Which mode (Power or TC) to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

impostor71

ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2009
Naperville, IL
Hi all,

I've recently made a return to vaping and have been using a joyetech AIO unit. I ordered a Cuboid Mini bc it seemed like a decent step up from the AIO. It'll be here this Saturday. I have some questions about using these adjustable mods, but I'm having a hard time finding answers. I'm hoping you folks can point me in the right direction toward a guide that I can read up for answers. So here goes...

When should I use the Power mode that allows wattage changes vs the temp mode?
What determines what wattage or temp to set? is it the coil, the VG ratio, or something else?

Thank you!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
What determines what wattage or temp to set? is it the coil, the VG ratio, or something else?
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but the mode you choose should be based on the wire material the coil is made from. Temperature Control mode requires Nickle Wire. Kanthal and Stainless Steel Wire require power or wattage mode.

Although my regulated mod has both Wattage/Power mode and TC (temp control), I've never used TC because I still have some concerns about the possible health risks of using Nickle Wire.

I can't speak for TC mode, but in Wattage/Power mode you should break a new coil/wick in slowly by using a lower power setting than you may normally use, and then gradually increase the wattage until you find your individual "sweet spot".

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
Welcome Back!

Ni, Ti coils MUST be used in TC mode. SS can be used in either, provided there's TC settings possibly available for it. Kanthal/NiCr would be in power mode.

Wattage in TC mode merely is the force that gets you to your set temperature. If you set for 450 degrees and you're at 20W, it would take longer to get to temp than if you set at 40W

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but the mode you choose should be based on the wire material the coil is made from. Temperature Control mode requires Nickle Wire. Kanthal and Stainless Steel Wire require power or wattage mode.

Although my regulated mod has both Wattage/Power mode and TC (temp control), I've never used TC because I still have some concerns about the possible health risks of using Nickle Wire.

I can't speak for TC mode, but in Wattage/Power mode you should break a new coil/wick in slowly by using a lower power setting than you may normally use, and then gradually increase the wattage until you find your individual "sweet spot".

I'm sure there are others who can speak to this more intelligently, but I don't think the "break in" is possibly as severe when running in TC. As long as the wick is primed well, you'd just hit your temperature sooner, and then the power would level to whatever would be necessary (despite your setting) to keep you at your set temperature.

I heartily concur on the Power setting ramp-up.

Regarding Ni/Ti coils - I use both occasionally. I don't set my temps all that high (I don't think I've ever exceeded 480F, especially on the Ni coils.) Some of my TC mods don't support SS. So, they just run in regular power mode.

I just think of TC mode as "Designer Vaping" ;)

Reactions: impostor71

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
once you get to your sweet spot, you just leave the wattage there right? I mean, you don't have to ramp up every vape session, right?
Yes, once you find your sweet spot (for a specific juice), just leave the wattage where you like it.

However, if you change juice you may need to experiment with the wattage. I like my fruits vapes cooler and my desert vapes warmer. Everyone has their own preferences.

Reactions: impostor71

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
Hi all,

I've recently made a return to vaping and have been using a Joyetech AIO unit. I ordered a Cuboid Mini bc it seemed like a decent step up from the AIO. It'll be here this Saturday. I have some questions about using these adjustable mods, but I'm having a hard time finding answers. I'm hoping you folks can point me in the right direction toward a guide that I can read up for answers. So here goes...

Thank you!

Nickel and Titanium coils should be used ONLY in TC MODE.

Kanthal should used only in power mode.

Stainless Steel coils can be used in both modes.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
once you get to your sweet spot, you just leave the wattage there right? I mean, you don't have to ramp up every vape session, right?

In my limited experience, I also do a short ramp up whenever I put in a new coil. Even with priming and a several minute soak before the first hit, I still prefer to start out a bit lower then get up to my "normal" sweet spot to avoid any dry or even not quite "right" hits. YMMV

dhood

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2014
Georgia
When I first experimented with TC, I got some titanium wire and it was an interesting experience. Not too bad, but I didn't have enough mods that could do TC so it was relegated to only one tank (I have over a dozen with different flavors in them). The experiment didn't last too long and I decided power mode was sufficient.

When they came out with TC for stainless steel, which could also be used in regular power mode, I decided to grab some SS wire and try again. I have two mods that can handle SS in TC mode (with custom TCR modes as well). The rest are straight wattage devices. It is nice to know I can grab any of my mods and power my tanks. I've actually gotten to like temperature control on the stainless wire. Wasn't a big fan before this but I can really dial in the flavor, cool or warm. And this is doing temp control on Kayfuns. I actually had a tank get to empty on me without realizing it. Never burnt the cotton. It just stopped producing vapor. Refilled it and kept going. Very nice. Over the past couple of weeks, I've converted all my tanks to SS coils.

Holly North

Moved On
Jan 28, 2016
London
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Spammer

coolerat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2015
Verona,NY
Often I look at TC and think whats the point these days??

Its a fun toy sometimes and can be dialed in but why was it even invented?? Because honestly with todays gear dry hits and burnt hits are a thing of the distant vaping past.

Then I recall why TC was even invented, the DNA 40 IIRC. These were the Kayfun days and massive dry hits were the order of the day for all but afew of the very softest tootlers. The average e-smoker was basically vaping burnt cotton.

So the quest was on and Evolve found a way. About the time the Kayfun question was solved modern subohm tanks came along with proper wicking that heavy smokers could hit without fear of dry/burnt. Bottom line is if you can't over run the wicks on a Kayfun your a light smoker/vaper. On the filp side if you can dry hit a subohm you a vaping beast and god help you.

Modern subohm vaping single handedily lead to the largest drop to cigarettes smoking either ever or a long time and either way since e-cigs were invented.

So the choice to use TC or not is not a huge factor really as long as one stays away from tanks likely to dry hit. TC can shoot some cloudz bro but seriously I can out cloud pretty much any TC mod/tank with kanthal and never even consider a dry/burnt hit. I'm typing this hitting a Boreas with kanthal with zero fear of a dry hit and a Kayfun Mini with a nickel TC build just waiting for that dry puff (with TC is not unpleasant just you don't get anything).

So to make a long answer longer TC can be fun but not for the reasons it was invented. I have a DNA 200 with my favorite juice set up in TC mode cause its fun but I can get the same vape 30 different ways without TC and NEVER consider a dry/burnt hit. At the same time I can run ANY Kayfun dry (except the K5 which is on the way) at anything with no effort simply by vaping like I smoked, HARD.

Reactions: Tonkpils

rice721

1.21 GigaWatts!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2016
Shanghai
Hi all,

I've recently made a return to vaping and have been using a Joyetech AIO unit. I ordered a Cuboid Mini bc it seemed like a decent step up from the AIO. It'll be here this Saturday. I have some questions about using these adjustable mods, but I'm having a hard time finding answers. I'm hoping you folks can point me in the right direction toward a guide that I can read up for answers. So here goes...

Thank you!

Theres only certain situations where you HAVE to use either power mode or temp mode.

Coils made of Kanthal = Power mode only (I believe theres 1 mod that claims to do TC with kanthal)
Coils made of Nickel ie: Ni200 or Titanium ie: Ti = Temp mode only

Other than that you're free to do whatever you please. Some people don't see the point of TC, I rarely use it with my builds but I like to know its there. More options never hurt.

Reactions: Tommy-Chi

LINKINLOGZ

Jun 9, 2016
some mods support tc for wire other then nickel although very few have it for kanthal which is what i use. i always wattage mode but if you are using wire that has temp control you might as well give it a try. it will allow you to vape more juice out of your cotton before dripping more. at the cost of a lowered temp hit (not hitting as hard). personally i wouldnt use nickel even though it should be safe to use in temp control.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread