Which rebuiltable to get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rnln

ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2013
SCal
I have been using several different "tops" and the 2 I keep are the protank and the RSST. The RSST is much better in smell/taste and hit and is easy to rebuild, but the protank is convenience to take out. The problem with the protank is that it's so blank, no taste/smell/hit.The major problem with the RSST is that the cap and tip will pop off easily. With the protank, I can put it anywhere even in my back pocket without any problem.
I wonder if there is a rebuildable which:
- taste/smell/hit is as good as the RSST,
- rebuild as easy as with RSST,
- and cap is as tight (screw in?) as the protank?
Thanks.

rnln

ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2013
SCal
Last edited:

CptJYossarian

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2014
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Stay away from the Kayfun Lites if you're looking for a good airflow. They draw like a protank...ugh. The 3.1 is vastly better. The Orchid is a really good tank, and I have yet to have any issues of leakage with mine. If you're looking for a good tank, check the following out:

Kayfun (or Russians!) 3.1
Orchid
Erkologin (or however it's spelled, ech)
Taifun
Fogger (harder to build a bit)

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
I have a Tobeco Orchid clone and it does not leak. It screws together. You can use a Kayfun quartz nano kit on it, but I have not tried mine yet. The end pieces of the nano kit just push into the ends of the quartz tank to form the tank assembly, then the assembled tank screws onto the Orchid/Kayfun top cap and base.

To answer one of your original questions: The difference between the Orchid and Kayfun - Orchid is dual coil, Kayfun is single. Also, as stated above, the Kayfun has a much tighter draw than the Orchid, more like a Protank. The Lemo (single coil) and Orchid both have a much more open draw than a Kayfun and are better suited to direct lung hits.

retic1959

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2013
New Orleans , Louisiana
Thanks CptJYossarian and everyone, Do these has all parts screw in, or any of them has pushed in part (such as cap, tips, etc)?
If you want an atty with all screw in parts as you put it then I suggest a Kayfun 3.1 clone , the Kayfun lites or KFL have push in 510 driptips , the 3.1 has a screw in driptip . HCigar Kayfun 3.1 RBA Clone

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
I second (or third?) the Orchid vote, awesome. Got my V2 clone from Fasttech and want a few more of them. (but have a big dripper clone on its way)

No leaking for me either, apart from when walking with it in my hand (I blame my long swinging gorilla arms), it might have been because of more shallow hits, idk. On the whole it is a fantastic step up from the Kayfun, a couple of design tweaks and it would be incredible.
I did have a slight issue with dry hits when using a high VG liquid and some Kayfun parts, due to the very narrow gap between chimney base and tank wall making it difficult for the air bubbles to escape. I guess that the airbubbles got sucked back in to the chamber rather than juice.

Another option for you to consider is the Erlkonigin clone, personally not tried it, but it does have great reviews. It also has the benefit of a threaded chimney top, which I gather makes it possible to check/change wicks without having to empty the tank first.

rnln

ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2013
SCal
Thanks all again for opinions. I hope you guys don't mind some more questions.

Between Russian, Orchid, Kayfun and Taifun I see oon FastTech, I think I pick Orchid first choice due to the height. I like my device to be shorter. Right now with Vamo and RSST, it's way too long.

To make sure, are these all screwed in? Screw tip is a plus but it's ok to be pushed in, any other parts is more important. Again, the reason I can't take the RSST out because 100% of the time I do, I made the cap pop and fall off.

Can these use SS mesh as the RSST. One of the reason I like my RSST is because I can rebuild it in couple mins. Refilling fluid is quick too.

Do I need to empty the tank to rewick?

I tend to lean over to the v3 because of the height, but if you have any experience, please comment.

Orchid v3: $11.18 Orchid V3 Styled Rebuildable Tank Atomizer - 2.5-3.0ml / stainless steel + PC tank at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
Orchid v4: $12.53 Orchid V4 Styled Rebuildable Tank Atomizer - 4.0ml / stainless steel + PC tank at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Thanks again.

Last edited:

drmarble

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2014
Oklahoma City, OK, USA
the orchid is dual coil. That can be difficult with a vamo because you need to keep the ohms above 1.2 or so. Dual coils are also harder to build than single. The fogger 4 and 5 are also dual coil and have the same problem. I would recommend a russian or kayfun lite+. The only push on part is the drip tip which is the same as on a protank 2 or 3. Nothing leaks if it comes out. I also like the kayfun 3.1 alot but they are longer. My personal favorite is the taifun. Many folks like the lemo but I haven't tried one.

retic1959

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2013
New Orleans , Louisiana
As people stated above, the Kayfun lite has less air flow, comparable to the protank. Do you know if it is possible to drill the hole bigger? I prefer bigger air flow. I drilled all of my protanks and RSST
The one thing that wasn't stated is the Kayfun is far superior to the protank in terms of flavor and function , EhPro makes KFL clones with dual airflow , probably your best bet if you want a single coil atty , one thing you need to understand is that none of the RTA's are going to be as airy as your RSST .

rnln

ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2013
SCal
====================================================
After some youtubes and some thoughts, please allow me to wipe the board and have new questions

1- can someone give me a comparison between the orchid and a genesis such as the RSST regarding smell/flavor/hit?

2- drmarble mentioned it's hard to get above 1.2oms on the Orchid (dual coils). How hard is it? Isn't it just rolling more coils means higher resistance? I am ucing variable wattage mod (Vamo, itaste SVD)

3- How tight the cap on the Kraken is? Is it just like the RSST or tighter so that I can put it in my back pocket to take it to work/beach?

Thanks guys

WattWick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Cold Norway
If you're already capable of setting up mesh wicks, I'm not so sure if you'll find a whole lot better experience in the pressure feeder department (KFL/Erlkonigen/Orchid/Rose/Squape etc). While I haven't tried one myself, I'd take a closer look at the Squape R for it's (seemingly) easy ability to use mesh wicks. I must repeat: I have not tried one myself so I have no idea if it's any good.

I use gennies exclusively. I do own a KFL which has been collecting dust for most of its life. Even if set up with a mesh wick (which is sort of tricky), it does not satisfy my preferences like gennies tend to do. And, IMHO, it's a PITA to do any kind of work on.

The Kraken is an excellent atomizer, IMHO. While the top cap is not super-snug by any measure, the sleeve that partially covers the tank prevents the cap from being knocked off sideways like a RSST or Aga or such. At least mine has never come off... but I don't carry mine in back pockets.

WattWick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Cold Norway
Sat22 anyone?.....looks to be a pretty solid and well locked up genny. Though kind of small ish.

The Squape is a good single-coil open air pressure tank type deal for sure. Plus it's easy to fill and tweak your builds without too much fuss or tank draining. I prefer the Erlkonigin.....

Not something you'd want to carry in a back pocket, tho. Twist that cap and you got yourself a shorted coil. Not likely to happen in "normal use scenarios", but it does sound like OPs pockets are a bit more hectic than mine :)

That being said... I think the clone I got is pretty nice. It is indeed small, but it manages to be so without compromising too much on the liquid capacity. Actually holds ~0.5ml more than the Kraken even tho it's noticeably smaller.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread