Which one? RM5, RM6 or IGO W?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JetMac

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2014
Valdosta, GA, USA
My wife's RM6 just came in today, I installed it on her grand and once everything was coiled and wicked we tried it and it's not as flavorful as my RM5. Maybe it's new still and once we put it thru its paces maybe the flavor I'm hoping will increase.

She had a RM5, but lost the top cap last weekend. I just ordered her the RM6 to try something different. As of right now the only thing I don't like is the flavor production. I can't speak about the IGO, so I won't.

Comparing the RM5 and RM6, first off. The 5 doesn't come with a drip tip, not a deal breaker but the 6 does. The 6 has way better AFC, they both have AFC but the 5 doesn't really matter where the ring is, it's still very airy unless you completely close it off. The ring on the 5 doesn't really stay put where you want it, because of that, I just leave it wide open at all times. I'm a lung hitter so it doesn't bother me at all, I actually prefer it opened all the way up. The vapor production from both attys is about the same, but so far I've noticed flavor out of the 5 is much better. As far as looks go, the 6 looks way cleaner and more sleek than the 5, I've also noticed so far that the 6 feels much heavier on my wife's grand then my 5 on mine. It just feels more top heavy and I think that's because it has a slightly taller chamber. It also looks like the deck on the 6 has a little more room to build on and there may be more room between the posts as well. I don't like the Phillips screws on the 6 vs the Allen's on my 5 and that's because I just prefer the Allen's over Phillips screws.

Another thing I have to mention is that when I went to screw the rm6 on the grand, the threads felt a little tight. Once the 6 stopped turning I noticed a fairly large gap under the deck. I was supplied with extra o-rings and screws and thought initially maybe one of those o-rings was for underneath the deck. Long story short, I tightened the deck as much as I could to get it to seat all the way, then I built coils and went to dry fire and nothing. There was still a small gap under the deck so I "persuaded" it to go on the rest of the way. (Scary and luckily didn't break anything) then it finally fired and I was able to use it. Again, after that...when we first tried it, the flavor wasn't there and isn't even close to the 5. I just hope the flavor starts to improve, if it doesn't I'll be ordering another 5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JetMac

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2014
Valdosta, GA, USA
Update: after vaping on the rm6 for the last couple of hours, the flavor did improve substantially. It's definitely much better now and pretty comparable to the flavor I'm getting out of my rm5. The rm6 is so far a great atty and I'm overall pleased with the purchase. If I were you I'd look at the rm6 because you have more options when it comes to AFC. The deck of the rm6 is in fact bigger than the deck on the rm5. Only things that could be improved for the rm6 are Allen screws instead of Phillips, and horizontal slots instead of holes in the posts. The rm5 has slots in the post so it can except flat ribbon wire, or you could make double or triple parallel coils with ease. Below are pics of the deck and attys for comparison. Hope this helps with your decision.

018753cc190487f49fd28c11e4a43cfd.jpg

75560733bb77fa6195bc7decfdac82b4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
Update: after vaping on the rm6 for the last couple of hours, the flavor did improve substantially. It's definitely much better now and pretty comparable to the flavor I'm getting out of my rm5. The rm6 is so far a great atty and I'm overall pleased with the purchase. If I were you I'd look at the rm6 because you have more options when it comes to AFC. The deck of the rm6 is in fact bigger than the deck on the rm5. Only things that could be improved for the rm6 are Allen screws instead of Phillips, and horizontal slots instead of holes in the posts. The rm5 has slots in the post so it can except flat ribbon wire, or you could make double or triple parallel coils with ease. Below are pics of the deck and attys for comparison. Hope this helps with your decision.

I don't own either of these atty's, but will make a suggestion to you. Every atty I have ever vaped always vaped better, (flavor and vapor), with the coils right at the edge of the atty deck, directly in front and centered with the air hole or AFC.... Just an observation...

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
I have an RM5. Nice, but I am not blown away by it. First dual coil, usually running about 0.5- 0.6 total Ohms. But with the VAF ring open it whistles. And I seem to have a problem over- squonking then juice seeps out the air ports. Are these issues still present in the RM6, or are the air ports higher/ shaped so as not to whistle ?

Bigflyrodder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2014
Boston, MA
The RM6 is basically a BF Stillare which I think is one of the best RDAs out there for mech mod use, have one and love it. It is a beast mind you but if you like to wrap big nasty dual 24ga coils this is the topper for you for sure.

If you are looking for a great atty that offer big thick cloud lung hits while still retaining a lot of flavor I would highly suggest looking at the RM4 though. It is a BF version of the Atomic RDA which is also a fantastic unit.

Cptfunpants

ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2012
VA
People keep referencing lung hits, I vape mouth to lung. Should that influence my decision when picking up an atty?

You guys that mentioned you are drilling your own BF attys, any tips/videos you could link me to? I would be interested in getting some attys from fast tech and giving it a shot without having to break the bank.

Doffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2014
Australia
People keep referencing lung hits, I vape mouth to lung. Should that influence my decision when picking up an atty?

You guys that mentioned you are drilling your own BF attys, any tips/videos you could link me to? I would be interested in getting some attys from fast tech and giving it a shot without having to break the bank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKn2O0oVXMg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFj92vGrOaY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNWjuBudAzY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJSYdXOvMzU

that is a good series. i never noticed it was by quigs before today

JetMac

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2014
Valdosta, GA, USA
I don't own either of these atty's, but will make a suggestion to you. Every atty I have ever vaped always vaped better, (flavor and vapor), with the coils right at the edge of the atty deck, directly in front and centered with the air hole or AFC.... Just an observation...

I'm completely satisfied with the amount of flavor I'm getting with my coils setup exactly how they are in the pictures. I've noticed my flavor improves when I build a double parallel 24 gauge, I'll give the coil 4 wraps around 5/64 bit. It usually ohms out in between .2 - .25, depending on the length of the tails. It's a nice warm vape and makes the flavor of my juice pop.

Next time I recoil, I'll keep what you suggested in mind and give that a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bigflyrodder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2014
Boston, MA

Your vaping style makes all the difference in which topper will work best for you, absolutely. There are very few RDAs, IMO, that work well for both mouth to lung and direct lung. In fact, the only one may be the VA cyclone with the AFC cap which happens to have a single pinhole option in the AFC.

Fishcakes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 5, 2013
nj
Please do report back!

So ive been using the igo w for a bit and honestly, with stock air holes and dual coils, im getting just as much flavor as the rm2 with mouth to lung. Im running this atty at around .5 ohms and ive noticed no difference in battery life. If one was to vape straight up lung style, theyd have to open the air holes a bit though, the draw is too tight stock. (Just my opinion) there are also many many different caps you can order for the igo w if you google a bit. Hope i helped!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread