Which of these Mods?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darco

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2011
India
Been vaping for over 10 days now and off analogs, using my egoT. I have tried an assortment of cartomizers and my review of my first equipment is here: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-my-first-big-purchase-egot-cartos-juice.html

However I am still not satisfied with my equipment and think I am ready to enter Modland :D . I specifically need a mod with some kind of tank system that holds a lot of juice and has visible juice levels. I preferably dont want to punch holes into cartos / attys everytime but on the other hand would love a rebuildable atty.

Here is what I care about:
  1. Some form of a tank system that holds atleast 3 - 4 ML of juice
  2. Standard 510 cartos or attys preferrably without punching or rebuildable attys
  3. Battery mod should have a lockout to avoid accidental activation
  4. Durable, preferably SS
  5. USB passthrough charging would be a plus
  6. Must be well designed aesthetically. This is of course a personally subjective topic. I'd like the tank and the battery mod to fit well together.
  7. Compact. A days work battery is good enough for me. My ego 650mah passthrough lasts me about a day and a half and I never feel the need to use the 1000mah that I got.
  8. I'd prefer to buy a new device and not get a used one.
What I dont care much about
  1. Variable voltage. I know how much this is recommended, but I dont think I want to get into adjusting voltages yet. I dont have an assortment of cartos to adjust either as I am new to vaping, so I essentially will get the cartos / attys that work best with the mod and keep it to that.
  2. I dont like wooden devices, prefer metal.
  3. I dont care if its expensive in the begenning and then lasts long enough to pay for itself over time
I have looked at nearly every mod in the mods DB and my head is now buzzing and eyes are sore! :blink: So heres what I have liked and shortlisted:
  1. GGTS / Stealth + UFS / Odysseus: This picture sort of defines what I would like to have! Image:GGStealth-UFS-Bic Rick.45cal 2.jpg - E-Cigarette Wiki I like the idea of the UFS / Odysseus tank and the fact that you could use a standard 510 atty without punching. I Like everything about the GG apart from the fact that most of this (apart from the basic stealth battery mod) is not available now! Also The new Odysseus doesnt seem to have a window to check on juice levels
  2. GLV3 - http://greatlakesvapor.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=97 Looks awesome and would like to have it, again unfortunately unavailable :( The GLV2 doesnt appeal to me as a tank would look funny on it I think. So the GLV3 converts it to a box mod. I dont want a vape that just takes the standard 510 thin cartos. I have my ego batts for that.
  3. The VaporLuxe: VaporLuxe Rev.2 - Silver This has a lot going for itself as it has a battery gauge and a passthrough USB charging feature thats cool. However in the Mod DB a review says its made by modifying a cheap cellphone charger and has some holes that are unused. So I am not sure if this is steel or plastic. Another con is that since its a box shaped device, it wont be very pocketable with a tank on it.
  4. The Precise plus: Super T Manufacturing, Innovative manufacturer of electronic cigarette products. - Dunno what battery size to get. The P+ does look appealing. I will of course have to figure out what tank system to use with this
  5. The Megalodon: THE MEGALODON - I like the fact that eGo sized cartos fit into this and tanks blend pretty well as well. Downside is that I have been trying to contact electronicstix using their contact form and they have not responded. I need these shipped to India and hence would require to talk to the vendor about adding in some safety documents if possible for the batteries etc. Also need to ship only dry equipment and no liquids / fileld cartos.
  6. Reo Grand / Mini: reosmods.com - I particularly am not interested in a box mod now, but know a lot of people swear by them. Most of the box mods are wooden, so I picked the Reo grand / mini in my list, which I would get eventually, just dont wish it to be the first mod I purchase. I would prefer a tank system IMO
  7. The Katanas shown here http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...50852-katana-poc-show-tell-2.html#post4844476 are totally drool-worthy but again seem to not be available hence last on my list.
So these are the mods I have shortlisted. I really like the GG a lot but if I have to wait for ages to get em, I might as well buy something else in the meantime. Am absolutely confused now. Recommendations?

Last edited:

Shel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 23, 2009
Los Angeles
  2. Standard 510 cartos or attys preferrably without punching or rebuildable attys
  6. Must be well designed aesthetically. This is of course a personally subjective topic. I'd like the tank and the battery mod to fit well together.
  7. Compact. A days work battery is good enough for me. My ego 650mah passthrough lasts me about a day and a half and I never feel the need to use the 1000mah that I got.
  1. Variable voltage. I know how much this is recommended, but I dont think I want to get into adjusting voltages yet. I dont have an assortment of cartos to adjust either as I am new to vaping, so I essentially will get the cartos / attys that work best with the mod and keep it to that.

I'm not all that familiar with all of the devices you've listed, but...

I wouldn't give up on variable voltage so quickly.

You may find that you purchase something, and two months later you've decided you MUST have a variable volt device!

You know, even if the device IS variable voltage, you can always set it and forget it! If some Tank or atty comes along that interests you in a few months, but it's low voltage, or it's high resistance and your device is fixed and won't work well with that resistance, your out of luck!

I've had my ProVari for over a year, and really wish I had been able to purchase it when I first got into vapping... would have saved me some money! However, while I LOVE vapping on it, with attys/tanks or Vision carto's, it isn't the most pocket friendly device! With a tank on it, it's rather large and somewhat heavy for carrying around when you're out and about.

Recently purchased an Ultimo. Plastic box mod, gives you nearly two days of battery life, but it only holds a Vision Extreme Regular carto...about 1.5ml of juice. More then enough for me if I'll be out and about for 3-4 hours, but not enough if I'll be gone all day.

Hope this helps somewhat! It's a very personal decision, what PV to get, but the journey is a blast!

vicsan

Sparky
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 15, 2011
IL
Been vaping for over 10 days now and off analogs, using my egoT. I have tried an assortment of cartomizers and my review of my first equipment is here: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-my-first-big-purchase-egot-cartos-juice.html

However I am still not satisfied with my equipment and think I am ready to enter Modland :D . I specifically need a mod with some kind of tank system that holds a lot of juice and has visible juice levels. I preferably dont want to punch holes into cartos / attys everytime but on the other hand would love a rebuildable atty.

2. I dont like wooden devices, prefer metal.
  3. I dont care if its expensive in the begenning and then lasts long enough to pay for itself over time
I have looked at nearly every mod in the mods DB and my head is now buzzing and eyes are sore! :blink: So heres what I have liked and shortlisted:
  1. GGTS / Stealth + UFS / Odysseus: This picture sort of defines what I would like to have! Image:GGStealth-UFS-Bic Rick.45cal 2.jpg - E-Cigarette Wiki I like the idea of the UFS / Odysseus tank and the fact that you could use a standard 510 atty without punching. I Like everything about the GG apart from the fact that most of this (apart from the basic stealth battery mod) is not available now! Also The new Odysseus doesnt seem to have a window to check on juice levels
  2. GLV3 - GLV-3 Electronic Cigarette [GLV-3] - $195.00 : Electronic Cigarettes and E-Liquid - Great Lakes Vapor Looks awesome and would like to have it, again unfortunately unavailable :( The GLV2 doesnt appeal to me as a tank would look funny on it I think. So the GLV3 converts it to a box mod. I dont want a vape that just takes the standard 510 thin cartos. I have my ego batts for that.
  3. The VaporLuxe: VaporLuxe Rev.2 - Silver This has a lot going for itself as it has a battery gauge and a passthrough USB charging feature thats cool. However in the Mod DB a review says its made by modifying a cheap cellphone charger and has some holes that are unused. So I am not sure if this is steel or plastic. Another con is that since its a box shaped device, it wont be very pocketable with a tank on it.
  4. The Precise plus: Super T Manufacturing, Innovative manufacturer of electronic cigarette products. - Dunno what battery size to get. The P+ does look appealing. I will of course have to figure out what tank system to use with this
  5. The Megalodon: THE MEGALODON - I like the fact that eGo sized cartos fit into this and tanks blend pretty well as well. Downside is that I have been trying to contact electronicstix using their contact form and they have not responded. I need these shipped to India and hence would require to talk to the vendor about adding in some safety documents if possible for the batteries etc. Also need to ship only dry equipment and no liquids / fileld cartos.
  6. Reo Grand / Mini: reosmods.com - I particularly am not interested in a box mod now, but know a lot of people swear by them. Most of the box mods are wooden, so I picked the Reo grand / mini in my list, which I would get eventually, just dont wish it to be the first mod I purchase. I would prefer a tank system IMO
  7. The Katanas shown here http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...50852-katana-poc-show-tell-2.html#post4844476 are totally drool-worthy but again seem to not be available hence last on my list.
So these are the mods I have shortlisted. I really like the GG a lot but if I have to wait for ages to get em, I might as well buy something else in the meantime. Am absolutely confused now. Recommendations?

If you like the Katana, you'll love the Zenesis. It's a stainless steel mod with built-in tank and a rebuildable atty...handmade by Zen~ in the uSA. If you're not in a hurry...the next batch goes out in February, if this month's list is full. I think he makes 10 a month. You can PM him and find out. Here's a link to the BEAUTIFUL Zenesis:http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...45748-house-hybrids-featuring-zenesis-pv.html

With a Zenesis you will have no more cartos or atomizers to buy and you don't have to worry about a tank system because it has its own! I think his mod is just BRILLIANT.

Be sure to watch Zen's video! He explains the mod really well.

When you're ready for a box mod, you really can't go wrong with the Reo. If you're a heavy vaper, you may want to look at the 6ml bottled Grand though.. :)

Hope this helps!

Creniker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2011
Salt Lake
Here is my opinion based on my likes combined with your listed wants.

Number 1:
Reo Grand. It's is all mechanical, which means not a while lot can go wrong. It has a 6ml bottom feeding system, which should be enough for 1 day. It has a good amount of versatility, either 18650 for 3.7, 2 cr123s for 6v, and there is also a 4.8v nimh battery that works with it. It has a locking switch and is made out of aircraft grade aluminum. This is mod thats going to last. And it has a huge cult following that are more then willing to help.

Number 2:

Megaladon. This is quickly becoming my favorite mods. You can easily use a tank on it, and you have he abIlity to make it bigger or smaller depending on you needs at the time. Also mechanical.

I like mechanical mods. These two mods are. Nice midrange mods that are known to work well. Just my 2cents.

darco

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2011
India
If you like the Katana, you'll love the Zenesis. It's a stainless steel mod with built-in tank and a rebuildable atty...handmade by Zen~ in the uSA. If you're not in a hurry...the next batch goes out in February, if this month's list is full. I think he makes 10 a month. You can PM him and find out. Here's a link to the BEAUTIFUL Zenesis:http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...45748-house-hybrids-featuring-zenesis-pv.html

With a Zenesis you will have no more cartos or atomizers to buy and you don't have to worry about a tank system because it has its own! I think his mod is just BRILLIANT.

Be sure to watch Zen's video! He explains the mod really well.

When you're ready for a box mod, you really can't go wrong with the Reo. If you're a heavy vaper, you may want to look at the 6ml bottled Grand though.. :)

Hope this helps!

Seems like its pretty much a perfect match, except for the lockable switch i guess. I am going to get this for sure and I have already asked Zen~ to put me in the list. But it seems like its going to be a long wait and I am currently without a vape thats making me happy and some more budget to spare. So I guess I am still looking for a vape! :D

Here is my opinion based on my likes combined with your listed wants.

Number 1:
Reo Grand. It's is all mechanical, which means not a while lot can go wrong. It has a 6ml bottom feeding system, which should be enough for 1 day. It has a good amount of versatility, either 18650 for 3.7, 2 cr123s for 6v, and there is also a 4.8v nimh battery that works with it. It has a locking switch and is made out of aircraft grade aluminum. This is mod thats going to last. And it has a huge cult following that are more then willing to help.

Number 2:

Megaladon. This is quickly becoming my favorite mods. You can easily use a tank on it, and you have he abIlity to make it bigger or smaller depending on you needs at the time. Also mechanical.

I like mechanical mods. These two mods are. Nice midrange mods that are known to work well. Just my 2cents.

Thanks for the suggestions. I like em both too, though I think I will wait a bit on the Box mods. I still dont quite like the idea of a bottle in the vape yet, but am sure if I get one, its going to be the Reo grand or mini.

I am also ruling out the VaporLuxe cuz its plastic. Things dont last around me unless they are designed tough :)

jkoppk

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2011
hanover,PA.
If you don't want to spend a lot of money try the VMod xl from Vapage.I just picked one up to see what it was all about and really love it.Takes a 18650 battery,switch locks out,9ml bottle,and performs great especially for $60 shipped with the coupon code.I have a ss ggts with ufsv2,reo grand,BuzzPro,7mm and 308 bullet mods,and many others and I was impressed by it.

Vapage V-MOD XL

Creniker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2011
Salt Lake
Seems like its pretty much a perfect match, except for the lockable switch i guess. I am going to get this for sure and I have already asked Zen~ to put me in the list. But it seems like its going to be a long wait and I am currently without a vape thats making me happy and some more budget to spare. So I guess I am still looking for a vape! :D

Thanks for the suggestions. I like em both too, though I think I will wait a bit on the Box mods. I still dont quite like the idea of a bottle in the vape yet, but am sure if I get one, its going to be the Reo grand or mini.

I am also ruling out the VaporLuxe cuz its plastic. Things dont last around me unless they are designed tough :)

If you need something tough perhaps look at the SS version of the Megaladon. Its a tough mod, and the versatility is a big plus. And the switch is awesome.

washvap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2011
wa
Another vote for the REO Grand. It's a very solid mod that is both easy to use and durable. You can't go wrong with it and it's a TRUE bottom feeder. Meaning that it doesn't need to be inverted to be fed like a gravity feeder. So, it's much better if you are driving or doing something that takes some concentration. I hope that you get a REO Grand and join our cult....oh...I mean team.

Out of the others listed then I would go with the GGTS which is also very well made and all mechanical. It's one of best out there and would be more popular if it didn't cost so much to get both the GGTS and UFS combo. Anyways, the choice is yours in the end.

darco

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2011
India
If you don't want to spend a lot of money try the VMod xl from Vapage.I just picked one up to see what it was all about and really love it.Takes a 18650 battery,switch locks out,9ml bottle,and performs great especially for $60 shipped with the coupon code.I have a ss ggts with ufsv2,reo grand,BuzzPro,7mm and 308 bullet mods,and many others and I was impressed by it.

Vapage V-MOD XL

Thanks for pointing this out, seems like a relatively inexpensive way to try out box mods. Looks cool too! Is there any comparison done between the Vapage and the Reos?

darco

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2011
India
It sounds like a simple Silver Bullet and a DCtank should meet your needs nicely, They use dual coil slit or punched cartomizers and tank size is your option.

This takes care of all your wants and desires, and will provide you with a great vape too.

Umm no not really. THe silver bullet and the buzz pro seem to be too large for my pocketable needs! The size being compact is important for me as I would essentially be having the vape in my pocket all day.

olwildbill

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2010
Kansas City Missouri
Well my vote will be for the Grand (REO) now let me explain a couple of things I heard you mention. First you really can't get a inexpensive bottom feeder and compare it to a REO. The quality is just not there. I have been vaping a year and a half now and also started out with all the tube mods and was a hard core dripper. Never thought I would like a box mod. once again it didn't look and feel right after using all these tube mods. I was VERY wrong it feels quite comfortable in my hand. My choice is the Grand and being the largest of his models its NOT that big. How much easier can it get a 18650 battery fill your 6ml bottle and vape away. Its fun to get other peoples opnions to see thier Mod of choice but it still comes down to what YOU want and what device will work best for you. Good Luck with your search!!!(but i'm certain at some time you will own a GRAND)

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
A vape in my pocket translates to a larger eGo battery and a box of Boge 2.0 Cartos. I have a vv box mod and it gets some use, but when I go out, it's the eGo and a 1000mah batt. Aside from the price, the thing that keeps me from jumping on the Provari is the diameter. It's just not a pants pocket device to me, especially in the summer when there's no jacket pocket to put it in.

I have my eye on the variable voltage eGo batts right now. My vv box mod is a home use device. Just my opinion. If you sit in an office all day, just about any design can be a good one. If you are out walking around from place to place, then compact size is a plus.

Last edited:

mooreted

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2011
California
I had the same problem: wanted to get a mod, but every one was out of stock. I ended up with an Indulgence V3, but it doesn't meet your size requirement.

The top of my list were the GG stealth and GLV2 super mini.

As to punching cartos for tanks, you can buy pre-punched cartos.

Sent from my easy chair using brainwaves.

darco

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2011
India
Thanks for all your suggestions people, I just ordered my first Mod, the GG Stealth SS from GG Stainless Steel Stealth USA Only Now to wait for the Odysseus to complete the GG setup. I also got on the list for the next batch of the awesome Zenesis Mini. So I am soon going to have 2 pocket sized marvels, but looks like the wait on both is going to be long and frustrating :)

I also intend to get a Reo soon, just after I have read a little more about the Reos and figure out if I should get the Mini or the Grand.

washvap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2011
wa
+1

The build quality of a REO is unmatched and you have a choice between aircraft aluminum and wood. Also, it's the most highly recognized and reputable bottom feeders on the market. There's also a one year warranty and unmatched customer service from Rob that clearly stands behind his products. Lastly, there is a patent on his design.

Well my vote will be for the Grand (REO) now let me explain a couple of things I heard you mention. First you really can't get a inexpensive bottom feeder and compare it to a REO. The quality is just not there. I have been vaping a year and a half now and also started out with all the tube mods and was a hard core dripper. Never thought I would like a box mod. once again it didn't look and feel right after using all these tube mods. I was VERY wrong it feels quite comfortable in my hand. My choice is the Grand and being the largest of his models its NOT that big. How much easier can it get a 18650 battery fill your 6ml bottle and vape away. Its fun to get other peoples opnions to see thier Mod of choice but it still comes down to what YOU want and what device will work best for you. Good Luck with your search!!!(but i'm certain at some time you will own a GRAND)

jkoppk

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2011
hanover,PA.
Thanks for pointing this out, seems like a relatively inexpensive way to try out box mods. Looks cool too! Is there any comparison done between the Vapage and the Reos?

I have both the Reo Grand and the Vmod XL,the Reo is my home box mod and the Vmod my on the go box mod.The reo is like a tank solid aluminum and the vmod is an aluminum shell over a one piece plastic mod.Both are all mechanical and easy to maintain,and both can be used at 3.7,5, and 6 volts.I actually like the feed system on the vmod better than the reo,no leaks or catch cup to fill up.I can also say that the vmod vapes as well if not better than the reo when it comes to the flavor of your juices.I'm not sure if it's the way the air flow is on the vmod or what but this mod gives great flavor.The vmod also fits your hand and feels better because it's rounded.For $60 shipped this thing gives the reo a hell of a run.Don't get me wrong I still love my reo and i'm sure it will out last my vmod but I have to give credit where credit is due.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread