Which Cartos For My Stingray?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed_C

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Seligman, MO
OK, here's the deal. I've been using smok pre-punched cartos with iTaste VV3s and they work great. I just purchased a Copper Stingray clone and I wanted to get some cartos without flanges so it would be flush and I was also afraid the flange would scratch up the top of the mod. I bought some Boge punched cartos and tried one on my new mod. I was not happy with it at all. There seems to be much less vapor production and it just seemed like it tasted funny. I went back to the smok cartos, but there's now a gap and the top of my mod is getting some light scratches. I would buy some IKenVapes Platinum cartos, but they are out of stock. The only other option I can think of is to buy some standard smok cartos and punch them myself. I've never tried this, so I'm not sure how it works, compared to the pre-punched cartos. Are there any options that I've missed or any comments?

Last edited:

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
The reason some cartomizers have a flange is so you dont have to worry about the space needed for air intake. Cartos need air to go into the device and into the tube or you get that bad taste. That is the filler burning. Unfortunately once a carto is getting off or burned taste it should be tossed. You can not have a gapless carto unless you get a special air control adapter or your PV has slotted top caps.

If you decide to get a tank it also will need to have a small gap for air intake or get a tank with air channels or slots on the bottom to channel in air.

I would suggest prepunced cartos to start with, and if you like you can later save money and punch them yourself.

Ed_C

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Seligman, MO
Thanks for your feedback. The Stingray has air channels. That was one of the reasons I chose that mod. Perhaps it still wasn't getting enough air flow. I did try and run the Boge with a gap after it was not working well, but perhaps I was too late and the carto was damaged. Maybe I'll give the Boge another try the next time I change the carto out.

BTW, I'm using a IBT.

Last edited:

OCD

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2012
California, Kern
www.ibtanked.com
Ed, do you have calipers? Wondering if you could get me measurements of the mods diameter and how much gap there is. I am thinkin there are a lot of these flat top mods out there that could benefit from a ring and if I can come up with something that looks nice and is not too much trouble to make maybe we can offer it. Of course a spacer wont do anything about the flange scratching the top of the device as it would just take up the space leaving the cartomizer in the same position.

Ed_C

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Seligman, MO
I don't have calipers, but I'm pretty sure the mod is 22mm. I'm using a 19mm tank that I had for my VV3, but I think I'm going to order a 22mm tank here in a bit. As for the gap, it's equal to the thickness of the flange and I think it's to small to use any sort of ring. I guess you could offer caps that are thicker and have a recess for the flange, but it's really not a big deal. It's just me being a bit OCD.;) You know about that, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread