Top - 20 Amp

LG HG2 INR18650 LiMn 3000mAh Battery - 20 Amp

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Reactions: danjaman

Griego

Oct 26, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Would be better if you expended some personal energy, and read some of this forum to learn a thing or two before asking for help.

a dozen or so 18650 batteries have been rated here

Yeah I see that ....thanks so much for being helpful

Is that you're normal response to someone asking a question in real life?

Griego

Oct 26, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Would be better if you expended some personal energy, and read some of this forum to learn a thing or two before asking for help.

a dozen or so 18650 batteries have been rated
It's subjective my man, gotta do the work

What's subjective? I'm not your man...WTF?

Griego

Oct 26, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
@BobC

Perhaps I wrote this wrong from the beginning.....After reading a lot on here and other websites for the first 6 hours this morning. It brought me to ask the question I did. I would have never brought up the question If I hadn't "expended some personal energy, and read some of this forum to learn a thing or two before asking for help". Upon reading several hours I came to ask the questions I did. Thank you @edyle for your quick responses.

BobC

Reformed Squonker
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2013
Downtown Charleston, SC
Not giving you a hard time, I say it's subjective because running at .5, you would be hard pressed to get passed 10 amp, so any 18650 presented here would be fine, so I'm not sure what you're asking here. Mooch has expended a huge amount of effort here to provide all you could be interested in in choosing an 18650 battery

Reactions: Mooch

Griego

Oct 26, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Not giving you a hard time, I say it's subjective because running at .5, you would be hard pressed to get passed 10 amp, so any 18650 presented here would be fine, so I'm not sure what you're asking here. Mooch has expended a huge amount of effort here to provide all you could be interested in in choosing an 18650 battery

My apologies than. It seriously came across like you were being an .... I read in mooch's blog (as well as other places today) that 18650 batteries can only ever be rated at 30A. Since the battery I have (see pic above) clearly says 40A my concern is that it is a battery that could pose problems. I just wanted to make sure that I was using a quality battery that would not be posing any issues.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Many companies erroneously label cells with exaggerated amp claims / marketing hype amp claims.
Because there are so many companies willing to print whatever sells on the wrap no way to be sure what the cell is actually capable of until independent testing takes place.
Your battery is likely, may be, 20a cdr, but, re read the previous sentence.
At the power level you mention (25w) it is likely safe.

It certainly would be a good idea to pick up some name brand & independently tested batteries.
Any of the 20a cdr or 30a cdr batteries in mooch's list will do well.
I would never recommend an efest battery, they are famous for over stating battery specs.

AW 3000mah 20a cdr
LG hg2 3000mah 20a cdr
Samsung 25r 2500mah 20a cdr
Samsung 30q 3000mah 20a cdr

dennism

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2015
Maryland
Many companies erroneously label cells with exaggerated amp claims / marketing hype amp claims.
Because there are so many companies willing to print whatever sells on the wrap no way to be sure what the cell is actually capable of until independent testing takes place.

It certainly would be a good idea to pick up some name brand & independently tested batteries.
I would never recommend an efest battery, they are famous for over stating battery specs.

AW 3000mah 20a cdr
LG hg2 3000mah 20a cdr

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
You come on here to ask a question, and you get a smart ... flip answer. I didn't know this forum was like this, I'll never ask a question.

I thought I gave you a polite answer.
If I didn't make it clear your Imren 40a isn't 40a, they are another marketing hype claim/rated company.

This forum isn't like 'this', there a few people like 'that' everywhere, don't let that sour your opinion of an entire forum filled with helpful friendly folks.

Reactions: Baditude

Griego

Oct 26, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Again, at a .5 ohm atty setup, why are you worried about 20,30 or 40 amps?

I guess my concern is that this battery is a counterfeit? I've read where batteries get relabeled. I just want to make sure I am using a reputable battery brand...purchased from a reputable store. I was under the impression that these batteries may not be exactly what they say they are. So if a 18650 battery could never actually be rated at more than 30A.....and mine clearly says 40A...who is to say it isn't actually 10A. I just want to make sure that the battery I am using is safe for the application I will be using it for.

Griego

Oct 26, 2015
Phoenix, AZ

AW 3000mah 20a cdr
LG hg2 3000mah 20a cdr

Thank you for the response

Griego

Oct 26, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
I thought I gave you a polite answer.
If I didn't make it clear your Imren 40a isn't 40a, they are another marketing hype claim/rated company.

This forum isn't like 'this', there a few people like 'that' everywhere, don't let that sour your opinion of an entire forum filled with helpful friendly folks.

@Topwater Elvis ...you were responding to a different user....not me. Thanks again for your response. I believe the other user was responding to how BobC responded to my initial question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread